Author Topic: Understanding notifications  (Read 1604 times)

bernie

Understanding notifications
« on: August 29, 2021, 05:55:14 pm »
I have both regular and priority notifications turned on on my Galaxy Tab A7.   But I sometimes don't seem to get notifications when I should and I'm wondering about what causes that variation.  For example, I have notifications on all unread messages enabled.  And after a while I open AquaMail and there are ten new messages and I hadn't gotten a notification.  Similarly, I've fund messages that *ought* to have given me a priority notification and didn't.   BUT: it does work some of the time .  Any ideas why the occasional missing notifications?

The one thing I can think of is if it only gives the notifications once and so if I'm not near my tablet at the right time I'll miss it/them.  But [If I understood the mechanism correctly, shouldn't it *keep* giving me notifications while there are unread/priority messages in the inbox, or is it [as, for example, my twitter notifications are] just a one-shot when the messages arrive.   If so, is there some way to have AquaMail keep "bugging me"  :) so I don't miss important messages.  THANKS

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
Re: Understanding notifications
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 09:34:30 pm »
Hi bernie,

The most likely culprit is your Android battery optimizer. It stops Aqua Mail from running in the background so the app won't synchronize or push notifications when mail arrives. We have a dedicated help topic for Samsung devices at https://www.mobisystems.com/help-center/aqua-mail/?cat=245&qst=1165. Please adjust your settings as listed in there.

Regular vs priority notifications won't be different unless you configure them so. After you have enabled priority notifications you should tap "Manage notifications" from the same menu to set up a different sound/vibration/light so they stand out.

The app will notify you every time a new message arrives but if you already have older unread e-mails they also show up in the notification content. At least this is the default state of the settings.

Martin