Author Topic: No notification sound on mail arrival.  (Read 4502 times)

wooshaq

No notification sound on mail arrival.
« on: December 29, 2018, 11:57:58 pm »
Can you please take a look at this? I'm having problem with playing notification sound, im on android 9. I'm on a new device (Xiaomi Pocophone F1). Just started using it so i cannot confirm anything really. Everything seems to be set up correctly. I dont really know what to look for, other apps play sounds correctly.

mikeone

Re: No notification sound on mail arrival.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 01:29:29 am »
There is a 'brandnew' entry in the FAQ at the end:

Notification appearance settings - Android 8.0 and newer

https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

wooshaq

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 11:35:36 pm »
Sorry but what kind of answer is that, so you are basically tell me go and fuck myself because i was dumb enough to pay for your product and blame everyting on android? I tried different email apps like k10 mail, and notifications are working fine (together with sound), so perhaps you could look at the code and find the answer.

mikeone

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 11:40:53 pm »
Sorry but what kind of answer is that, so you are basically tell me go and fuck myself because i was dumb enough to pay for your product and blame everyting on android? I tried different email apps like k10 mail, and notifications are working fine (together with sound), so perhaps you could look at the code and find the answer.
Hi, I'm a user. Just as you  8)

wooshaq

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 11:48:43 pm »
SRY, I guess I need to dig deeper, of to technical support section.

mikeone

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 12:07:38 am »
No problem!  :) :)

The point is, that due to Google requirements, notification "appearance" settings are now in Phone Settings, provided by Android (this applies to 8.0 and newer).

It's the same in all or nearly all apps (definitely Gmail).

Google is strong-arming developers into this, it's not optional (if an app does not opt into the new scheme - it's not possible to release updates to Play since November 1).

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:17:33 am by mikeone »

phred

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 01:04:18 am »
If you don't like the (forced) change in notification behavior, and most of us don't, you need to complain to Google, not the AM developer. If your other apps haven't enabled this behavior yet, it's because they haven't updated their code. As mikeone said, at some point those apps either will disappear from the Play Store, or they'll be blocked from issuing updates.

kaczor

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 10:57:49 am »
Hi Kostya,

I've bought Mi Mix 3 (Android 9) and I'm also fighting with this issue. Everything seems to be setup fine (as push and notifications just work, application is not killed, blocked or anything). Except sound, which is just not played - phone is deaf. Neither when device is turned off and when we're displaying AquaMail on the screen, even LED is blinking when the message arrives (also when set up screen is turned on on new mail - tried both options on and off, no change).

I've read everything here, I know already that this has changed in Android and you have now less control. But to be honest this drives me crazy and I'm wondering if I can help anyhow to debug this issue. This works okay on my second device (Huawei P10 with Android 8, where the sound control works exactly the same).

I remember we have dealt with IMAP PUSH long time ago... maybe we'll handle also this case. It would be great not to uninstall AquaMail, as it is the best client on the market :(

PS. and in case of "nothing can be done", are you able to publish the latest release, with old notification handling code (meaning with old features, not supporting latest Android way of handling notifications)?
cheers
K.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:49:52 am by kaczor »

kaczor

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 06:55:03 pm »
I've found interesting line in debug log:

2019.01.31 23:43:45.661 +0800   MessageStatsManager   Show notifications = true, force notifications = true
2019.01.31 23:43:45.661 +0800   MessageStatsManager   Notification prefs: account = false, isPrioritySender = false, pref = PrefsNotify [mNotifyOn = true, mNotifySound = null, mNotifySoundOnce = true, mNotifyLed = true, mNotifyVibration = false, mNotifyPrivacy = false]

...and in this moment led was turned ON without vibration and sound, which seems to be completely coherent with above list and completely opposite to what is set in Android settings :( Especially this null worries me (as a programmer ;))

Any thoughts?

PS. ignore the time, I've wrong zone seleced :(
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:01:58 pm by kaczor »

sterium

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 12:00:40 pm »
same problem, no sound and vibration upon arrival of a new email, i see only the badge! >:( :(

Xiaomi Mi Note 3