Author Topic: Unread count is not correct on Galaxy Note 8  (Read 13223 times)

rodinbey

Unread count is not correct on Galaxy Note 8
« on: March 16, 2018, 02:07:13 am »
Hi,

I've just purchased pro version of Aquamail but unread count and notifications are behaving very strange comlared to my previous experience with Newton, BlueMail etc. and all other email client apps.

Under message notifications if I select
Notify about > All unread messages

- Unread count shows correct (let's say 50 unread emails)
- Notification center is a mess - showing all old unread emails which is unacceptable

If I select
Notify about > New unread messages

- Notification center shows only truly news message
- Unread count assuming that I only have "1" unread message avoiding 50 older unread messages

How it should be (or at least to have an option)
Notification center should show only new incoming message and unread count on the app icon should be increased to 51 unreads.

Please let me know if I can fix this.

PS I'm using nova launcher prime and teslaunread on Samsung galaxy note 8.

Many thanks

Kostya Vasilyev

Re: Unread count is not correct on Galaxy Note 8
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 07:31:23 pm »
Re: Notification center is a mess - showing all old unread emails which is unacceptable

What is "notification center"?

Re: Notification center should show only new incoming message and unread count on the app icon should be increased to 51 unreads.

While I have no idea what it is - the unread count on the app's icon and in notifications both follow the "new / all unread" setting.

---

In addition, there have been some reported issues with Nova in the past.

Aqua has built-in support for Nova, and you just need to install Tesla Unread and enable "badges" in Nova settings.

You do *not* want to enable a Nova feature where it monitors app notifications and comes up with badge value based on that. At least not for Aqua.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

rodinbey

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 12:29:39 pm »
Hello Kostya,

Let me explain you with the images attached.

Thanks in advance for your help.

mikeone

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 04:10:57 pm »
The image in the middle ("Inbox = 42 messages") is not a "notification", it's just a counter inside the app which shows the total number of all (unread?) messages in your inbox.

rodinbey

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 04:50:23 pm »
The image in the middle ("Inbox = 42 messages") is not a "notification", it's just a counter inside the app which shows the total number of all (unread?) messages in your inbox.
Yes, I wanted to show the real unread count and showing only 1 unread at the third image.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

mikeone

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 06:09:07 pm »
Yes, I wanted to show the real unread count and showing only 1 unread at the third image.
You will see the (new) unread message count only at the app's icon on Android's homescreen, not inside the app. In AquaMail you see always the total number of all unread messages - not just the "new" unread messages.

rodinbey

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 06:53:00 pm »
You will see the (new) unread message count only at the app's icon on Android's homescreen, not inside the app. In AquaMail you see always the total number of all unread messages - not just the "new" unread messages.
I think there is a misunderstanding. I don't know why I couldn't explain myself clearly.

If you use any of the other email apps it can be any of them.

Unread count on the icon (homescreen) shows total number of unread. BUT when you receive one new email - notification comes as 1 new email. (at the home screen when you swipe down).

If you want Aquamail to show your total unread email on the icon, and after that if you receive ONE new email, it's showing notification for all unread emails (total number of unread in inbox).

I hoped it makes it clear.

rodinbey

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 06:54:17 pm »
Hello Kostya,

Let me explain you with the images attached.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I tried to explain it at the first screenshot here. I received only ONE new email but notification showing all unread emails.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 02:02:50 pm »
The unread badge and notifications both follow the one and only "new / all unread" setting. There is no way to get badges working one way and notifications working the other way.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

rodinbey

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 05:16:46 pm »
The unread badge and notifications both follow the one and only "new / all unread" setting. There is no way to get badges working one way and notifications working the other way.
Do you think you'll change it soon? All emails on iOS Android or pc working the other way.

See screenshot, you understood what I meant right?

mikeone

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 06:56:20 pm »
You could try the (app's) settings

> Settings > Message notifications >...

as shown in my first screenshot.

In addition to that please check if there are no 'account-specific' settings (unintentionally)

> Long-press on account name > Special settings > Message notifications > Disable 'Special settings': togle the button to the left
[Repeat this for each account]

as shown in my second screenshot.

The result should be the same behavior "as any other app does"  8)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:59:39 pm by mikeone »

rodinbey

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 07:08:14 pm »
You could try the (app's) settings

> Settings > Message notifications >...

as shown in my first screenshot.

In addition to that please check if there are no 'account-specific' settings (unintentionally)

> Long-press on account name > Special settings > Message notifications > Disable 'Special settings': togle the button to the left
[Repeat this for each account]

as shown in my second screenshot.

The result should be the same behavior "as any other app does"  8)
Many thanks. Unfortunately it doesn't work.

If I changed notification to "New unread message" then notifications are correct (like outlook etc.)

BUT icon unread number counting only new unread message too.

So it's showing zero now, but actually I have 25 emails unread in my inbox.

mikeone

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 07:40:26 pm »
Well, that's the way AquaMail is working as intended - as already explained by Kostya:

... and - at least in my opinion - that's the way how notifications should work: notification and the badge should notify me about about new or all unread messages: both should show the same number of new or all unread messages. The 'real' total number of (= all) unread messages you can see inside the app.

However, if you want to be notified about the number of *all* unread messages - even without opening the app (outside the app) - then you are able to change that in the settings: Notify about 'All unread messages'
[see screenshot below]

... The decision is up to you  :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:46:24 pm by mikeone »

rodinbey

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 07:42:16 pm »
Well, that's the way AquaMail is working as intended - as already explained by Kostya:

... and - at least in my opinion - that's the way how notifications should work: notifications and the badge should notify me about about new or all unread messages: both should show the same number of new or all unread messages. The 'real' total number of (= all) unread messages you always can see  inside the app.

However, if you want to be notified about the number of *all* unread messages - even without opening the app (outside the app) - then you are able to change that in the settings: Notify about 'All unread messages'
[see screenshot below]

... The decision is up to you  :)
Yes I wrote about that earlier. If I choose all unread messages, then every new email notification showing like 20 new emails. I've posted screenshots earlier.

This is not how it should work. Outlook, Gmail, mail app, thunderbird etc. None of them working like that.

rodinbey

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 08:03:44 pm »
Are you really talking about apps on a mobile device's OS (Thunderbird?)
Talking about all. Android, iOS, Mac OS and windows. All of them acting as same instead of Aquamail.