Author Topic: Ads all of the sudden in my email preview?  (Read 7078 times)

Coates

Ads all of the sudden in my email preview?
« on: September 18, 2017, 10:08:13 pm »
I have used the free version of this app for a number of years now. Just today I went into my emails and there are ad banners mixed in with my messages?  How did this happen?

StR

Re: Ads all of the sudden in my email preview?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 10:14:13 pm »
Which version are you using?
How do you know those ads are not from the messages themselves?
Could you please, post screenshots?

mikeone

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 10:21:16 pm »
I have used the free version of this app for a number of years now. Just today I went into my emails and there are ad banners mixed in with my messages?  How did this happen?
Really?

smitten

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 11:34:58 pm »
Same here. See attached screen shot with 'ad' perfect moment photos.  This just started happenimg, never did this before.

justten

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 02:39:09 am »
I have this too. I am going to switch to Blue Mail.

milehighmike

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 08:14:17 am »
I just started getting ads today also.  Cannot delete them.  They move around so that they're always on the page shown on the screen.  I've got 2 of them now.  If I get a few more, they will fill up my screen and I will be unable to read any email.  If this isn't fixed, I'll have no alternative but to move to a different email app but I don't want to do that since I like AquaMail and have used it for years.

Nadejda Fudulska, MobiSystems, AquaMail support

• Administrator
    • MobiSystems
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 10:05:12 am »
Our team puts great effort in developing, testing and supporting the app.

Advertising makes it possible to continue offering a free app for everyone to use. This is why some optional, advanced features are part of the Pro version, and come in an ad-free environment.

Nadia

Optimizt

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 04:48:20 pm »
I also started getting them in the last day or so. I totally understand the need for advertising revenue and accept that ads will be part of the app if I choose not to upgrade. But the placement/design of the ads in the latest version is super distracting, adding too much time when I am trying to scan through the dozens of emails in my inbox. Maybe part of the issue is that they are in a different font size and alignment compared to the messages. Sadly, if it's not changed in the next update, I will likely seek a different app...

nica

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 05:09:33 pm »
And what about "communicating"?

Why not show an announcement some weeks before about this at same place instead of just suddenly switching into an adware app?

Users would have be informed about your intentions (and would have thought about purchasing pro) instead of being irritated and asking here.

1-star Ratings in play store already show the upcoming shitstorm, which you could have avoid.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:12:45 pm by nica »

StR

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 06:20:49 pm »
@smitten
Thank you for posting the snapshot.
I have a paid version, and I don't see any of those.
Mobisystems  wants to capitalize on the investment. And that's understandable.

For those who do not want to have ads, there is an option of paying $10 (or, I believe, it's been on sale recently for a half of that price). The price of Aquamail is not very high, especially considering the quality of the app and the amount of support provided that it wouldn't be a big burden to get a "Pro" version. It is comparable to the price of two sugary drink you get from Starbucks.

On another hand,  @MobiSystems:  why doing it in such a sneaky way? Why not announce it? I understand the surprise for the long-term users of Aquamail.  I am surprised that MobiSystems has not learned from the previous situation with a sneaky introduction of analytics. You are wasting your trust credit.

PS. I just posted a more detailed discussion and a call addressed to MobiSystems here:
https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=6084.0
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 06:28:41 pm by StR »

mscheaf

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 07:06:01 pm »

Advertising makes it possible to continue offering a free app for everyone to use. This is why some optional, advanced features are part of the Pro version, and come in an ad-free environment.

Nadia

It's about trust, and you just threw away what little you had left. I will be switching as well. I was considering paying for this until this crap popped up in my inbox. What is to stop you from doing the same after I pay? You can say you won't, but I don't trust you anymore so I won't believe you. See how important trust is?

JamesOB

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 11:47:37 am »
I have registered on this forum just to say that I find the introduction of advertisements unacceptable and that I am changing to a different email application.
Let me me know if you decide to stop this intrusion and I may return