Author Topic: Attn: MobiSystems. -- The present and future of Aquamail  (Read 23104 times)

waltdisneypixar

Re: Attn: MobiSystems. -- The present and future of Aquamail
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 08:33:18 am »
Download Blue Mail app and let AquaMail die alone

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

mikeone

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 09:04:01 am »
@nica
It is a good choice and really advisable to warn against this adware version in your local forum.

The development since the transfer to MobiSystems is very annoying.

On the German Goggle Play Store are now "tons" of 1-star ratings, starting on 18th September 2017.
[Until then there was predominantly 5-star ratings].

@Kostya
Thanks a lot for a GREAT app, one of the best Android apps ever!
Thanks for your incredible job and support in the past. It was also a great pleasure for me to had the opportunity to participate in this development.

@all
Especially @ParisGeek, @StR, @nica, @Thomas, @Davey126, @Fcasoli, @someone, @patrickdrd and last but not least @Pyler

Thanks for the very creative and above all always respectful discussions here in the forum. I greatly appreciated your thoughts and ideas and it was a great enrichment for me as well.

My opinion and decision to leave the forum I mentioned in my signature below.
[However, I will continue using this great app, but maybe stick with the last known 'good' version...

Thank you, bye and take care.

@MobiSystems
Good luck...
May your greed not destroy the great work of Kostya completely! (Your reputation and trust is already down, anyway.)

A life to grow, a day to die...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:09:44 am by mikeone »

jmccabe

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 09:46:47 am »

Blue Mail is one of the ones I mentioned that pulls your email through their external systems,  before feeding it to the client on your device, so they can make money from information they scrape out of your private messages.

Check their privacy policy for details; I'm not convinced that's a good option for replacing Aqua Mail, yet.

waltdisneypixar

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 09:47:54 am »

Blue Mail is one of the ones I mentioned that pulls your email through their external systems,  before feeding it to the client on your device, so they can make money from information they scrape out of your private messages.

Check their privacy policy for details; I'm not convinced that's a good option for replacing Aqua Mail, yet.
So what is the best choice we have?
Our own offfial email app?

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

patrickdrd

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 10:58:54 am »
the same discussion has occurred in the past and k9 was mentioned, but:
1) it doesn't support exchange
2) it doesn't support Unicode search

so, good luck to those who.. leave the ship,
but I don't think there's a client like aquamail out there,
kostya has done a great job,

I have paid for the app anyway, so ads aren't my problem,
if/whenever I have problem in the future,
I will stick to the last known good version,
we're talking about android anyway,
security updates in not that big an issue,
as it is in windows

jmccabe

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 11:47:40 am »

So what is the best choice we have?

I don't know  :(

I'll need to take another look. MobiSystems taking over had me worried straight away; as I've mentioned in earlier messages, even when you pay for their apps they advertise the new version as having 'features' that, when you try to use them, they turn out to be 'pay-per-use' (see File Commander as an example, and their 'office suite' is similar).

mscheaf

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 11:09:59 pm »

at least they are up front about and don't try to hide it like shady scammers.

jmccabe

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 01:17:22 am »
Mmm fair point.

Actually, this has made me wonder whether there's more to the recent "open links within the app" feature than meets the eye.

StR

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 01:49:15 am »
Actually, this has made me wonder whether there's more to the recent "open links within the app" feature than meets the eye.
Like what?

nica

StR

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 05:40:40 pm »
And for all others, Google Translate is your friend:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.android-hilfe.de%2Fforum%2Faqua-mail.2241%2Faquamail-nun-mit-werbung-und-mal-nebenbei-geaenderter-privacy-policy.848164.html&edit-text=

Thank you, nica!

PS. It's funny to read "goes long before the dogs" (from "geht langfristig vor die Hunde")  :D

jmccabe

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 05:57:15 pm »
Like what?
Well, I don't know how that works, but I wondered whether doing it that way allowed apps to monitor the activity themselves, rather than just off-loading everything to chrome for example. If that was the case, there's probably quite a lot of additional info you could scrape from it.

StR

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 12:09:48 am »
Like what?
Well, I don't know how that works, but I wondered whether doing it that way allowed apps to monitor the activity themselves, rather than just off-loading everything to chrome for example. If that was the case, there's probably quite a lot of additional info you could scrape from it.

I don't know all the details of how this functionality is implemented in Aquamail, but I have my doubts that it can collect the information. Here is why.
First of all, with the permissions that the app (Aquamail) has, it already has access to a plethora of information. What can it gain from your viewing the link? The link is already in the message, so, there is nothing new, by opening it. You can argue that Aquamail can see which pages you went to from that page. I don't know if that is possible or not. My understanding is that essentially, Aquamail just opens an instance of Chrome (if that is installed on the device) within its (Aquamail's) window, passes the URL to it, and the rest is ran by Chrome. So, I don't know if Aquamail can still access which links are accessed by Chrome at that point.

And from a different perspective, AFAIR, that functionality was implemented in response to users' request(s?) here in this forum, where people didn't like extra clicks to open a viewer externally, and then needing to get back to Aquamail. 
Personally, I don't care for that and I'd rather have control over which browser is being used (I use Opera [a legacy version] on my phone).

jmccabe

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 12:59:02 am »
You may be right, which is why I mentioned I didn't know how it worked, but..

https://www.addthis.com/blog/2017/04/04/in-app-browsers-explained/#.WcWGn4y0lPY

StR

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2017, 02:17:24 am »
I might be wrong, - didn't have a chance to look how the in-app browser looks in Aquamail, - but based on the information I have, I suspect Kostya is using CCT (Chrome Custom Tabs).
(Otherwise, if he were using WebView for that, - there would be no dependency on the Chrome being installed/available on the device.)
If that's correct, then, according to this article (thanks for sharing it),  the app (Aquamail) has no additional way of intercepting the content (compared to an external browser).