Author Topic: Invalid Server Response on cellular network  (Read 3055 times)

arthur

Invalid Server Response on cellular network
« on: April 23, 2020, 05:45:37 pm »
Hi,

I looked for this error in the forum, and while there seems to be some variations of it (e.g., happening only on home network, while doing search, etc.), I couldn't find this instance.

For the last 6 months or so (it worked fine before then), I started getting this error that is sometimes "Error checking mail: Invalid server response" and sometimes "Error checking mail: Invalid server response: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden.

It works fine when I'm on my home Wi-Fi network, but happens when I'm outside and on my cellular data network (AT&T).

And the type of email account I've been using is Exchange – I seem to have the Incoming Server type as EWS and Server name as outlook.office365.com (email address *@live.com)

I kind of remember sending a message to Support a while ago but getting no response. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate.

Thanks,

– Arthur
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 06:21:03 pm by arthur »

chris122380

Re: Invalid Server Response on cellular network
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 10:11:03 am »
Hear are a few things to check as the server type looks correct.
  • Incoming SSL port 443
  • Outgoing TLS 587
  • Maybe try disabling data compression on mobile as not all cell providers may support it (neither dose all email servers but I know Microsoft dose)
  • Settings - Network - Mobile Data settings

I use a office 365 account which is similar to live.com and I've never had issues. You could always backup the settings and start from scratch so it's using default settings.

arthur

Re: Invalid Server Response on cellular network
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 10:26:43 pm »

Thanks chris122380 for the response.

I was able to check that the incoming port is as you describe. I couldn't find the outgoing port settings. Account Setup -> Manual -> Next takes you to the Save settings without showing the outgoing port, but if it has to do with ports, this issue would be more of Incoming one, I'd think.

The only data compression option I could find is within AquaMail (which is maybe what you meant), and it looks like it is all disabled for Mobile Data and Wi-Fi.

I didn't know that I could save the AquaMail settings. So I did that, even uninstalled and reinstalled AquaMail, and then added the account back, and it looks like I still have the same problem – errors checking mail when on mobile data.

What I noticed while trying to add back the account is the following:
  • The problem is happening when the account is added as Exchange mail.
  • I'm not able to add it as Office 365. I get an error on the Microsoft login screen it brings up, where it says,

"User account ...@live.com from identity provider 'live.com' does not exist in tenant 'Aqua Mail' and cannot access the application '...' (Aqua Mail) in that tenant. The account needs to be added as an external user in the tenant first. Sign out and sign in again with a different Azure Active Directory account"

Note that even though this (live.com) is not a work/corporate account, I have Office 365 on my computers where I use Outlook etc., so I thought I would be able to use this option here.
  • If I add it as Hotmail or Outlook.com, the mail sync seems to work through IMAP (except for Search, which I can live with). However, this doesn't provide the option of syncing of calendar to the device (through other apps, like Business Calendar 2, which can keep my device calendar in sync with Outlook on Windows, as long as BC2 is not having the same sync issues).
So in the absence of a better solution, I added the account twice to AquaMail, once as Hotmail/Outlook.com account, and second as Exchange. I'll rely on the first one for mail sync and the second one for calendar presence. The calendar sync is also not working when on mobile data, but hopefully it doesn't need to be synced as often as email (until it does?...)

Thanks again.

[/font]
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 10:31:24 pm by arthur »