Author Topic: LED Light Not Notifying on Oreo  (Read 8591 times)

terminatorsquawk

LED Light Not Notifying on Oreo
« on: February 05, 2018, 03:21:48 pm »
I believe the LED light is not working on Android 8.0.0 / Oreo

My phone is rooted - Xperia XZs
Testing was completed with this app and the app "Light Manager"

Light Manager has an extra permission that MUST be allowed prior to complete control of LED Notification light - I noticed that AquaMail does not have this setting. AquaMail just has the basic "Allow LED Notifications" on that Notification box (which I had enabled)

Can you please look into this? Thank you in advance

Kostya Vasilyev

Re: LED Light Not Notifying on Oreo
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 06:59:26 pm »
Re: Light Manager has an extra permission that MUST be allowed prior to complete control of LED Notification light

Maybe for rooted access to low level control (other apps like this - Light Flow, maybe others).

But Android LED notifications don't need any permissions.

However, in Android 7, Google decided that the LED will only flash if a notification has a sound or vibration.

Some devices have a setting to override this (e.g. Nexus 5x), some manufacturers never implemented Google's change.

Please search the forum for more detailed info, this has come up in the past.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

terminatorsquawk

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 05:05:00 am »
I just find it difficult to believe that out of all the apps I install (without any modifications), Aquamail is the only one that does not work.

I know I am not the smartest person, but my main job is tech support.
Usually, if every other item works except for one, then we have to investigate it =)

The good news is I have a new theory.
When I turn on Aquamail for the first time, I am importing from another phone. Is this a possible bug in the import process?

I am importing from Android 6.0 to Android 8.0 version of Aquamail.....
There are 4 Gmail accounts and one Yahoo account that is imported.

edit:
to ensure it is not user error, the following list is things I have verified and/or enabled

Settings > Apps & Notifications > Configure notifications
"Notifications" = "On for all apps"
"Allow notification dots" = ENABLED
"Blink light" = ENABLED
"On the lock screen" = Show all notification content
"Keep notifications on lock screen" = ENABLED

Settings > Apps & Notifications > App info
Aquamail: All permissions enabled (Calendar, Contacts, Phone, Storage)
Notifications: On, Allow notification dot, Allow sound, Interrupts Priority only = ALL ENABLED
Battery: Background activity = ENABLED
Power-saving feature = Excepted

Aquamail settings - SEARCH "led"
Message notifications, LED notifications = Use the LED for notifications
Turn LED on for... = 3 seconds
Turn LED off for... = 2 seconds
Nights and weekends = Unchecked/Not used

High Priority notifications = ENABLED

[edit 12 Feb 2018 2.09 UTC]
After several hours of testing, it appears due to higher security restrictions in Android 8.0, lockscreen settings must NOT be "Don't show notifications at all" else LED does not turn on.
6.0 LED would still show up without having any indication of email being displayed in lock screen.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:28:59 am by terminatorsquawk »

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 08:30:32 pm »
After several hours of testing, it appears due to higher security restrictions in Android 8.0, lockscreen settings must NOT be "Don't show notifications at all" else LED does not turn on.
6.0 LED would still show up without having any indication of email being displayed in lock screen.

So this turned out an Android issue after all? :)

terminatorsquawk

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 05:03:53 am »
That is .... half correct!  ;D

I found out that LED does NOT work unless each individual account's "High priority notifications" are checked.

Assuming that Aquamail's backup setting feature saved the exact same settings and migration wasn't an issue, there is a bug here.

The obvious work around for this issue is, of course, going into each email account and checking "High priority notifications" ............

edit"
Correction to the above: It was actually an Aquamail setting that is broken. If I uncheck that high priority notification, LED stops working. I tried turning notifications off on the lock screen, and the LED light still works as long as I do not tamper with that Aquamail setting.

It is odd, considering I did not have this option enabled in Android 6.0 and the "general" high priority notification setting did not work.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:55:08 am by terminatorsquawk »

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 06:11:58 pm »
Like I wrote above -

"However, in Android 7, Google decided that the LED will only flash if a notification has a sound or vibration."

Priority notifications also require a sound / vibration, so if you enable priority but don't use either (sound / vibration), the code set a dummy vibration pattern.

So it's not a "problem with app's settings" - it's just a coincidence.

The root issue however is - Google's decision that "no sound / no vibration -> no LED".

( btw, I absolutely hate how their own apps default to using a sound... and notify me about more and more things by default - e.g. random strangers sharing their location, trying to send me files, .....  - all with sounds )

terminatorsquawk

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 02:19:24 pm »
*sighs*
it's funny. This is the same thing I go through at work.

I'm not gonna argue with you since you're THE DEV that's going to help make and/or make these changes..... Not to mention there is a workaround for the issue.

However, I do believe there's an item that does need a look at in the settings, since the main LED settings don't work, but the workaround of individually setting EACH email does.

Anyways, thank you for your product. It is great and I am a supporter (having purchased the unlock code)

Since this will be archived eventually - for anyone else in the future reading this - ENSURE ACCOUNT SETTINGS ARE SET INDIVIDUALLY, and not at the main settings level ('cause the main settings level is wonky)

mikeone

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 03:55:52 pm »
As far as I understood the (individual) account-specific settings will (and are supposed to) overwrite the (general) app-level settings.

So, if the LED option is disabled (in account-specific settings), then the LED shouldn't work, even if the (general) option is enabled.

