Author Topic: Reducing Notifcations on Lockscreen.  (Read 12287 times)

Cimba

Reducing Notifcations on Lockscreen.
« on: March 12, 2017, 06:27:10 pm »
Hello,

when I habe received several Emails (like 10 Email fpr example) with IMAP on both devices (Computer and Smartphone), where the first Email is noticed witth Display on and Notification sound and the other mails only with turning on the display, so how I set it up and liked.

But now, when I click on my Computer such a unread Mail to read, the mail goes automatic from status unread to read und than, my smartphone Display goes on and display me 9 unread messages, whats in fact correct, but what I dont want! I only want, to signalining NEW messages und not the changing status from unread to read message from an email.

Is there an option to to this?

And also, it would be nice, if the notification banner shows noch only 22 messages, but also the subject from the newest mail, but thats another issue

Kostya Vasilyev

Re: Reducing Notifcations on Lockscreen.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 04:10:58 pm »
Well, you wouldn't want a notification to say "10 unread messages" if there are only 3 of them (let's say).
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

Cimba

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 03:45:09 pm »
No, sorry, I want 2 things:

when I have 10 unread mails and read one of them on my computer, I don't want, that the smartphone displays goes on and display me "9 unread mails". I want, that the display only turns on, when really a new mail is incomming, and not, when the "xx unread mails" count reduced.

The second thing is: I would found it better, wenn the banner on the lockscreen shows the last new incomming Mail Subject (like how it is on the first incomming mail) instead of "X unread Mails".

I hope, I have it now explained a little bit better, my english is nt the best ;)

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:22:10 pm »
I don't want, that the smartphone displays goes on and display me "9 unread mails

Ah, so do you also have "light up the screen" enabled in Aqua Mail -> notifications?

last new incomming Mail Subject (like how it is on the first incomming mail) instead of "X unread Mails"

When the number of emails is >= 2 and <= 5, there is a preview of subject / sender of each.

When >= 6, there are previews too, but only for the first 5 messages.

You may need to swipe on the notification (vertically, horizontally, zoom out, depends on Android version and make / model) to see those details.

Cimba

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 06:00:23 pm »
Sorry für the late response.

Ah, so do you also have "light up the screen" enabled in Aqua Mail -> notifications?
I can't found such an option in my Aquamail settings, the "display on on notifications" option can I found only in the system settings of the Smartphone (Honor 6x EMUI 4.1) and than its global for all notifications and all apps.

When the number of emails is >= 2 and <= 5, there is a preview of subject / sender of each.
Sorry, but not on my phone (watch screenshots) and I would it found great, when I could setup, that always the newest mail is shown like in screenshot 2

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 07:39:36 pm »
I can post screenshots too :)

That there is two unread messages. On the lock screen.

Not a Huawei, a Sony, but it's Android on them all, is it not?

And the second screenshot is for 8 unread messages, so the notification lists 5 (sender / subject pairs) and then has a "+3 more" below.

I had to pull the notification down before it would show those details.

Perhaps you should ask Huawei support how to enable this standard Android feature on their phones.

Cimba

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 06:41:48 pm »
OK, thanks for the screenshot, than is the second (not so important for me) problem an issue from Honors EMUI.

But my first (much annoying) problem seems somehow a logical thing/issue:

When I activate the options:
"Benachrichtigen über (Alle ungelesenen Nachrichten)"
+
"Nur bei neuer Nachricht (Nur benachrichtigen bei neuen Nachrichten)"

then the notification sound rings really only out, when a new mail is incomming. When I than read the mail on my computer (and the mail is marked as read and another unread mail exists), the Honor display goes on and shows one unread mail (ok, that is maybe a EMUI thing), but without notification sound.
When I delete the (marked as read) mail, than the display goes also again on and that I don't understand, because the number of unread mails don't change and I don't have marked the option "Nur be Änderungen")

And when I activate the option:
"Benachrichtigen über (Neue ungelesene Nachrichten)"

and than read a new mail on the computer (and this mail is marked as read and another unread mail exists), than the notification sound rings, and that I found wrong, because there is no NEW (Neue) unread mail.

