Author Topic: Move/Copy selected emails to a different account  (Read 29467 times)

Jinny9

Move/Copy selected emails to a different account
« on: December 03, 2012, 02:16:57 pm »
Hi, I'm new here. I use your client on my N8000 and I'm very satisfied with it 8)

I'm only missing the possibility to Move/Copy selected mails to a different account. Can you add this feature ?

Thanks
Jinny9

Kostya Vasilyev

Re: Move/Copy selected emails to a different account
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:10:17 am »
Possibility for the long term, maybe (unless other things crop up).
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

jmccabe

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 02:22:08 pm »
This is something I'd also be interested in. My main need for it is to copy email I've sent from a POP3 account into the "Sent" folder on an IMAP account so that I can synchronise them with my home system.

Thanks
John

garyk66

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 08:39:37 pm »
Hi.  I am a Pro user of Aqua-Mail.  I would also like to be able to move email messages between different accounts.  For example, if someone sends me a personal email to my work address, I would like to be able to MOVE it to the Gmail inbox.

beaky

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 03:04:11 am »
This is something I'd also be interested in. My main need for it is to copy email I've sent from a POP3 account into the "Sent" folder on an IMAP account so that I can synchronise them with my home system.

Thanks
John

Hi.  I am a Pro user of Aqua-Mail.  I would also like to be able to move email messages between different accounts.  For example, if someone sends me a personal email to my work address, I would like to be able to MOVE it to the Gmail inbox.

Moving between different named accounts, e.g. sales AT bigcorp.com to Gary AT garyshome.mail looks to me like a "wouldn't it be nice if" (WIBNI) feature. As a regular user I would suggest the best solution is organisational rather than technical. Surely mixing work and home email should be relatively rare, and the rare instances dealt with by forwarding (incoming) and copying (outgoing). Indeed I cannot imagine any IT  manager responsible for a corporate system being at all happy with mail being moved in and out of the work system by copying to or from a private account.

John's request seems ambiguous, but mentions the home system, so I guess he has a pc or mac at home, and an android phone. So is this in reality the same account accessed by two machines in different ways? Is there a reason to still use POP at all any more? Clearly IMAP provides the ability to sync the sent folder on the server, where pop does not. If it is all one account, go to IMAP everywhere and migrate using Thunderbird on a pc. Being able to handle all and every kind of migration using a phone or tablet app is another WIBNI, I think.

I would prefer kostya to prioritise functionality that is likely to be used regularly, or add to the everyday usefulness.

I am just a regular user, so possibly your needs are different, but I handle 3 accounts on three different platforms, all using imap, no bother**. If I wanted to do something really unusual, as I did when I first switched to IMAP from pop, and wanted to populate the server folders with the last few years emails, i used Thunderbird on a pc. A one off task, with lots of drag and drop. When I want to archive off emails I no longer want on the server, I resort to the pc and Thunderbird again, as I would not want to archive to something easily lost, like a phone or tablet.

Just my two cents...

(**actually some bother - on my iPhone I only access one account)

jmccabe

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 04:07:05 am »
I can see my comment may have been confusing. First of all, let me answer the "is there any reason to use POP3 any more" question. Yes, there is. When you've had the same email address for17 years, using POP3, and your ISP swaps to an exchange based system that supports IMAP but has a 30 day retention policy, then it is worth using POP3 to avoid any inadvertent server synchronization events causing you to lose a load if email. In fact that was one of the reasons I've abandoned that ISP although not completely; I need time to migrate existing stiff to anew email provider. Going back to my comment though, I'd been using POP3/SMTP for email for years on my phone and obviously there is no "sent" folder in POP3 so I had a load of sent messages stored only on my phone. When my ISP started to support IMAP I thought it would be good to copy all those sent messages into my IMAP sent folder but,obviously, the IMAP and POP3 versions of my email have to be separate accounts on aquamail so i wanted to be able to copy from one to the other.

Hope this helps clarify.

beaky

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 04:40:20 am »
I can see my comment may have been confusing. First of all, let me answer the "is there any reason to use POP3 any more" question. Yes, there is. When you've had the same email address for17 years, using POP3, and your ISP swaps to an exchange based system that supports IMAP but has a 30 day retention policy, then it is worth using POP3 to avoid any inadvertent server synchronization events causing you to lose a load if email. In fact that was one of the reasons I've abandoned that ISP although not completely; I need time to migrate existing stiff to anew email provider. Going back to my comment though, I'd been using POP3/SMTP for email for years on my phone and obviously there is no "sent" folder in POP3 so I had a load of sent messages stored only on my phone. When my ISP started to support IMAP I thought it would be good to copy all those sent messages into my IMAP sent folder but,obviously, the IMAP and POP3 versions of my email have to be separate accounts on aquamail so i wanted to be able to copy from one to the other.

Hope this helps clarify.

Ah, yes,it does clarify. Many years ago I switched my email away from my ISP and to a hosting account, using a domain I own. I regularly get emails from friends changing their ISP, and as a result getting a totally new email address. I don't have to do that, but of course hosting is not free! I could not manage with a 30 day retention policy, but there are limits on my accounts. I have a limit on quota. This means I do have to move old messages into local storage, but I don't count a phone or tablet as local, but disposable (because so easily lost). That was why I was going on about using Thunderbird on a pc. However, I can see your point. You need the migration to happen using your phone, as that is where all your old messages are. Mine were on the pc.
Sorry I missed the main point!

Clivewillcock99

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 04:40:43 pm »
This is disappointing since having just moved from iOS and being able to easily move mail around accounts and folders I was assuming that as a highly recommended app this would be possible!
I regularly have to move files to folder within different accounts due to work, private etc and I am currently having to use my iPad to do this

someone

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 10:53:44 pm »
This is disappointing since having just moved from iOS and being able to easily move mail around accounts and folders I was assuming that as a highly recommended app this would be possible!
I regularly have to move files to folder within different accounts due to work, private etc and I am currently having to use my iPad to do this
I too would very much like to be able to

- copy email messages from one folder to another

- attached one or more received emails to a new outgoing email

mikeone

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 12:39:33 pm »

+1   move/copy mails between different accounts