Author Topic: Spam spam spam  (Read 8462 times)

phred

Re: Spam spam spam
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2023, 02:28:33 am »
Unfortunately the forum doesn't have a feature where we can add captcha or other filter so that we can prevent these kind of spam users and messages to register.
The forum on which I'm a moderator uses SMF forum software which is the same as this forum. The registration has an option to provide a captcha module. I'm fairly certain the admin of the forum does not pay for this although it may be an optional (no cost) add-in. While there are some dedicated spammers who have lots of time on their hands, since we implemented this, the number of registrations by spammers has been cut by more than 90%. We used get get about 10-20 posts a day, but we now get a couple a week. Our forum uses SMF 2.0.17 while AM's version is 2.0.15.

Perhaps it's worth investigating.

Michael Maslarov, Aqua Mail

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2023, 05:25:32 am »
Hi phred, thanks for the tip. I'll try to see if I could implement it next week.

phred

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2023, 05:31:47 am »
Hi phred, thanks for the tip. I'll try to see if I could implement it next week.
You're welcome, Michael. Hopefully you can get it working. I seem to recall it took some trial and error to get it working, but once enabled, spam registrations really dropped off. And since there's no control over the questions asked on the captcha, we get the idiots who complain that the required answer is incorrect. "Which of the following is an insect?" It shows four choices (I can't remember what they are) but the "correct" answer is spider and we get people complaining that a spider isn't an insect. <sigh>