Author Topic: Version 1.9.0-351 - Google Play - staged rollout at 50%  (Read 18651 times)

Davey126

Re: Version 1.9.0-351 - Google Play - staged rollout at 50%
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2017, 04:23:09 pm »
Thank you all for your valuable feedback. We are monitoring it but we have not made the decision yet.
After a week or so without this key feature it is still missed. It would seem an option to enable/disable in message view is the best choice, even if the former is imperfect (I can live with scroll jumping).

As an aside, text reflow is the main reason I use the Opera web browser on Android and is often cited in reviews as a decision critera over Chrome (same underlying engine).

mikeone

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2017, 08:07:30 pm »
Thank you all for your valuable feedback. We are monitoring it but we have not made the decision yet.
After a week or so without this key feature it is still missed. It would seem an option to enable/disable in message view is the best choice, even if the former is imperfect (I can live with scroll jumping).

As an aside, text reflow is the main reason I use the Opera web browser on Android and is often cited in reviews as a decision critera over Chrome (same underlying engine).
I second this suggestion to implement "rewrap text" (after 'zoom-in') as an option.
For me - personally - it's really annoying to need to scroll right / left to be able to read the whole text after zoom into the message.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 08:44:38 pm by mikeone »

StR

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2017, 09:02:58 pm »

Ditto! (on all the statements above)

I also primarily (~98%) use Opera on my phone (I use Chrome only when Wi-Fi sign-in fails in Opera).

das1996

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2017, 10:09:11 pm »
Not only does opera have functioning text reflow, but also seems to be very fast at rendering pages.

nica

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2017, 11:41:44 pm »
Hi, let's distuingish between "pinch-to-zoom" and increasing font size by using volume buttons or menu.

Personally I'm fine using the volume buttons to make text size bigger. And text reflow works like a charm.

When using "pinch-to-zoom", the text reflow does not work anymore. And it seems to be difficult to implement this without having the "jump issue" (if I understood correctly).

Suggestion:
You know, that we have a configurable button bar in message view. Maybe we could have two buttons there to increase/decrease size the same way the volume buttons do?

Maybe the complaining people would like and use it instead of "pinch-to-zoom"...?

Davey126

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2017, 01:20:47 am »
Hi, let's distuingish between "pinch-to-zoom" and increasing font size by using volume buttons or menu.

Personally I'm fine using the volume buttons to make text size bigger. And text reflow works like a charm.

When using "pinch-to-zoom", the text reflow does not work anymore. And it seems to be difficult to implement this without having the "jump issue" (if I understood correctly).

Suggestion:
You know, that we have a configurable button bar in message view. Maybe we could have two buttons there to increase/decrease size the same way the volume buttons do?

Maybe the complaining people would like and use it instead of "pinch-to-zoom"...?
This is an interesting workaround! I was aware of menu/volume button zoom functionality (actually used them regularly on another device) but hadn't tried it recently. I works quite nicely on my current mobile where the volume buttons fall naturally under thumb. My daily driver is a slate with buttons inconveniently positioned on the rear; need to work with that for a few days to see if becomes more natural while processing mail. On a third device I remapped the physical volume buttons w/Xposed (long story); a more accessible menu/button bar option in AquaMail would probably work there.

It would still be nice to see reflow on pinch zoom become an option within message view settings. However, it would be disingenuous to say the priority remains the same following @nica's enlightening comments... at least for me.

As an aside, I hope the MobiSystems takes this as a constructive learning for future releases. In as much as possible promote a positive perspective (eg: viable workarounds) when a feature is removed for cause vs. intentionally omitting it from the change log hoping no one notices. The latter really rubbed me the wrong way.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:01:52 am by Davey126 »

StR

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2017, 04:57:16 am »
Indeed, they are not the same.
And one big advantage of "pinch-to-zoom" is that it works on both text and images. So, if a message contains both that one wants to "enlarge to make legible", you don't need to fiddle with two ways of controlling the effective zoom.

Yet another advantage of using pinch-to-zoom is that is it is the same as  in Opera. And pinch-to-zoom exists in most image-viewing apps. It also exists in a bunch of other apps that deal with text reading (albeit in many cases without reflow). So, it is a standard mechanism implemented by many apps across mobile platforms for zooming in on both images and text.
That makes it a pity that a definite strength (but obviously not quite recognized by Kostya and/or MobiSystems as such) of Aquamail gets abandoned this way.

Suggestion:

Nica, you may or may not have seen it in an earlier thread on this issue: Kostya reminded about the volume keys (which I've been using as well), and I responded.  Indeed, that functionality is helpful in some cases. But in some messages, increasing font size results in the overlap of the lines. No line overlap occurs in case of "pinch-to-zoom".
I just looked at a bunch of the recent messages (on the phone with the pre-change version), and all of these messages where fonts overlap work well with "pinch-to-zoom", and with most of them, reflow works nicely.

