Author Topic: No access to IMAP server when using VPN  (Read 2315 times)

Oceanwaves

No access to IMAP server when using VPN
« on: February 14, 2019, 05:16:09 pm »
Hello,

I have a NAS (Synology) at home which runs my private IMAP server. In aquamail configuration I configured the DynDNS name for my router and a special port. All access to this port is forwarded to the NAS and a normal IMAP port.

Everything works fine, I can access the IMAP server at home (local WiFi), using mobil network or public WiFi.

However, when using a VPN connection to my router, Aquamail is not able to contact the IMAP server.

Again, everything else works fine with VPN. I can surfe the Web and I can connect devices in my local LAN.

Any idea, why Aquamail is not able to contact the IMAP server?

plsfixit

Re: No access to IMAP server when using VPN
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 10:50:36 am »
It is not a problem with aquamail but a network config issue:
You should define a rule on your router that if traffic coming from your vpn is looking for the mail server ip it should instead of the public ip look for it in your lan ( nat). Also you need to do the same witht traffic coming from ur mail server..

Also keep in mind that you expose your whole network over that vpn (i guess you do not use any kind of isolation like vlans etc) and you shouldnt do things like this via tutorials.. look for someone who is willing to set it up for u professionally & (probably for a price) willing to explain you in detail what is what..