Author Topic: comcast email set up problems  (Read 6375 times)

jfolliard

comcast email set up problems
« on: November 18, 2017, 06:22:07 am »
I'm now up to over an hour trying to set up my comcast email with aquamail - just have a new phone and have used aquamail for years on my old one - please help - I want a pop3 account NOT imap.

using mail.comcast,net for incoming and smtp.comcast.net for outgoing - and the usual ports

simply will not set up.

Thanks.

Jack

phred

Re: comcast email set up problems
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 03:52:37 pm »
From the AM main menu (three dots in upper right corner) > Add an account > Internet Mail > Next > email address & password > Manual > Server Type = POP > add the server information and you should be all set. Remember that Comcast POP should be set to NO SSL and SMTP is at port 587 also with NO SSL.

EDIT: Apparently these settings no longer work. Please check Reply #5 for POP settings that are working with Comcast.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:35:12 pm by phred »

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 04:11:49 pm »
This is Comcast's help page with server settings, for POP3 as well

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

But yes you will need to use Manual setup and change IMAP to POP3.

Regarding "NO SSL" - not true, they do support encryption

I would use:

Incoming: mail.comcast.net + SSL (strict) + port 995

Outgoing: smtp.comcast.net + SSL (strict) + port 465
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

jfolliard

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 11:43:52 pm »
got her going!  thanks all!

Jack

ThWunderlich

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 05:16:34 pm »
This thread is from 2017, but I have the same problem with setting up my Comcast email account in aquamail. I'd prefer to set it up as an IMAP account, but could live with POP3 too.

I have used the pro version of AquaMail for many years and it's simply great. Even more surprised was I, when I tried hours to setup my Comcast.net account.

Every attempt failed with: "Outgoing mailserver (SMTP): authentification failure 535 ...authentification rejected"

Here's what I tried after giving it a shot with the fully automatic setup, which failed:

Add account - Internet Mail - email+password - manual - POP3 (I'd prefer to use IMAP though)

The server and authentification data from Comcast according to their website: (I am not allowed to post links) https ://connect.xfinity.com/faq/email.html#manualIMAP are:

imap.comcast.net
993 with SSL ON (or 143 with SSL ON)
smtp.comcast.net
587 (SMTP) (or 465 (SMTPS))
SSL Encryption checked
Authentication: Comcast email address and Password required

Opposed to what you recommended two posts earlier, Comcast recommends to use for POP3:

pop3.comcast.net
995 (POP3 With SSL) (or 110 (POP3 Without SSL))

You recommended mail@comcast.net, but that may have been a typo? I've also tried that, with no success.

However, I tried all possible combinations but did not succeed. It seems to be always the outgoing authentification which is rejected. I tried the full email and only the part before "@comcast.net" plus password and I tried the different authorisation settings like SASL PLAIN and SASL LOGIN. SASL CRAM-MD5 was completely rejected as a valid authorisation method, Comcast seems to not support that.

Incoming mail settings seem to be fine, just outgoing will not work.

Do you have any additional ideas?

Device: Samsung Galaxy S9+, most recent OS Adroid 9.0 Pie with Samsungs new UI, no root
AquaMail Pro Ver. 1.18.2-1413
--

Samsung Galaxy S9+, Android 9.0 Pie

phred

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 05:30:36 pm »
I've had AM working with Comcast with both IMAP and POP. I'm currently using POP and the settings are:

pop.comcast.net
SSL
port 995

smtp.comcast.net
SSL
port 459

Those settings are working with no issues whatsoever. I'm not where I can put my hands on the IMAP settings I've used successfully or I'd post them also.

ThWunderlich

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 10:04:43 pm »
@phred

Thank you for your superfast reply!

I tried with your POP3 settings, but with no luck.
Then I rethought the whole nightmare again.

I am in Germany right now and as soon as I used the app ThunderVPN to get a US IP-adress I was able to set up the Comcast account. The connection to the outgoing server worked!

So I have set up the account in AquaMail and after I stopped the VPN, I was not able to send an email via Comcast again! With VPN (US IP-adress) everything works!

People at Comcast simply do not expect anybody to travel outside of the US. I should have known that email is something very local and does not have to work all over the world.

What do US citizens and Comcast customers do if they travel abroad and rely on their Comcast email adress??? I cannot believe what I just found out... Comcast should loose ALL their customers immediately!!!

Thank you phred, you triggered indirectly the right idea with your post!

I have to add, that this whole problem has NOTHING to do with AquaMail, nothing at all!!!
--

phred

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 10:33:01 pm »
Glad you've got it sorted out.

I'm in the US and I will often use a VPN that shows me as being in the UK. When I try to send and email with the VPN enabled, Comcast won't let it go through.

What's interesting is that the settings I posted today are different than the settings I posted in Reply #1 of this thread. I got curious and tried them and they appear to no longer work, so I'll edit that post.

ThWunderlich

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 10:59:14 pm »
@phred

Interestingly enough I simply used the fully automatic settings (by AquaMail) to set up a Comcast IMAP account with the help of VPN, which worked perfectly.

For this account I prefer IMAP and after I found out about the "local (US) only solution" by Comcast, I didn't even try the POP3 settings any more.

Thank you for editing your reply#1!

Thank you again for your input!
--