Author Topic: sound selection/set sound on latest beta is missing with huawei devices.  (Read 5400 times)

sad

Also, updated to latest betas (v1.18.0-1387 on google play) and message notifications (set sound) not working on Huawei P20 Pro  Oreo/EMUI v8.1.0. option to set sound is nowhere (neither phone settings or aqua mail settings).
Latest changes for Android 8 optimization have broken the sound notifications, too - at least on Huawei devices with 8.1.0. on Samsung it works with 8.0.0

p.s. it seems that happen with all version which introduced "Optimized for Android 8.0" with notification sounds in phone settings.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:02:26 pm by sad »

mikeone

Re: sound selection/set sound on latest beta is missing with huawei devices.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 03:58:04 pm »
Also, updated to latest betas (v1.18.0-1387 on google play) and message notifications (set sound) not working on Huawei P20 Pro  Oreo/EMUI v8.1.0. option to set sound is nowhere (neither phone settings or aqua mail settings).
Latest changes for Android 8 optimization have broken the sound notifications, too - at least on Huawei devices with 8.1.0. on Samsung it works with 8.0.0

p.s. it seems that happen with all version which introduced "Optimized for Android 8.0" with notification sounds in phone settings.
It seems to be more an vendor related issue (Huawei) than an app issue. Since, sound notification is working on Samsung, Sony,... with Android 8+
 8)

sad

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 04:47:36 pm »
not necessarily. on version 1.17.x worked fine. also, there are other apps that works with no issue at all.
I guess that apps has to keep "selection sound" into app setting, not in phone settings. and this is not just a vendor issue.

mikeone

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 05:23:40 pm »
not necessarily. on version 1.17.x worked fine. also, there are other apps that works with no issue at all.
I guess that apps has to keep "selection sound" into app setting, not in phone settings. and this is not just a vendor issue.
Maybe you are right.

But if so, how could sound notification work with Samsung, Sony,... without "selection sound" in the app? 🤔

sad

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 05:56:16 pm »
well, as I saw, there are a few slightly differences in android framework between devices. but it doesn't seems to be related to device. my guess is that that's why android 9 was released, among other things :)

p. s. sound selection should be leaved in app settings. also, if dev want to include different sounds for different accounts, only in this way is possible in Android 8.x.x.
other apps solved this problem in this way (eg. WhatsApp)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 09:53:10 am by sad »

glvlcu

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 02:36:41 pm »
I have the same problem with AquaMail Pro 1.18.0-1396 on MIUI Global 10.0.6.0 (xiaomi redmi note 5).
Also, I'm unable to obtain any notification sound at all, not even those chose from the phone settings
Please help

SnowFish

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 11:29:20 pm »
Hi,

Have the Huawei Mate 10 Pro (BLA-L29) with
Android 8.0.0
EMUI 8.0.0
Build 8.0.0.157 (C432)
Patch October 1st, 2018.

AquaMail 1.18.1 - 1405

Experience the same issue with not being able to select the Message Notifications sound for receiving mails.

However when entering "Settings > Send Notifications", i can select any sound and vibration pattern i wish, for when i send an email.

/SnowFish
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 11:34:34 pm by SnowFish »

Nadejda Fudulska, MobiSystems, AquaMail support

• Administrator
    • MobiSystems
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 11:24:40 am »
Hi,

Because of changes made by Google and required of app developers - we cannot use *files* (filenames) anymore. If we try to, Android will crash the app (intentionally. "you're doing something forbidden").
That's really a question for Google and device manufacturers. Google is forcing all app developers to "optimize" (ahem) their apps for Android 8.0.
If your phone runs Android 8 or newer - you may have better luck with 1.18 version - where notification "appearance" (sound / vibration / etc) settings are now in Phone Settings (again a Google requirement).

You can find detailed explanation here https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=6915.0

+ Android 8.0+: notification settings (sound, vibration) are now in phone Settings (a Google requirement).

Actually it's more than that - this version has "target = 8.0" as required by Google.

The appearance of notifications (sound, vibration, etc.) can now be changed *only* by user.

An app can pre-fill some defaults, but that's it, it can't change how a notification appears, only the user can.

Explanation from Google:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGIw4MIJn5o

Now some manufacturers have optimized their notification schemes and made their notification Settings better. As for Huawei, Samsung - it seems that they haven't done that yet.

Thanks,

Nadia

SnowFish

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 02:58:57 pm »
Hi Nadia,

Was just wondering why it's possible to change the notification settings for sent messages and not for received messages.

Have visited the links you wrote in your reply.

Thanks for the explanation. :-)

Was using Gravity Box (with exposed framework) on my previous phone (Sony) to manage led, sound and vibration for each app.
Maybe i have to look in that direction until Huawei change their options for managing notification sounds, led and vibration.

Have a nice Christmas. :-)

/SnowFish

sad

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 01:04:01 pm »
Hi Nadia.
as I said:

p. s. sound selection should be leaved in app settings. also, if dev want to include different sounds for different accounts, only in this way is possible in Android 8.x.x, no matter what device it is used.
other dev apps solved this problem in this way (eg. WhatsApp) !
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 01:10:19 pm by sad »

justpusher

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 03:08:39 am »
There is a hidden way to set per-channel notification sounds in EMUI 8 (not sure about MIUI).

Install Activity Manager app, run it, select Settings app in the list, select first of App notifications entries (.Settings$NotificationAppListActivity), and there you'll be able to set custom sounds.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:11:31 am by justpusher »

phred

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 05:36:33 am »
There is a hidden way to set per-channel notification sounds in EMUI 8 (not sure about MIUI).

Install Activity Manager app, run it, select Settings app in the list, select first of App notifications entries (.Settings$NotificationAppListActivity), and there you'll be able to set custom sounds.
Does anyone know if this is for Huawei devices only? And if not, where can it be found? There's something called "Activity Manager: Hidden Activity Launcher" by Andre de Sousa on the Google Play Store. Is this it?

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 11:34:20 am »
On my Huawei P10 this is fixed in Android 9.0 update.

It is a phone problem. Please please please contact Huawei support.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/