Author Topic: Empty mails - no text when viewing mails ...  (Read 4811 times)

SnowFish

Empty mails - no text when viewing mails ...
« on: February 10, 2018, 05:02:25 pm »
Hi,

Have installed AquaMail on my new Huawei Mate 10 Pro and experience som strange behavior.
Android 8.0.0 and AquaMail 1.13.2-730.

When viewing emails, no content is shown in the message, no text, and that's on emails that have previously been viewed fine.
Then when i try to view same messages later, they sometimes show the content without any problems bot other times not.
So can't read mails that have been downloaded to the phone.

It happens on both the Gmail account and a IMAP account.

Have auto-sync enabled on both accounts and both accounts automaticly check for new mails.

Tried to re-install the AquaMail app and reconfigure both email accounts several times.
At one point the problem with no content in the emails appear.

When emails have attatchments, they are not shown either.

Have attatched some screendumps with the issue.

Don't experience the problem on my Sony Xperia V with same two accounts and same version of AquaMail.

Any ideas?

SnowFish

Re: Empty mails - no text when viewing mails ...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 12:44:23 am »
Hi again,

Looks like the problem is somehow related to moving mails between folders and then after re-sync, sometimes, the content of emails in all accounts is shown as empty. Very strange.

Have also experienced the problem when enabling Preload Attatchements and Embedded Images for WiFi.
But if i disable Preload, the problem is still there.

It also happens when using one Gmail account, where there's only about 50 emails, few with attatchments.

Have been using AquaMail since 2013 and never before experienced this type of problem.
Actually AquaMail have been working very well on my old phone.

Nadejda Fudulska, MobiSystems, AquaMail support

• Administrator
    • MobiSystems
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 02:39:30 pm »
Hi Alex,

The same issue was reported by another user with the same device model/make.
In addition, there are no such issues on Nexus 5x (Android 8.1 beta, previously 8.0), or other phones with 8.0 (e.g. Samsung S8 - 8.0 is in "beta"). Therefore, we assume that this is a device specific occurrence.

As a workaround, please try to enable "manual launch" control for Chrome and "run in background". I have attached a screenshot for you to illustrate (Battery usage -> Chrome -> the screenshot), originally set to "manage automatically".

Please let me know how it works.

SnowFish

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 04:36:52 pm »
Hi Nadejda,

Thanks for replying.  :)

Have made the settings for Chrome as you suggested and seems to be working.  :)

Also made same settings for AquaMail

What i see, when studying the syslog file in my router, is that when syncing in AquaMail, there's no connections made to the mail servers while syncing.
But the notification icon shows that AquaMail is syncing, the same when looking at all the folders, looks like each folder is syncing, but no connections to mail servers.

How come the settings for Chrome affects the AquaMail application?

My phone is:
Model: BLA-L29,
Build: BLA-L29 8.0.0.127 (C432),
EMUI: 8.0.0,
Android: 8.0.0.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 08:29:14 pm »
Re: How come the settings for Chrome affects the AquaMail application

Aqua Mail uses an "embedded HTML engine" to show the content of messages. Same as any other email app.

The implementation behind this "HTML engine", since 7.0, is Google Chrome. But the "talking" between the two apps is completely "behind our app's back".

So we just tell Android that we need to render some HTML - and Android 7.0+ runs Chrome in the background and says "OK, give me your HTML code and I'll render it on the screen".

In Android 5.0 - 6.0 this "engine" is not Chrome, rather it's something built on Chrome and called Android System WebView.

--

As to why this issue exists on Huawei 10 (and no other phone with 8.0) and how exactly it's related to battery optimizations - you'd have to ask Huawei :)
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

SnowFish

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 02:41:21 am »
Hi Kostya,

Very nice, thanks a lot for your fine explanation.  :)

Have been using AquaMail the last five years (Android 4.? - 4.3), it never failed me and it has many settings and possibilities for customization.  :)

Good there a way to deal with it so i can keep on using it.  :)

Keep up the good work.  :)