Author Topic: Advertising in aquamail Pro  (Read 25713 times)

paras.desai

Re: Advertising in aquamail Pro
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2018, 09:36:37 am »
It's an ad, pure and simple. In an app where I paid for an ad-free version.
Absolutely, unquestionable - and unacceptable for an ad-free described pro version.

+1

Now the question is: what's the alternative app?
Contributers on this forum, have you found and used another app with the same level of reliability and similar features?

Under reliability chapter, I can mention:
- efficient imap sync and push
- offline/online use of the app, without issues in syncing and deleting messages (especially with Gmail and Hotmail accounts)
- ease to create accounts (French "Free" provider, Yahoo, bk.ru, Gmail)
- unified box/folder /place where you can read all your emails in a glance
- no cloud. Your data will not be processed and sold to other companies
- low battery drainage
- RTL support (I know, it's a niche, not all users speak Arabic/Hebrew/Urdu/Amharic/Persian)
- it's not a MVP. The app has already been sold to a company which is developing it. It's not a startup project which aims only to be sold to a bigger one and in the meanwhile ignoring to correct bugs and to improve reliability

I can list a dozen of irritating "pains" in Aquamail (in message view screen, navigation drawer, settings, notification process, some old fashioned UI actions, etc.) and I think that the user interface should be reviewed and changed in depth - there are some rare apps that present far better interfaces. But when it comes to reliability (cf. my points above) I haven't found an alternative.

The floor is yours, please give your comments /ideas.
The Aquamail as such is best around, except few fancy features.

It takes quite a practice to get adjusted to other app, after using aquamail for so many years.

Some more worthy application

1. Maildroid
2. OPTIMA (privacy issue?)
3. NINE (though very expensive)
4. Outlook
5. WPS mail (though their track record with Kings office is not good, and WPS may migrate to that model eventually)

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

nadir husain

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2018, 10:38:09 am »
@ parisgeek. I am in absolute and total agreement with you. I hv been around the block many times in the play store but always return to Aquamail. What Mobisystems is doing is not correct perhaps it can even be called deception and this one small step does not augur well for the future
of us users but I for one will stick with Aqua. I also believe, based on history that Kostya is perhaps being squeezed by Mobisystems and has no choice but to submit to them . He is a stellar human being based on what I hv seen so far there is no developer who gives the kind of support to his users like Kostya does. More power to him! I never had respect for Mobisystems but I have extreme and high respect for Kostya and will continue to do so. I am sticking with Aquamail!

Justin

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2018, 11:29:18 am »

First of all I would mention K-9 (open source). Another very promising open source app is FairEmail. This app is currently heavily developed and is by the developer of the well-known Netguard firewall.

Maildroid and Nine are also good e-mail apps that do not store mails or access data anywhere on a server.

All these providers have so far been honestly shown and keep their promises.

paras.desai

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2018, 12:28:39 pm »

First of all I would mention K-9 (open source). Another very promising open source app is FairEmail. This app is currently heavily developed and is by the developer of the well-known Netguard firewall.

Maildroid and Nine are also good e-mail apps that do not store mails or access data anywhere on a server.

All these providers have so far been honestly shown and keep their promises.

A- efficient imap sync and push
B- offline/online use of the app, without issues in syncing and deleting messages
C- ease to create accounts
D- unified box/folder /place where you can read all your emails in a glance
E- no cloud. Your data will not be processed and sold to other companies
F- low battery drainage
G- RTL support
H- it's not a MVP

My feedback:

Nine:
B, C, G, H conditions are not met. For instance, you cannot write and edit/correct a text in Arabic without heavy issues. You might archive emails when deleting them (issues in sync offline), looks like a MVP
Pros: the best of the best user interface, a superb tablet interface
Cons: heavy bugs even in supported features (labels, move messages, phone number detections, rich text editor, etc.)

Maildroid:
D condition is not met. You can get a unified Inbox, but that's all. To see your sent messages, you'll have to dig inside navigation drawer.
Cons: outdated user interface (have you seen conversations?), navigation makes screens blink (heavy issues in their screen developments). No heads-up notifications (Android 7+) etc.

K9 and forks:
Open source. In my opinion, not a viable business model. Not sure to get up-to-date features.

--> in short
if you use one account, Gmail app or Outlook app are the best choice
if you use more than one account, with specific needs (my A to H conditions), and no Exchange accounts: AquaMail is the best
if you look for a good looking, nice User interface app, and use Exchange (no Gmail accounts, no other specific accounts), Nine is the best

My (secret) wish: that Nine quality improves to reach AquaMail's reliability, or that AquaMail implements a Nine like user interface (best of the best, as stated before). In both cases, this needs huge developements (maybe 1 year of work for 2 developers), and this means lots of money (and a genuine understanding and acceptance of user needs).
Summary

Like there is no perfect woman, (if she is pretty, she may have many tantrums for example)
threre is no perfect email app.

Aquamail is almost there but mobisystem is introducing some TANTRUMS (OR should I say advert)...

So in short, we poor guys never get best as we dream of..

Using Tapatalk

Justin

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2018, 12:36:13 pm »
@Paris Geek
There are always compromises.

Some conditions AquaMail does not met, e.g
- copy messages in another folder.
- Or: No ads in pro version.

