Author Topic: Gmail Unwanted Label  (Read 10048 times)

arf8

Gmail Unwanted Label
« on: March 30, 2017, 03:56:53 am »
Ever since I stared using AquaMail i have noticed an Unwanted Gmail label show up. No matter how many times I delete it, it comes back. Based on the search I've done it is related to the email client and has nothing to do with Google/Gmail creating this label on its own. I don't use any other email clients other than Gmail and Aqua and I know Gmail is not creating this label.

Is there an option to turn off this "Unwanted" label from being created?

Thanks

arf8

Re: Gmail Unwanted Label
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:54:55 am »
I don't use Outlook or exchange or the native Samsung email app, the link is not relevant to my problem but thanks.

I assume there is something specific to aquamail because prior to using AM I never had an unwanted label.

arf8

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 08:33:48 am »
Gmail forums say the same about gmail. I'm not sure myself what is causing this but everything I have read indicates to clients causing the label creation. Just what setting can possibly cause this is beyond me but it only started once I started using AM. It could very well be some unknown setting to me but nothing obvious stands out.

Hoping someone with more AM experience can chime in.

Thanks

mikeone

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 08:36:25 am »
AfAIK AquaMail does not create folders (Gmail labels) by its own.

However, I found this on the net:

https://support.google.com/mail/forum/AAAAK7un8RUi6stJoV87pA/?hl=en

Here's how you can delete an unwanted label in Gmail:

On a computer, open Gmail. You can't edit labels from the Gmail app.
    On the left side of the page, hover your cursor over your label's name.
    Click the Down arrow Down Arrow.
    Click Remove label.

If you have a filter defined to move all new mails to a particular label, the incoming mails will be moved to that particular label. Here's how you can delete if any filters are enabled:

Open Gmail.
    At the top right, click Settings Settings.
    Click Settings.
    Click Filters and Blocked Addresses.
    Find the filter you'd like to change.
    Click delete to remove the filter.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:38:38 am by mikeone »

arf8

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:39:41 am »
I don't have any filters, also know how to remove labels I've been removing the unwanted label ever since AM was installed. I also don't ever have any emails show up in Unwanted so not related to filters. Again nothing has changed except for the use of AM. Very strange and I'm sure it's some setting.

mikeone

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:35:11 am »
Since I'm pretty sure that AquaMail does not create folders on the server (Gmail or any other) by its own I suggest to digg a little deeper into this issue as follows:

1. Gmail doesn't have a system label called unwanted.

2. That fact that it is re-created after you remove it means that something you have connected to your account is creating it - "something" other than AquaMail -.

3. Do you access your account with another e-mail client on your PC (Outlook, Thunderbird, eM Client, Pocomail, etc), on your mobile devices - phone, tablet - (e.g. your manufacturer's stock mail client), notifier, or any other add-on/tool/web-site/etc?

4. You should be able to check this as follows:
->Log in into your Gmail account and check:
-> Settings (the 'wheel' on the top right corner) -> Settings -> Accounts and Import -> Change Account Settings -> Other Google account settings -> Sign-in & Security -> Connected apps & sites -> Apps connected to your account: Have you given account access to any other web-sites or utilities?

5. Is in one of these clients/apps/... anything enabled in Settings -> IMAP?

Maybe you will find the culprit down this path...

arf8

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 06:28:29 pm »
Again, if you read what I actually wrote, your suggestions are moot. 

This issues is directly related to using AM, nothing more, nothing less. Do yourself a favor and search the net, it has been pointed out on multiple threads on google forums and others all pointing to clients causing this issue. The fact you are unaware of a "unwanted" label tells me you are not familiar with this issue. Waiting for someone with experience to chime in.

1. Wrong, yes it does.

2. Directly related to AM.

3. Negative, only AM and Gmail (Read my previous response!)

4. Not necessary, I've already checked and know what accounts and what systems access my account.

5. Refer to response on question 3.

Thanks

arf8

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 06:37:56 pm »
I should add, I appreciate your suggestions and help but this likely needs to be brought up to developers to help pinpoint what setting i need to change in AM to prevent this from occuring

mikeone

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 06:45:55 pm »
Sorry for having wasted my time to give some help.

I had forgotten that you are the expert who knows everything.  8)

mikeone

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 06:46:45 pm »
I should add, I appreciate your suggestions and help but this likely needs to be brought up to developers to help pinpoint what setting i need to change in AM to prevent this from occuring
Okay.

nica

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 07:05:07 pm »
@mikeone Usually this label is created by the Samsung native mail app. But I don't know wether this user is willing to check this (inside the app and in Google access settings). Maybe he tried this app in the past just once.

I don't know, because, he decided to look for the reason only in AquaMail.

arf8

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 07:08:44 pm »
READ - I don't use the native samsung app and copying and pasting from the google forums is not solving the issue related to AM. I have already seen all those posts on the google forum an that is where I went first. Seems like the members on this forum are just concerned about getting their post count up rather than reading what is posted.

Again read my posts before posting more nonsense.

nica

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 07:21:43 pm »
Please write in a polite way to other users, thanks.

I have already seen all those posts on the google forum an that is where I went first.

Since you have already read "all those posts" on google forums about this issue: Could you please give us a link to a post of a user experiencing this issue, who is NOT using a Samsung device? Thank you.

In case you didn't see any and if you can't give us such a link, please think about a relation to this point.

arf8

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 07:26:39 pm »

nica

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 07:44:24 pm »
I don't see a relationship to AquaMail in there.

You could try:
- Backup AquaMail settings
- Uninstall AquaMail
- Delete label named "Unwanted" in web interface of Google.

See what happens.

(Again, please write in a polite manner)