Author Topic: URGENT BUG: AquaMail Pro + Zoho Mail IMAP combo 100% (completely) broken ...  (Read 13710 times)

Justin

@nyceyes
Did you check wether imap is still enabled in your account?

The very first thing you need to do is make sure IMAP access is enabled from your account:

Open Zoho Mail Settings in your web browser.
Choose the Mail tab.
From the Mail accounts tile, choose IMAP Access.
In the Mail Accounts dialog box, select IMAP Access.

https://www.lifewire.com/imap-access-for-zoho-mail-1170805

nyceyes

Perhaps not the cause, but isitdownrightnow.com is showing that both IMAP servers for ZOHO are down. If that's correct, then this isn't an AM problem and there's nothing that can be done from the AM side.
What is the specific URL that shows Zoho IMAP servers are down (and where/region)?
I provided the URL to Is It Down Right Now. Follow the link and then enter the server address you're trying to use. I used imap.zoho.com and imappro.zoho.com. Both showed as down. And again this morning. Although I do admit it's interesting that you're able to connect via other apps. I guess you're just going to have to wait for Kostya to weigh in on the issue.

Ah, okay I see. I don't think that service is capable of checking anything other than HTTP port 80 URLs. For example, if you enter imap.gmail.com it will redirect to checking mail.google.com/mail/ (and pass). That one seems hard coded into the site. If, for example, you similarly try imap.zoho.com or imap.mail.yahoo.com, they don't redirect to anything else and fail, but not because they are down (they are, in fact, up); but because that service only supports HTTP port 80 services, which IMAP isn't. To be honest, I always use telnet(1M) for these matters, and this is what it has to say (from my UNIX prompt):

Code: [Select]
user@fedoraLinux$ telnet imap.gmail.com 993
Trying 173.194.207.109...
Connected to imap.gmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.   <---------- Connected successfully and waiting for me.
^C
Connection closed by foreign host.
user@fedoraLinux$

user@fedoraLinux$ telnet imap.zoho.com 993
Trying 204.141.43.211...
Connected to imap.zoho.com.
Escape character is '^]'.   <---------- Connected successfully and waiting for me.
^C
user@fedoraLinux$

user@fedoraLinux$ telnet imappro.zoho.com 993
Trying 204.141.43.212...
Connected to imappro.zoho.com.
^C
user@fedoraLinux

user@fedoraLinux$ telnet imap.zoho.com 994   <---- Intentionally use the wrong port (not 993)
Trying 204.141.43.211...
^C     <-------- Hangs forever, or until Ctrl-C or telnet client timeout. This is the correct behavior.
user@fedoraLinux$

So both Zoho IMAP servers have been up. telnet(1M) says so, and even better, so does the GMAIL Android client (which does an even deeper inspection by connecting via SSL and authenticating).

nyceyes

@nyceyes
Did you check wether imap is still enabled in your account?

The very first thing you need to do is make sure IMAP access is enabled from your account:

Open Zoho Mail Settings in your web browser.
Choose the Mail tab.
From the Mail accounts tile, choose IMAP Access.
In the Mail Accounts dialog box, select IMAP Access.

https://www.lifewire.com/imap-access-for-zoho-mail-1170805

Thank you! Yes it is. I checked long ago and repeatedly. Also, my GMAIL IMAP tests that I have mentioned previously would not have succeeded if IMAP wasn't enabled.

At this point I need AquaMail team to work on this. There is nothing left for me to try or to write (I have written a lot).

They need to get a Zoho Account and AquaMail and start looking at this.

Thank you again though! :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:52:25 pm by nyceyes »

Justin

Out of curiosity I also created a Zoho account a few minutes ago. IMAP access works perfectly in AquaMail. No problems.

Settings for Zoho were found by AquaMail automatically, no manual input needed.

Please note that for regional reasons I am not allowed to create a "com" address at Zoho, but have to create an "eu" address.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:19:31 pm by Justin »

nyceyes

Hi Justin:

Thank you. I appreciate your doing that.

Yes I tried that, too. Meaning I erased the account from AquaMail completely, and added my username and password only, allowing the wizard to automatically discover the rest (no manual input). Sadly, that didn't work either.

I'm going to create a new Zoho Account temporarily and try it in my same AquaMail client. I was hoping to use a second Zoho Account I already have, but I cannot find the password (since I stopped using it many years ago). I'll report back.

By the way, for whatever it's worth, the IP addresses between the .com and .eu IMAP servers differ, but they could be the same or different server farms (there's no way to tell).

Code: [Select]
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   imap.zoho.eu
Address: 31.186.226.36

Name:   imappro.zoho.eu
Address: 31.186.226.36

Name:   imap.zoho.com
Address: 204.141.43.211[b].eu

Name:   imappro.zoho.com
Address: 204.141.43.212

twill

This seems to be fixed for me. 

nyceyes

Both of your accounts? (When you press refresh)

twill

Both of your accounts? (When you press refresh)

Yes.  I no longer have the red exclamation mark.

mikeone

Hopefully Zoho is currently in the process of fixing this weird issue ...

phred

@nyceyes & twill - where are both of you located? That might be a clue. And it now seems more likely it's a Zoho error and not AM.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:37:29 pm by phred »

twill

@nyceyes & twill - where are both of you located? That might be a clue. And it now seems more likely it's a Zoho error and not AM.

I am in AZ.

I agree that it's a Zoho error.  I've been using Aquamail for ages and it has never failed me.

nyceyes

I am in AZ.

I agree that it's a Zoho error.  I've been using Aquamail for ages and it has never failed me.

I am in New York City.

Me, too. For MANY years with never an issue. I love AquaMail and don't want any other client. :)

BTW, earlier in this thread I mentioned trying VPNing to various parts of the country (I think Houston and Silicon Valley), but the IMAP servers resolved to the same IP-addresses.

Also, just now (per my request) Zoho sent me a test account, which I will try right away and report back! I have to run an errand first. Be back in an hour! Sorry but soon I'll try it.

phred

I am in AZ.

And just as a wild guess, I'd say ncyeyes is in NYC. One part of the country got fixed before the other?

nyceyes

@phred
Correct, NYC. :)

UPDATE: The test account Zoho gave me works in my AquaMail client with the IMAP settings we've been using. So it appears to be not only a Zoho issue, but also an account-specific issue for me.  ::)

Perhaps it was for other too, initially, and cleared up for them but not for me (so far anyway). But I'll let Zoho weigh in and keep you posted on what they reply with (for completeness).

Meanwhile, thank you to everyone for chiming in and contributing. I do appreciate it! \o/

I'll check back soon.

nyceyes

Hello Again Friends:

So my IMAP is finally working again. But unfortunately, now my SMTP (outgoing) authentication isn't working, which they are now looking in to. (._.)

Anyway, as far as IMAP goes, here is what they wrote me when I asked what happened (not totally definitive or clear, but it's something for you guys/gals to read):
  • Hello, Sorry about the inconvenience experienced. We observed an intermittent network level issue during the time when you had initially reported the issue. However, our backend team had identified and fixed the same. We are cautiously monitoring the IMAP connectivity from our end. Please check and let us know if you are in need of any further assistance. ^Barath