For the gurus and curious, here is an example of the HTML that is used in such messages:
Code: [Select]
<td width="560" align="left" valign="top"
style="padding:15px 20px 0px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size:14px; line-height:18px; color:#58585a; font-weight:normal;"
class="lr04">
                      This email is to inform you that your account
information has been updated. If you did not initiate this change, please
                      <a
href="..."  target="_blank" style="color:#0068b3; font-weight:normal;
text-decoration:underline;">click here</a> or contact us at
                      <a href="tel:1-800-KRO-GERS"
alias="Footer:1-800-KRO-GERS" target="_blank" style="color:#0068b3;
font-weight:normal; text-decoration:underline;">1-800-KRO-GERS</a>.
                    </td>

Obviously, in this short example the text reflow is not overly important, I am just using it to illustrate the HTML code where "pinch-to-zoom" works, but the volume buttons - not. While I do not consider this style of e-mail message coding being a good one, unfortunately, there is an appreciable volume of such messages.

Based on the responses of people who chimed in here about the "reflow" issue, - all these people are happy to live with the "jump issue".  So, an option that enables one and disables the other is an obvious solution, since the code for the functionality already exists. (I feel as a broken record, repeating what several people have suggested already). And so far no reason was offered why this toggle option would be a problem.

Well, actually, I think I know the reason, and understand MobiSystem's hesitation to re-enable it: it might be hard to explain to many "unsuspecting" users that if they experience the jump, they need to disable reflow, and vice versa. And if it is not re-enabled, the new users will not know that they could've had something better. So, there might be less headache to deal with if MobiSystems withstand this initial wave of complaints.
However, a carefully worded option item can work; setting its default value to the "new" behavior: no reflow/reduced jump [with a warning: "changing this may create focus jumping when you are zooming"] would reduce potential for the complaints from the users.

But for those people who know and who are used to the reflow functionality, it's a pity if it will be thrown away.  (And as I've written before, and as acknowledged by Kostya, this "jump issue" is not eliminated completely, just significantly reduced.)

Personally, I don't want to waste any more time on this issue, as I don't think any of my further comments would help the cause. (I am just still hoping Kostya and MobiSystems will make the right decision.)

@Kostya: I'd like to point out that I haven't seen many people celebrating in these forums or in the comments on Google Play (I just looked there), the improvement for the "jump issue". (And I very much doubt you've received many e-mails with the praise for that, have you?)
But there are complaints about the lack of reflow.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2017, 02:17:57 pm »
Re: font-size:14px; line-height:18px

That's the issue right here -- this hardcodes line height, so when we make an adjustment to font-size, the line-height stays the same -> overlap.

https://developer.android.com/reference/android/webkit/WebSettings.html#setTextZoom(int)

There is no function to adjust "line height".

Which just again goes to show:

- the best situation is when HTML messages are deliberately made to look nice on mobile devices.

- which is not difficult: the CSS Media Queries tech has been around for a while, and there are quite a few "mobile HTML frameworks" for both web pages and email messages.

https://www.google.ru/search?q=html+email+mobile+template

12,000,000 results.

First result is titled "Top 25 Free Responsive HTML Email Templates 2016" - *twenty five* on that page alone.

And I'l reiterate, this is not an AquaMail specific technology rather it's a universal, official, widespread web standard.

- when that's not the case, any attempt to do this on the client is "putting a square peg through a round hole" and may end up with unwanted artifacts.

Re: I haven't seen many people celebrating in these forums or in the comments on Google Play (I just looked there), the improvement for the "jump issue"

Why would there be? But there are no complaints (about "scroll jump") anymore, and no questions about "why am I unable to zoom in on an embedded image".

Besides, message view with auto-fit -- for the first time ever -- looks absolutely perfect:

- has same-sized margins on both sides
- the *whole* message is inside those margins
- and, a nice side effect, swiping from message to message can be done with one gesture not two ("swipe to scroll to the end of the message's width then swipe again to actually go to next message").
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

StR

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2017, 05:21:43 pm »
Re: font-size:14px; line-height:18px

That's the issue right here -- this hardcodes line height, so when we make an adjustment to font-size, the line-height stays the same -> overlap.

https://developer.android.com/reference/android/webkit/WebSettings.html#setTextZoom(int)

There is no function to adjust "line height".

Yes, I know that the hardcoded line height is the problem. But apparently some software used by too many people is generating that HTML for e-mail messages. Who will teach those "authors"?
But my point wasn't about that. What is important here is that pinch-to-zoom+reflow have been working mostly fine with that.

