Author Topic: Drafts not editable  (Read 1111 times)

hfinlay10

Drafts not editable
« on: May 31, 2017, 03:48:17 am »
Hi,

Generally love the app, but have noticed that drafts saved in app are then not editable if I open on my PC (using emClient). They open as though they are an email that has already been sent or received, not as a draft. Drafts saved on PC and then opened in Aqua Mail are fine and editable.

Is there a setting in Aqua Mail that is making this happen?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:08:00 am by hfinlay10 »

StR

Re: Drafts not editable
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 08:06:25 am »
It is likely related to the settings of your emClient.

I've been editing drafts created in AquaMail in several other e-mail clients: Thunderbird on PC, alpine on FreeBSD, GMail's web-interface without any problem.

Just a thought: in your emClient, have you set up the [same] "Drafts" as the one used for e-mail drafts? If not, that could be the reason why emClient doesn't think those messages are drafts and editable. Because what you describe would be happening in most e-mail programs if you were to try editing a message in any other folder (rather than the designated "Drafts").

hfinlay10

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 08:15:44 am »
Hi @StR,

The Drafts folder in emClient and in Aqua Mail are simply the default folders set up when I created the account (initailly in emClient), then on Aqua Mail. Draft emails in AquaMail Draft folder show in that folder in emClient, and get saved to that folder when created in emClient, so it seems there is something being lost when they are saved in Aqua Mail.

Maybe I'll install Thunderbird and give that a try and see what happens. It may simply be a glitch in emClient.

Thanks.

Paris Geek

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 08:40:11 am »
Hi,

Drafts saved on PC and then opened in Aqua Mail are fine and editable.

Not exactly, and this is an old client experience issue in AquaMail:

Drafts with rich text saved in another app - eg Thunderbird - are accessible in AquaMail, and editable (ie the user is able to change their words). But they are not *fine* : the rich text is lost when editing the draft in AquaMail. So yes, everything is fine if the user sticks to plain text messages only, which is not my case => client experience bad experience.

This is one of those CX enhancements I would like to see in AquaMail:
(CX_01) edit drafts created by another email app without losing their original rich text.

StR

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 04:10:50 pm »
Paris Geek,
The problem of the OP is in the opposite direction: editing drafts created in Aquamail in a different client.

But your post gave me one more idea: Is emClient capable of editing rich text? (I assumed it should be , but I had never used it.)
So a simple test would be to change email format in Aquamail to "plain text".

hfinlay10

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 04:29:49 pm »
But your post gave me one more idea: Is emClient capable of editing rich text? (I assumed it should be , but I had never used it.)
So a simple test would be to change email format in Aquamail to "plain text".

Tried that too, and still no luck. Seems AquaMail drafts just don't behave.  :(

StR

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 05:12:01 pm »
Have you tried Thunderbird yet, as you were planning?

Kostya Vasilyev, Aqua Mail

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 08:15:31 pm »
And did Em support have any comments?
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

M-Pixel

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 01:06:44 am »
I suffered this same problem when I used eM Client, and am experiencing the same thing in Mailspring.  I also experience this problem when using Fastmail's online interface.  The common factor here is AquaMail.  I understand that it works fine with Thunderbird, but it doesn't work with at least 3 others, and I don't experience this problem with drafts created from other mobile mail apps like K-9.  It would be great if the developers could spin up one or a few of the affected clients and diagnose this issue.  Is AquaMail not setting a header that's expected to be present in drafts?  Is it setting a header that shouldn't be present?

If you create a draft in AquaMail, create an identical draft in a competing mobile mail app, and compare the two at the raw data level to narrow down which aspect of it is preventing numerous clients from recognizing it as a draft, it shouldn't be too hard to fix this bug.