And keep an eye on FairEmail ;)

Open source. In my opinion, not a viable business model

You can have a reliable business model and open source.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 12:37:46 pm by Justin »

paras.desai

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2018, 12:36:51 pm »
Jokes apart, I do not see future of any email application, developed by an individual or a small company. They simply do not have resources for constant development, neither they can be a profitable proposition with amount of investment and potential to earn return through applications

Subscription option has never been successful.

So only way to stay profitable is

A. Either earn through advertisement
B. Through selling analytics collected through application
C. Or Capitalise the application by selling it to some big company

Our (users) fate lies in how the philosophy of the big company is?

At the end of the day, users can not be taken for granted, they are intelligent enough to find alternatives and keep finding.. The struggle will continue as long as I can see..

Using Tapatalk

Justin

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2018, 12:42:24 pm »
Jokes apart, I do not see future of any email application, developed by an individual or a small company. They simply do not have resources for constant development, neither they can be a profitable proposition with amount of investment and potential to earn return through applications

Marcel Bokhorst (dev of FairEmail) has already proved that it is possible, see NetGuard. He is an experienced dev and he knows the business.

nadir husain

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2018, 04:02:44 pm »
Just played a little bit with Fairemail. Long long long way to go . Kostya has been at it a few years now. Ahead of the pack and unless Mobisystems screws it up for him, Aquamail will retain its top drawer rating

nadir husain

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2018, 04:10:14 pm »
Have used Maildroid in the past. There have been no updates since May . Hope it's not been abandoned. Anyway not as reliable as Aquamail in push delivery and also not as intuitive. High on battery. K9 was the first Android app most people used. Being open source it is in the hands of the few who just do enough to keep it alive. Falling behind in feature sets and responding to user needs.

paras.desai

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2018, 04:13:56 pm »
No maildroid can not match aquamail performance.

But it score good in privacy
It's UI is good enough
Had problem in syncing, which an irritating issue though.

So, if advertisement is the big issue, then maildroid is a good compromise.

Using Tapatalk

Philip

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2018, 08:08:21 pm »
It's not just about functionality.

Some of us would prefer to use products from developers who have some integrity.

mikeone

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2018, 08:57:37 pm »
@ parisgeek. I am in absolute and total agreement with you. I hv been around the block many times in the play store but always return to Aquamail. What Mobisystems is doing is not correct perhaps it can even be called deception and this one small step does not augur well for the future
of us users but I for one will stick with Aqua. I also believe, based on history that Kostya is perhaps being squeezed by Mobisystems and has no choice but to submit to them . He is a stellar human being based on what I hv seen so far there is no developer who gives the kind of support to his users like Kostya does. More power to him! I never had respect for Mobisystems but I have extreme and high respect for Kostya and will continue to do so. I am sticking with Aquamail!
+1000

Absolute accordance in ALL points.

I'm pretty sure, that MobiSystems will limit expansion of the user base by themselves due to such dubious business practices.

I'm perplexed, that one can be so incredibly stupid to negligently destroy the hard-won trust which Kostya has built up for years.

It's a shame and pity that they devalue Kostya's extraordinary skills with their dubious behavior.

alleluia

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2018, 01:27:17 am »
I wrote to support, proposing the solution that the OfficeSuite popup included an option "do not show again". I also suggested that, in case they did not take that solution, they should refund to me.

I did not receive any answer from MobiSystems, but I did receive an email from Google Play saying that my purchase was cancelled and I would have a refund (I assume that Mobisystems arranged that).

I am not actually very happy with the solution. I paid 5€ during a promotion so, if things get solved, and I wanted to go back to Pro, I would possibly have to pay 10€. But well, it was me who asked for that (albeit not as the first option).

Anyway, if MobiSystems prefers to make a refund instead of adding the option "do not show again", should we anticipate that they will add more intrusive advertisement (and that will not disappear after a few times)?

Regards.

Cukierkas

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2018, 11:12:33 am »
I wrote to support, proposing the solution that the OfficeSuite popup included an option "do not show again". I also suggested that, in case they did not take that solution, they should refund to me.

I did not receive any answer from MobiSystems, but I did receive an email from Google Play saying that my purchase was cancelled and I would have a refund (I assume that Mobisystems arranged that).

I am not actually very happy with the solution. I paid 5€ during a promotion so, if things get solved, and I wanted to go back to Pro, I would possibly have to pay 10€. But well, it was me who asked for that (albeit not as the first option).

Anyway, if MobiSystems prefers to make a refund instead of adding the option "do not show again", should we anticipate that they will add more intrusive advertisement (and that will not disappear after a few times)?

Regards.
Guessing they will have a bit aggresier policies to sell other stuff. It's better to loose 5€, knowing that more can be earned.
I do like Kostya's work and knowledge.

arf8

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2018, 10:15:19 am »

And so yes, personally I understand why there are people here (and elsewhere, on that German forum) are calling these "ads" but I still personally don't think they are ads.

Gee, I wonder where I have heard this before, oh ya just about every feature you and the other developers have forced down our throat that didn't agree with your opinion. Arrogant much?

Put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. Stop advertising a product no one wants and listen to user feedback. Your desperation to stand by your opinion reeks bad and we can all see right through it. You have just as much a voice at the table with Mobisystems as anyome there. Stop the lame excuses.