Author Topic: Backing up settings on a Chromebook  (Read 2070 times)

adrian

Backing up settings on a Chromebook
« on: September 20, 2017, 12:34:55 am »
Hi, I've backed up the settings to the 'Android' Download directory but can't find the files on my Chromebook to save them onto my Google Drive. Does anyone know where to find them please?

Since this is just the Android version 'ARC'ed, would it be possible for you to add an option on the Android version (and then ARC it for Chromebook users) to backup the settings direct to the cloud (Google,Microsoft etc) ?

Many thanks
Adrian

StR

Re: Backing up settings on a Chromebook
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 02:35:39 am »
Typically, on Android devices, "Download" directory is in /storage/sdcard0/ or /storage/emulated /sdcard or something similar to that.
I don't know where it would be on Chromebook with Android emulator.

On native Android devices Aquamail can store configuration/account setup backup to a cloud drive (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.), as long as the corresponding app is providing access to that. Under Android emulator on Chromebook, can you see your cloud drive using one of the Android apps, e.g. "Files" (or "Download" app.)? It would be really up to that Android emulator to provide that environment that allows apps to interact between them. And from what I read, - that emulator is still not providing all functionality of Android.

adrian

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 11:18:53 pm »
I can see my cloud but not via AquaMail. Looking at it further, I ARCed an Android File Manager app, could see the Download directory but nothing was in it. I created a 'backup' directory in it but from AquaMail, there was no directory. I think Android apps are sandboxed (for security probably) so it'd need to be AquaMail looking at my Google Drive but on the backup option there is nothing to select anything other than the standard 'Android' directories (Podcast,Movies etc).

Adrian

adrian

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 11:44:52 pm »
Looking into it further, unfortunately it seems that AquaMail have to ARC their app with  {"enableExternalDirectory": "true"}  in the parameters line before test/make zip. Could someone from AquaMail please do that?

Many thanks
Adrian