Author Topic: Backup and Recovery (Dropbox)  (Read 4105 times)

M0710NM4N

Backup and Recovery (Dropbox)
« on: January 16, 2019, 03:41:07 am »
I sent an email in asking for a Dropbox option with Backup and Recovery through support email. Well I got an email back stating that Dropbox should be an option now. This is what the email said:

Ivaylo Alexandrov commented:
Hello,
Thank you for choosing our app. Happy to say backup & restore through Dropbox is available. In the latest app :
•   Open Aqua Mail, tap Settings in the left hand-side menu
•   Data storage, Backup and restore
Dropbox should be given as an option, along with Google Drive

But I do not have any option for Google Drive or Dropbox... just to internal storage.

M0710NM4N

Re: Backup and Recovery (Dropbox)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 09:13:20 am »
Backup only takes me to this screen and already checked Copy To and email is the only option.

phred

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 11:24:19 pm »
Have you installed and configured Dropbox?
I'm not the OP, but this is very interesting. I'm using the new version, same as the OP, and I -do- see the option for Dropbox. What's interesting is that I have never used Dropbox and therefore it hasn't been configured. But I do see the option to back up there. It's the default option, with Google Drive being the second option.

Justin

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 11:28:58 pm »
Funny. I see Dropbox as first option, OneDrive as second and Google Drive as third option.

However, you can create a local backup and sync the file to (almost) every cloud.

M0710NM4N

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 11:30:21 pm »
Have you installed and configured Dropbox?
I'm not the OP, but this is very interesting. I'm using the new version, same as the OP, and I -do- see the option for Dropbox. What's interesting is that I have never used Dropbox and therefore it hasn't been configured. But I do see the option to back up there. It's the default option, with Google Drive being the second option.

Interesting because my Sygic Navigation backs up to Dropbox without having the app installed. And if you have the option without having it setup... has me scratching my head. All it shows is what's in my screenshots... local backup.

Justin

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 11:32:23 pm »
FAQ say:
"The app lets you easily upload / download the backup file to / from cloud based storage (Google Drive, OneDrive, Box.com, Dropbox) and then restore from there."

Please be aware that e.g. a dropbox app could be preinstalled and disabled on your phone.

phred

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 11:39:24 pm »
Funny. I see Dropbox as first option, OneDrive as second and Google Drive as third option.
HA! It gets odder and odder. I don't see OneDrive at all. Not that I need/use any of them. I regularly backup AM to the phone's memory and I run a backup of the phone to a local hard drive. So if the phone goes south, I can still restore. And yes, I've checked that the backup will restore.

I guess this is something that  Kostya or the MobiFolks will have to weigh in on.

phred

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 12:06:36 am »
You have Onedrive installed and configured on your phone and you don't see it in Aquamail backup feature?
Oops. <face-plant>
No, it's not installed. And that explains it. But again, I'm not the OP and I don't use the cloud backup feature.

mikeone

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 09:55:27 am »
You need to install the appropriate app on your phone: Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, Box.

As far as I know, it's not necessary to configure the app, just install it and the option is supposed to be shown during the backup process.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:57:13 am by mikeone »

M0710NM4N

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 08:01:53 pm »
I was able to install the Dropbox app, backed up settings and then just uninstalled Dropbox. I don't like having apps that don't get used often on my phone. Shame they couldn't do it like how my Sygic Navigation app I'm able to backup and restore to Dropbox without the app. But I guess something is better then nothing  8)

Justin

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 11:40:56 pm »
Shame they couldn't do it like how my Sygic Navigation app I'm able to backup and restore to Dropbox without the app.

On the other hand, without the Dropbox app, an explicit login with input of username and password in a foreign app like Sygic is necessary. However, if the Dropbox app is installed, this will be omitted, but instead only access is approved by the user (I suppose).