Author Topic: Rate dialog  (Read 11321 times)

Nadejda Fudulska, MobiSystems, AquaMail support

• Administrator
    • MobiSystems
Rate dialog
« on: August 01, 2019, 03:41:15 pm »
Hi all,

As of August 2019, Google Play will change the way app ratings are calculated. Currently users see the lifetime cumulative rating and from now on Play Store will place a greater significance on the most recent ratings.

At the moment Aqua Mail’s rating is 4.5. After the new calculation it will be 4.3.

In the new version of Aqua Mail we made a change and the rate dialog will be shown to all users (free/pro). If you rate the app, it will not bug you anymore. If you tap on Not Now, the rate dialog will be shown again in three weeks.

Nadia

Justin

Re: Rate dialog
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 04:08:05 pm »
At the moment Aqua Mail’s rating is 4.5. After the new calculation it will be 4.3.

I am not surprised by that.

In the new version of Aqua Mail we made a change and the rate dialog will be shown to all users (free/pro). If you rate the app, it will not bug you anymore. If you tap on Not Now, the rate dialog will be shown again in three weeks.

Dialog popup is ok, but I strongly recommend three options, which are also common elsewhere:

- Button "Rate now"
- Button "Not Now" or "Remind me" (will see the dialog again in three weeks)
- Button "Never"

If you only offer the first two options, users will feel compelled and will rate worse. You can see this with other apps. Three options are fair.

Listen to users, additionally avoid tracking ;) and you will get better ratings :).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 04:10:56 pm by Justin »

Justin

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 06:28:17 pm »
If you force me to rate, you'll get 1 star (only for forcing).

You can see in play store, that this is what a lot of users do.

Rather getting no rating than 1-star-rating.

phred

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 09:41:09 pm »
Propose "never" option. If you force me to rate, you'll get 1 star (only for forcing).
Exactly what I do. If I'm -forced- to rate an app, I give it the lowest possible rating even if I like the app and use it multiple times a day. Developers should not be forcing users to rate.

A brief example: I have a personal policy of never responding to 'review us' or 'rate me' requests. But I happen to be currently dealing with an eBay seller who has gone over and beyond (in a good way) what I have ever experienced from eBay sellers in the past. Once the situation was resolved, I thanked him via email and mentioned that while I never post reviews, I would make an exception in his case because he has expanded the definition of excellent customer service.

Make me rate you will make me hate you. Don't bother me every three weeks. Give me the option to decline rating you.

mikeone

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 12:32:19 am »

Propose "never" option. If you force me to rate, you'll get 1 star (only for forcing).

Nadia, you should listen to users, especially to the members on this forum. If not, MobiSystems will see how the current rating of 4.3 will go down even further.

phred

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 05:49:01 am »
Nadia, you should listen to users, especially to the members on this forum. If not, MobiSystems will see how the current rating of 4.3 will go down even further.
Exactly what will happen.

[rant]

In addition, it seems like Mobi is spending more time and resources on how to improve its image and less time improving the app, eliminating tracking, bug fixing, and introducing new features.

I'm ready to rate you a 1 simply because you're implementing a forced rating mechanism. That's not adding a new feature.

This never would've happened during Kostya's watch. I don't blame him for selling. I blame Mobi for doing what Mobi does best - taking a decent, well-working program and puttomg it into the ground. Which is where you're heading with these recent "changes."

[/rant]

• Administrator
    • MobiSystems
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 10:52:21 am »
Hi all,

Thank you for the comments.

You are not forced to rate Aqua Mail. You have two options - Not Now and Rate. If you tap Not now - the rate dialog will be shown once again in three weeks. If you tap Not Now again, the rate dialog will not be shown anymore.
If you tap Rate, the rate dialog will not be shown anymore. 

Nadia

Justin

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 11:01:26 am »
Hi...
If you tap Not now - the rate dialog will be shown once again in three weeks.

We all understood that point.

If you tap Not Now again, the rate dialog will not be shown anymore.

- Does the user know this at 1st tapping?
- Why so complicated?

Users will feel to be forced. Please give another option "Never".

Bottom line:
You could read it several times in this thread. But it seems you want to ignore the user recommendations.

Do what you want, you will get the result. Probably a lot of 1-star-ratings. We just wanted to avoid bad ratings by providing a button "Never".

• Administrator
    • MobiSystems
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 11:49:06 am »
Hi Justin,

Thank you for the suggestion. We will consider adding this option in the near future.

Nadia

Michael Maslarov, Aqua Mail

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 05:48:03 pm »
Just wanted to thank everybody in this forum and all of our users for the great success of Aqua Mail! We hit the record-breaking rating of 4.9 on Google Play!

No other email app has such a high rating at this moment on the market.

Thank you, all, and we will keep on doing our best to deserve this rating for as long as possible!

hpg38

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 06:16:59 pm »
I still see 4.5 on the French play store anyway.

mikeone

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 09:32:36 pm »
Also 4.9 on the German Play Store for the free version.

However, for the Pro key only a 4.1 rating.

phred

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 11:33:12 pm »
Also 4.9 on the German Play Store for the free version.

However, for the Pro key only a 4.1 rating.
Exactly the same for the US Store

hpg38

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 12:01:25 am »
that's it is 4.9 also on the French store  ;)

Michael Maslarov, Aqua Mail

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 11:24:56 am »

You are right guys, it's for the main free version of Aqua Mail.

As Nadia mentioned earlier we have enabled the rate dialogue to appear to exististing users too.

@Paris Geek, I confirm that we haven't bought any reviews, this is pure Aqua Mail users all over :)

ps: It's much more efficient to spend money on paid marketing on Google ads than to buy fake reviews because you can see the direct result. Also, Google Play has changed the way it forms the rating by putting bigger emphasis on the latest performance and not so much of the rating from the beginning. This means that Aqua Mail is an app of highest quality not only since it was first published but means that it has improved and it is even better now.

This result is a big reward for our team and it's a testimony of appreciation of all the hard work of everybody on the team and not least to Kostya too!