Re: I haven't seen many people celebrating in these forums or in the comments on Google Play (I just looked there), the improvement for the "jump issue"

Why would there be? But there are no complaints (about "scroll jump") anymore, and no questions about "why am I unable to zoom in on an embedded image".
That was my followup response to your comment about people not talking about importance of reflow before that was removed. ("Everything was just fine.")

- and, a nice side effect, swiping from message to message can be done with one gesture not two ("swipe to scroll to the end of the message's width then swipe again to actually go to next message").
As I've written before, while describing my impressions about this new version, that side effect is actually a problem. Since you are now forced to scroll horizontally (after zooming in), - it's overly easy to jump to the next message.
(A couple of times, being surprised that I am on a different message, I've even jumped to the 2nd next message, in which case the position in the e-mail I was reading was lost. But that's just an aside.)

Besides, message view with auto-fit -- for the first time ever -- looks absolutely perfect:
That's nice, but in this context, that's like a surgeon telling a patient after the surgery: "Sorry, we cut off the wrong leg, but the good news is: we figured out that we actually can cure the other leg..."   ::)

(And yes, removal of this feature feels as a removal of ... maybe not a limb, but a finger. And the argument that there are 9 more left is not a helpful consolation. It is still painful.)

The key point that you are carefully avoiding in all your responses is that those good things (improved "non-jumping" and reflow upon pinch-to-zoom) do not have to be completely mutually exclusive (despite the visible conflict between the two): in the previous post above, I clearly outlined how the "toggle-switch" option with the defaults to the new behavior could make everybody happy.

At this point, these arguments on your side indicate that you've already made your mind about the issue (hence the "confirmation bias"). So, there is no point for me to waste any more of time on this issue, - yours and mine.

For the record: Even though "the missing finger" hurts, Aqua Mail remains a great app, despite this reduced functionality. (And it still has plenty of great features to spare  8) ) And I still have utmost admiration and appreciation for the work that you've been doing both in development and support.

Davey126

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2017, 05:57:04 pm »

- has same-sized margins on both sides
- the *whole* message is inside those margins
Pretty clear you have strong passions around this issue given the manner in which it was publicly communicated (not) and ongoing defense of the indefensible. Yes, content creators bear some responsibility but the world is an imperfect place and imperfectly constructed emails will be part of the real-world landscape for the foreseeable future.

Auto-fit is not the nirvana it is purported to be as it regularly distorts embedded images from mainstream sources. I have it disabled on several devices and pinch-shrink ~5-10% of incoming items to eliminate overflow on run-of-the-mill 7" 320 PPI panels. Fortunately, the required reduction is rather small (perhaps 10%) so accompanying text reflow typically is not an issue in this context given normal email margins.

I do not take issue with the new default as the characteristics quoted above are clearly beneficial to mainstream users who value aesthetics over functional flexibility (which is the primary AquaMail differentiator IMHO). The workaround that was discussed during 351 development and recently republished by @nica softens the blow. Too bad it wasn't included in the change log.

Like @StR [re: "Personally, I don't want to waste any more time on this issue, as I don't think any of my further comments would help the cause. (I am just still hoping Kostya and MobiSystems will make the right decision.)] I grow tired of the dialog as the decision has clearly been made to substitute one imperfect solution with another imperfect solution based on personal preference while disregarding commonly accepted transparency practices. That's a headwind no one can counter.

Somebody

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2017, 03:34:10 am »
I came to this forum to express my impression from the recent update, but I see that several people have told that already.
Thank you, StR and Davey126 for formulating my concerns and new problems due to the lack of reflow.

Please, give us an option to enable reflow after zooming.
Thank you!

mikeone

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2017, 05:00:10 pm »
I guess, there is another complaint about the 'missing text reflow after zoom-in':

https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=5688.new#new

WhatIsGoingOn

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2017, 07:23:13 pm »
Add me to the list of people that want the text zoom back to the old way. I'm extremely disappointed that it wast taken out and not even mentioned in the Google Play new features area. On top of that I have found the comments from the original creator of this application to be quite condescending. I put up with the analytics being put in secretly (and then thankfully allowing us to turn it off) and the Material Design change, which took me a few weeks to get used to (and I'm OK with it now). But I am tired of this. It is still a great app and support has always been fantastic. But ever since MobiSystems took over it's been a complete and utter mess.

If the reflow option is not put back I will leave as I don't have the time or energy to keep reading this forum on what should be an application that I use constantly and just works. I don't want to check more options, I don't want to have to re-do my entire look and feel every time the app is updated. I beg you, please stop with all these changes. Or give us AquaMail Classic or something like that.

The text zoom/reflow is a big deal to me. I'm over 50 and the eyes ain't what they used to be sadly.

Thanks for listening at least,

Steve