Author Topic: Delete means Delete, is it possible by any combination of settings?  (Read 2094 times)

vinces

I love everything about Aquamail except this one thing. I cannot find a way that handling emails on the mobile deletes them all. The closest I have is to have left swipe set up to delete permanently and right swipe to delete only. I have a few email accounts including personal pop accounts, yahoo and gmail. For all except gmail the delete permanently works, so I review them on the phone and anything I delete doesn't turn up in Outlook 2016, except all the gmail ones do and need re-deleting.

So I swap to Delete as the norm and Outlook is peaceful with no deleted emails turning up whatsoever. But emails start racking up in the deleted folders for all accounts and the only way to clean them up is with the Purge all deleted folders button. So manual housekeeping. There is supposed to be an option for auto-purging deleted folders on closing the app but that has been neutered by an explanation I read elsewhere here while searching this topic and finding many lamenting aspects of this that the feature was rendered ineffective out of concern for people's stupidity / the effort with arguing with them about their behaviours.

Whilst the New Features board is closed for good reason, this is just a request to fix this one truly basic need for a modern email client:

DELETE MEANS DELETE

Where do we get that? Can we have it, please... ;D

It has just occurred to me that another solution may be to change all the email accounts to one colour and gmail to be another. Because you can't really tell it is one of the 'special' ones when looking at the list and deleting them. So I can remember which way to swipe and at least the dross of modern emails won't keep accumulating. Hmm, it's a workaround of a topic that frustrates a lot of users, easily deduced from reading the many variants of posts around the topic. Often unanswered, wonder if this one gets the same fate...? But hey, life's good, and this one little thing in Aquamail could only make it better! Thank you.

vinces

Re: Delete means Delete, is it possible by any combination of settings?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 09:48:38 am »
As it turns out, colour coding is a great workaround. Gmail account set to red, work related accounts to green and personal ones to yellow, which includes yahoo which perma-delete just fine.

So I swipe the usual way to delete any light coloured ones and red ones go the other way. Simple. There is an intermittent task to purge deleted folders, but at least all deleted messages never turn up again in Outlook when my main PC clears everything off the servers and into my .pst's

Hope this tip helps others frustrated by the non-deleting 'delete permanently' function :)

vinces

Re: Delete means Delete, is it possible by any combination of settings?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 12:05:47 pm »

Have you seen that it's possible to set the same swipe action (to left for example) to delete permanently messages in an account, and the same swipe action (to left) to move messages to deleted folder on another account? You'll see different icons (X or "trash"), X being for delete permanently.
Yes, this is the whole point. Delete permanently DOESN'T with Gmail, but is fine for the rest including Yahoo. So I have the permanent delete as the normal left swipe action and the other way for a regular delete on any red (Gmail) ones. So none of these unwanted emails turn up in the Outlook account later for re-deletion.

Of course I would prefer the 'delete means delete' solution, but the only way that is remotely possible is to use the Delete function only, in which case the lot get chucked into another repository for later manual purging. From memory, even the auto-purge doesn't do that job, but possibly I haven't run down every rabbit hole there. I just wanted to get rid of the 'in your face' problem of re-birthed deleted emails.