Therefore it seems that the app is working as intended... at least in my opinion.

terminatorsquawk

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 08:47:39 am »
Mike,

If that is the case, then that means when I was using the app in previous Android 6.0, the app was broken and not working as intended for X amount of years......
And new android version 8.0 fixed the issue?  :o
That seems unlikely.

Like I mentioned previously, I used the import feature in Aquamail to export from 6.0 and then import to 8.0 .... when I saw LED was not working in 8.0, that is when I started messing with ALL the LED settings.
I know I am not the smartest user, but if I am to agree with you, then you must also agree that something else in the program is broken considering settings should be 100% the same due to using export/import feature.
(Your theory would imply that the issue I should be looking at is export/import not working correctly, and LED settings were incorrectly working in 6.0 but now working in 8.0........)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:50:41 am by terminatorsquawk »

mikeone

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 09:53:43 am »
Hi,

The interaction between general settings and account-specific settings is a bit tricky. In addition to that the behavior since Android 7 has been changed compared to before: in Android 7, Google decided that the LED will only flash if a notification has a sound or vibration - as mentioned and explained by Kostya.

In your case, both facts are now taken together - after moving to your new device - and led to a changed behavior which you (unfortunately) tried to treat by modifying Aqua Mail settings.

But, as explained by Kostya, the problem wasn't with AquaMail but rather with Androids new requirements.

In short:
To solve your problem, I would try the following steps:

1 - Disable the 'account-specific' settings for "Message notifications" (for ALL accounts) in AquaMail. > long-press on Account name > Special settings > Message notifications > Just toggle the button 'Special settings' to the left: see screenshot #1

2 - Enable notifications in AquaMail's general settings (section "Message notifications"). Just activate the checkbox (a) 'Enable notifications', '(b) LED notifications' and (c) 'Vibration'

3 - Check Android's system settings if notifications are enabled in general and/or specific for the app AquaMail. Change/modify these settings if necessary. see screenshot #2 (maybe Sony-specific)
Do not touch or change any settings in AquaMail - to avoid unwanted interferences between AquaMail and Android at this stage.

4 - Watch what happens and give feedback here in the forum
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:14:13 am by mikeone »

terminatorsquawk

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 04:27:00 am »
Ugh, just close this topic out.

From the extremely explicit list of items that need to be defaulted in order for LED to work via your methods (I'm assuming to prove me wrong), it appears to be more of a conflicting setting issue via AquaMail's own internal settings, than it is with Android settings.

Yes, both Light Flow and Light Manager DO require additional elevated "Notification Access", however upon further testing of Light Flow - it is not required. Triggering of LED test does work without that elevated Notification Access toggled (Not sure how to get to that menu, but app had a pop up asking user to toggle it)

If you care to research this further, here are my current (working and customized to my liking) settings:

Each email account has a different LED color.

Message notifications (general)
If not listed, it is UNCHECKED.
Enable notifications
LED notifications
Use account color
High priority notifications
Protect privacy
Manage per-account
Launcher icon counter

Android settings (app notification menu):
On - ENABLED
Allow notification dot - ENABLED
Allow sound - ENABLED
On the lock screen: Don't show notifications at all
Interrupts Priority only - ENABLED

Special settings for INDIVIDUAL email accounts:
Special Settings
Enable notifications
Play sound only once
LED notifications
Use account color
High Priority notifications
Protect Privacy

Since I threw in several hours worth of testing in order to solve this issue myself, I don't really see a point continuing this debate.
Not to mention nobody else has reported anything similar. *shrugs*

Idk. You win, congrats.
I assumed I was trying to do a good thing by reporting an issue, but I guess not, so please disregard question and close this topic.

mikeone

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 10:17:31 am »
Thank you for your feedback.

First of all, I'm an user (not a member of the MobiSystems team, not the developer) who is just trying to help other users.

Back to your issue:

The only three options you need to activate (in AquaMail) are mentioned in my previous post in the second point:

2 - Enable notifications in AquaMail's general settings (section "Message notifications"). Just activate the checkbox (a) 'Enable notifications', '(b) LED notifications' and (c) 'Vibration'

As mentioned in the first point - 1 - you don't need to enable any "account-specific" options. That's the reason they are already disabled by default.

The options under point - 3 - are all in Android's system settings. I just recommended to check these options before trying to modify the (default) settings of AquaMail.

However, I understand from your feedback that - despite my recommendation - you have set account-specific settings in Aqua Mail:
> "Each email account has a different LED color."
and "Special settings for INDIVIDUAL email accounts: (enabled, I guess)"

Therefore - again - my recommendation to follow my suggested steps (first of all):

Message notifications (general)
Enable notifications enabled
LED notifications enabled
Use account color enabled (if desired)
Vibration enabled
High priority notifications disabled (not needed in this step)
Protect privacy enabled (if desired)
Manage per-account enabled (if desired)
Launcher icon counter enabled (recommended, since you are using a Sony Xperia device)

Special settings for INDIVIDUAL email accounts:
Special settings > Message notifications  disabled (as recommended in my previous post - not needed in this step)
> Just toggle the button 'Special settings' to the left: see screenshot #1
The following options are not available (greyed-out) now
Enable notifications
Play sound only once
LED notifications
Use account color
High Priority notifications
Protect Privacy

To get the LED working, now you should try the settings in Android's system settings and/or in your other third-party app (if you are using Light Flow and/or Light Manager - which I'm not do :) )

Your feedback is very welcome...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 10:20:56 am by mikeone »