Poll

Should we do that?

Yes!
0 (0%)
No!
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closes: August 23, 2019, 11:41:09 am

Author Topic: Change of Drag Address Between To and CC Fields  (Read 100 times)

Change of Drag Address Between To and CC Fields
« on: August 16, 2019, 11:38:55 am »
Hi all,

We've received a few user inquiries about the current way that addresses are dragged between the "To" and "CC" fields.

On most devices Aqua Mail disables the copy/paste pop-up and some users cannot easily edit/copy/paste an address they've already entered. We can change that, by disabling the drag address function.

We'd love to hear your opinion on this, since that's a pretty big change.

Paris Geek

Re: Change of Drag Address Between To and CC Fields
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 12:40:34 pm »
Hi all,

We've received a few user inquiries about the current way that addresses are dragged between the "To" and "CC" fields.

On most devices Aqua Mail disables the copy/paste pop-up and some users cannot easily edit/copy/paste an address they've already entered. We can change that, by disabling the drag address function.

We'd love to hear your opinion on this, since that's a pretty big change.

Don't change the current behavior.

Currently, users can easily edit an address it it's a new one, entered by themselves in Aquamail field (to or cc). It it's an address present in Contacts, they can always change it in Contacts, where change should occur.
Regarding copy/paste, drag/drop is a better feature.

PS. Could you post examples of user complaints about the current behavior,  to better understand their perceived issue?

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 03:50:23 pm »
Hi,

Just note these are not in the Forum. We've received them on the support mail. Here are the latest two:
- "I tried today copy an email address form a "to" field and wasn't able to do do it. It's not in my address book, it landed there when I pressed an email address in some app. I wanted to copy it from there and paste it somewhere else."

- "When I try to copy an email address in "to" fields, I can't see the copy/paste options and address is not highlighted."

Can you please put a vote down if you already haven't? We'll surely take your opinion very seriously since you are a Hero Member. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

phred

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 04:10:43 pm »
Hmmm ... I never realized the ability to drag/drop between recipients existed. But now that I tried it, it's so straight-forward, I feel there's no need to change it. This functionality is so much easier than any copy/cut/paste operation could be. Long-press > drag > done. Couldn't be easier.

I appreciate that you're reaching out to users for their opinion on this before you make any changes.

Paris Geek

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 05:09:35 pm »
Hi,

Just note these are not in the Forum. We've received them on the support mail. Here are the latest two:
- "I tried today copy an email address form a "to" field and wasn't able to do do it. It's not in my address book, it landed there when I pressed an email address in some app. I wanted to copy it from there and paste it somewhere else."

- "When I try to copy an email address in "to" fields, I can't see the copy/paste options and address is not highlighted."

Can you please put a vote down if you already haven't? We'll surely take your opinion very seriously since you are a Hero Member. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Thank you. I confirm that I prefer to keep drag/drop feature. Please don't break the app, as designed thoroughly by Kostya.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:21:51 pm by Paris Geek »

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 11:01:08 pm »
The "chips" UI is actually a library made by Google, it's used in Gmail and SMS apps. I just fixed it up a little.

It does have an option to make long press display a popup to "copy" an address. You can see that in Gmail app.

What would Brian Boitano Kostya do? Two things:

- I'd educate users about the drag and drop feature, in case they want to copy/paste between To and CC / BCC

- I'd consider a setting (yes a new setting, always need more settings) to change between drag and drop and the "copy" popup. Easy to do, like I said the code is already there, in RecipientView class (if my memory serves).

PS - hello there you all :)

PPS - just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 11:03:07 pm by Kostya Vasilyev »
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

mikeone

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 12:28:50 am »
Hi Kostya, great to have you here in the forum from time to time.  :)

@Nedialko,
There is already an option in the settings / Contacts / section "Composing and sending" / Contact Chips.

Disabling this option changes the behavior and shows the contacts as text (not as "chips"). This enables the user to mark a mail address and use copy / paste.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:30:21 am by mikeone »