Author Topic: Delete (the account's delete option)  (Read 3137 times)

Bulldog

Delete (the account's delete option)
« on: August 30, 2017, 07:19:48 pm »
I use POP3 for an email account that I share with my wife.

In AquaMail, what is the meaning of "Delete (the account's delete option)"?

StR

Re: Delete (the account's delete option)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:46:51 pm »
In AquaMail, what is the meaning of "Delete (the account's delete option)"?
This is well explained in the FAQ: http://www.aqua-mail.com/?page_id=227
(Item #2)

You will find lots of other useful information in that FAQ.

Bulldog

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 09:01:15 pm »
I would be very grateful if you would point me to the heading in the FAQ where "Delete (the account's delete option)" is specifically explained. I have thus far been unable to find it, even with the Search box.

mikeone

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 10:39:49 pm »
I would be very grateful if you would point me to the heading in the FAQ where "Delete (the account's delete option)" is specifically explained. I have thus far been unable to find it, even with the Search box.

I'm not sure if you have carefully read @StR's post?

This is well explained in the FAQ: http://www.aqua-mail.com/?page_id=227
(Item #2)

You will find lots of other useful information in that FAQ.

Bulldog

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 12:58:06 am »
Thanks for your reply.

To reiterate: My Settings menu includes the following choices for deleting messages, which differ somewhat from the FAQ:

Move to Deleted
Delete permanently
Hide (keep on server)

Whereas the FAQ addresses these three choices:

Move to Deleted folder first
Delete from the server immediately
Hide in the app, keep on the server

The two 'hide' choices are identical, obviously.

"Move to Deleted" is probably the same as "Move to Deleted folder first."

"Delete permanently" is probably the same as "Delete from the server immediately."

That leaves "Delete (the account's delete option)" which is nowhere explained in the FAQ.

I have reproduced the contents in its entirety. If you see the phrase "Delete (the account's delete option)" in the text below, you have better eyes than I.

-------------------------------------------------------------

There are three methods to delete messages.

The choices are: “Move to Deleted folder first” / “Delete from the server immediately” / “Hide in the app, keep on the server”. The initial default setting is “Move to Deleted”.

When using IMAP, you can synchronize the [ Deleted ] folder with the server if you like. With EWS, this is always the case.

Deleting messages from Gmail requires that they first be moved into the Deleted folder, which in turn has to be set up to synchronize with “[Gmail]/Trash”. When setting up a Gmail account, AquaMail sets this up automatically.

For POP3, the Deleted folder is local, so don’t forget to empty it from time to time (this will delete messages from the server).

The default delete method is specified under “Options and folders” / “Account options” separately for each account (long press on the account in the main screen to open). The setting is called “Deleting messages”.

Changing the default changes the icon you see when viewing a message or when selecting several messages in a message list.

You can apply a non-default delete method in a message list by using the menu (or the “three dots” button which Google calls “overflow”).

So for example, you can keep the default method as “Move to deleted”, and if you see spam messages you’d like to delete immediately, select them, then use the Menu / Overflow button and choose “Delete now”.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:09:33 am by Bulldog »

StR

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 07:58:06 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

To reiterate: My Settings menu includes the following choices for deleting messages, which differ somewhat from the FAQ:

Move to Deleted
Delete permanently
Hide (keep on server)

Whereas the FAQ addresses these three choices:

Move to Deleted folder first
Delete from the server immediately
Hide in the app, keep on the server

I suspect you are referring to the "delete" options under "Swiping" [or some other "localized" settings]. Hence the reference to the "Account's delete option"
 Both mikeone and myself are talking about settings for each specific account (that very "account's delete option") that is the "primary" setting.

Please, take a moment to read the FAQ carefully (in the same item/answer #2 that mikeone and I referred to, and that you quoted):
The default delete method is specified under “Options and folders” / “Account options” separately for each account (long press on the account in the main screen to open). The setting is called “Deleting messages”.

If this still doesn't help, please post screenshots that show clearly where you find those options.

Bulldog

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 04:05:20 am »
I suspect you are referring to the "delete" options under "Swiping" [or some other "localized" settings]. Hence the reference to the "Account's delete option"

Yes, that's exactly right!

Both mikeone and myself are talking about settings for each specific account (that very "account's delete option") that is the "primary" setting.

Now it makes sense. Thank you.   :)