Author Topic: Ads appearing in message list  (Read 9256 times)

Nigelmay

Ads appearing in message list
« on: September 18, 2017, 11:56:13 pm »
Today an ad for some site called Wish, which is tagged as an ad but appears like any other message in the inbox message list, has suddenly started to appear and there is no apparant way of deleting it. If pressed, it takes me to a Google Play Store site via a browser. Interestingly, it's only in AquaMail, and doesn't show up in K-9 which is still on my phone.

Any ideas on how to stop this and get rid of it please.

Samsung S-7 Edge, Android 7.0

waltdisneypixar

Re: Ads appearing in message list
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 01:58:45 am »
I came here for the same
Wrong move from AquaMail
If you want to add ads do it like Xplayer app, not like this
I guess i need to find another email app

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

Geezer

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 03:10:29 am »

You must purchase the Aqua Mail Pro Key app for $9.99 USD.

Nadejda Fudulska, MobiSystems, AquaMail support

• Administrator
    • MobiSystems
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 10:01:59 am »
Our team puts great effort in developing, testing and supporting the app.
Advertising makes it possible to continue offering a free app for everyone to use. This is why some optional, advanced features are part of the Pro version, and come in an ad-free environment.

Nadia

waltdisneypixar

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 04:01:51 pm »
Blue Mail is the new AquaMail
Bye

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

nica

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 05:11:49 pm »
Written in another thread, too:

And what about "communicating"?

Why not show an announcement some weeks before about this at same place instead of just suddenly switching into an adware app?

Users would have be informed about your intentions (and would have thought about purchasing pro) instead of being irritated and asking here.

1-star Ratings in play store already show the upcoming shitstorm, which you could have avoid.

StR

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 06:33:14 pm »
For those who are following this thread, I invite you to this separate thread that discusses the implications of how this change was done on the future of Aquamail:
https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=6084.0

mscheaf

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 07:10:48 pm »
Yep, my review is going to 1 star as well.

Written in another thread, too:

And what about "communicating"?

Why not show an announcement some weeks before about this at same place instead of just suddenly switching into an adware app?

Users would have be informed about your intentions (and would have thought about purchasing pro) instead of being irritated and asking here.

1-star Ratings in play store already show the upcoming shitstorm, which you could have avoid.

mscheaf

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 07:13:13 pm »
Who would do that at this point? This app just signed it's own death warrant. People will be uninstalling in droves. It will be dead and forgotten in 6 months and be just another email client that people used to use. Why would I pay for THAT?

You must purchase the Aqua Mail Pro Key app for $9.99 USD.

Geezer

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 08:40:12 pm »
For the record, the Pro version is now "on sale" for $4.99 USD.  The price was doubled, and then cut in half to coincide with ads in the message list.

So as others have already alluded, it appears that the fair-handed and transparent development and marketing practices maintained by the original developer have shifted over to the dark side.  You have to ask, why should this product be any different?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:00:10 pm by Geezer »

Nigelmay

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 09:01:10 pm »
I like the app and so I have given in and purchased the Pro version, but the whole episode leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth.

It could almost be a case study in how to upset customers - my first reaction when ads started to appear was that one of the innumerable spam mails had somehow managed to infect my phone, but when I realised that K-9 was the same as it had ever been, the light dawned and I realsied that yet again some faceless corporation had decided to take its customer base for a ride.

StR

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 09:07:39 pm »
For the record, the Pro version is now "on sale" for $4.99 USD.  The price was doubled, and then cut in half to coincide with ads in the message list.
That happened with the last 1-2 hours. I looked earlier, after you posted $9.99 price, and it was at that, for both "Pro", and "in-app purchase" for the free version.
A clever way to nudge people who don't want to see ads into buying this app... 
... it would've been if only that change were announced clearly, without being sneaked in.

You have to ask, why should this product be any different?
Despite the life-induced cynicism and skepticism, I have a hope for the best in humans, until proven otherwise. But after the past year of continuously lowered bar for acceptable public behavior and business ethics, I am no longer shocked: this is just yet another "illusion" to disappear.

ThomasLeigh

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 12:56:02 am »
I've discovered one strange thing: I use the same (free) version of AquaMail as My Friend, both on Android 6, one on HTC 825, the other on Xiaomi Redmi 4A (MIUI 8). Screen size is similar: My has 5", the other 5.5". But ads are displayed only on the HTC 825 phone = I Myself don't experience them at all among other messages on the list.

Why it is possible? I don't use any ad-blocker.

nica

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 01:30:40 am »
Might be staged rollout? Testing reactions?

StR

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 01:52:08 am »
Could you double check the actual version of Aquamail (Settings -> about)?
Maybe your friend didn't install the last update?