Author Topic: Notch vs full bezel  (Read 1696 times)

davydm

Notch vs full bezel
« on: May 29, 2019, 07:24:29 am »
I recently bought a Nokia 7.1. IMO, it's great value for money. I'm mostly enjoying it.

This phone is one of the (now many) with a "notch" at the top of the screen. Android Pie, however, offers an option for "full bezel" under Display settings. With this enabled, the main display of the phone doesn't visually "leak" up into the notifications area. The trick seems simple: make the status bar at the top of the screen black and constrain apps to the area below. Personally I find it much better than with the option turned off - it's as if I'm using a nice big screen with my status bar items in their own designated area.

The problem is that some apps appear to have minor layout / placement issues with this option enabled. AquaMail is one of them: with "full bezel" enabled, the undo snackbar item which appears when, eg, archiving a mail, appears largely obscured by the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen. It appears to be shifted downward from where it should be by the height of the bezel. Turning off the "full bezel" option restored the correct positioning of this ui element on next use.