Author Topic: POP mail deletion  (Read 3936 times)

richard.barnes.1

POP mail deletion
« on: April 27, 2017, 10:12:50 am »
I found (by accident), that when I checked my POP account on my phone, I deleted a message. I swiped it the right, thinking it would just delete from my phone.
However, the message must have been so new, that it deleted it from my server, hence when I checked my email at work (via Outlook) it never came through.
I thought you could only do this with an IMAP account, (which is what I do with my other Gmail account)
Anyone else had this? Is this normal?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

richard.barnes.1

Re: POP mail deletion
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 10:28:05 pm »
I found (by accident), that when I checked my POP account on my phone, I deleted a message. I swiped it the right, thinking it would just delete from my phone.
However, the message must have been so new, that it deleted it from my server, hence when I checked my email at work (via Outlook) it never came through.
I thought you could only do this with an IMAP account, (which is what I do with my other Gmail account)
Anyone else had this? Is this normal?

With AquaMail, POP:
when you permanently delete, or when you remove from DELETED (trash) folder a message, it is removed from server => POP will permanently remove messages from server in that case. This is working as expected.

But when you deleted a message (ie move it to Deleted folder), it is not removed from server, it simply stays in Deleted folder.
So is swiping right deleting the message from trash as well, like you mentioned in the first paragraph.
While tapping each message is just hiding them?
So if I receive a message at the server, and my work Outlook email downloaded the message. Then I see that message on phone and swipe right, that message is removed from the server. But being a POP account, the message would still be displayed in my Outlook emails, wouldn't it?

mikeone

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 11:04:04 pm »
You can choose different kinds of swipe actions for "deleting messages":

Settings -> Swiping -> scroll down and choose swipe actions which are convenient for your needs:

Move to deleted (to the trash folder) <- recommended
Delete permanently (on your device and on the server!)
Hide (keep on the server)

richard.barnes.1

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 06:08:30 am »
Attached is what I see. Can you explain difference between the 3 delete options

mikeone

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 07:41:53 am »
I tried to "explain" the difference between the three items in my previous post, but...

- Move to deleted
   (the message will be moved to the trash folder first NOT deleted permanently - wether on your device nor on the server)
- Delete permanently
   (the message will be deleted immediatlly - on your device AND also on the server!)
- Hide (keep on the server)
   (the message will be hidden on your device but kept on the server - you should be able to see the message on the web mail server and on your other devices/mail clients)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:14:52 am by mikeone »

richard.barnes.1

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 05:23:52 am »
I tried to "explain" the difference between the three items in my previous post, but...

- Move to deleted
   (the message will be moved to the trash folder first NOT deleted permanently - wether on your device nor on the server)
- Delete permanently
   (the message will be deleted immediatlly - on your device AND also on the server!)
   (the message will be hidden on your device but kept on the server - you should be able to see the message on the web mail server and on your other devices/mail clients)
Thanks mikeone for clarifying. Is there a way of limiting the number of hidden messages per account on my device then.? Say just the last 100 etc

mikeone

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 07:13:15 am »

- Move to deleted
- Delete permanently
Thanks mikeone for clarifying. Is there a way of limiting the number of hidden messages per account on my device then.? Say just the last 100 etc

I've never used pop3. Therefore I'm not aware how to limit the amount of 'hidden messages' on the device.

richard.barnes.1

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 06:05:13 am »
I use POP because my work TPG account is a POP account. I can only use IMAP if the account is, isn't that correct?