What musst I do, when I am at work and want to read my mails on the computer and don't want, that AquaMail on my Honor permantly plays the notification sound, when I read or delete mails on the computer?
I don't have a problem, when Aqua Mails notifies me on incoming mails, but not by the other actions.

Thanks, Cimba

mikeone

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 07:14:15 pm »
Hi Cimba,
You should use the following options in
-> Settings (Einstellungen) -> Message notifications (Mailbenachrichtigungen) ->

tap on "Notify about" (Benachrichtigen über) -> choose "New unread messages" (Neue ungelesene Nachrichten)

Note::
If "New unread messages" is chosen then the two options, placed right below "Notify about", should be deactivated / greyed out.
["Only when new messages" (Nur bei neuer Nachricht) + "Only when there are changes" (Nur bei Änderungen)]

Please check also if there is an Account-specific setting or not (which would 'override' the app's general settings) :
-> long press on account name -> Special settings (Spezielle Kontoeinstellungen) -> Message notifications (Mailbenachrichtigungen)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:21:54 pm by mikeone »

Cimba

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 07:39:14 pm »
Thanks for your detailed explanation, but I tried this option (see my above posting) and that is my problem:

And when I activate the option:
"Benachrichtigen über (Neue ungelesene Nachrichten)"

and than read a new mail on the computer (and this mail is marked as read and another unread mail exists), than the notification sound rings, and that I found wrong, because there is no NEW (Neue) unread mail.

And I don't have Account-specific settings.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 01:08:53 pm »
The "folder has new messages" remains "set" until you've opened that folder in Aqua Mail.

Please either try "notify about *new* messages" (as suggested by @mikeone).

Enable "Ton nur einmal" (sound only once) so you won't get the sound on repeat (updated message count) notifications.

Cimba

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 04:26:59 pm »
Sorry, I'm back again ::)

Since I thought, I have a satisfying solution with the notifications found (*1) (and the app of course bought, because it's really a good app) and now I have a new problem:

If I do nothing with the newly arrived mails (neither on the phone nor on the PC), the display of the mobile lights approximately after 10-30 min with displaying the Aquamail notification, as if it happened, when I change the status of the inbox on PC.

When I go into Aquamail, the last retrieval time of both accounts has the actual time, so the app has check the mailbox, but why do the app this, when there was no changes?

I have disabled the interval check, it is really only push idle active.

Am I right in my suggestion, that this is due to the methods of the app to keep Aquamail alive and not to be shot out by Android?

And the final questions of that: can I influence this behavior somehow with a setting, or can you only solve the programmatically?

I hope your patience is enough for this further question, thanks a lot :)

(*1) If anyone is still interested: I took the variant with "Benachrichtigen über (Alle ungelesenen Nachrichten)" +
"Nur bei neuer Nachricht (Nur benachrichtigen bei neuen Nachrichten)" and accept, that the display lits, when I read the mails on the PC. The "sound only once" thing is sadly not so workable for my situations.

BTW: I come from Windows Phone and this build in eimail app makes exact this, what I here explained, so it is not only a special wish from a single person like me, it's only MS style :)

StR

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 04:59:58 pm »
I have disabled the interval check, it is really only push idle active.

First of all, even when you have Push enabled, you still want to have periodic check enabled and set to 15 or 30 minutes. This will help assuring that no messages are left unnoticed in case something happens to Push in the mean time (due to the connectivity, server or whatever). That's what the developer recommends.

If I do nothing with the newly arrived mails (neither on the phone nor on the PC), the display of the mobile lights approximately after 10-30 min with displaying the Aquamail notification, as if it happened, when I change the status of the inbox on PC.
If I understand you correctly, - your problem is that the led is turning on as a notification for the messages, while you don't have any new messages, right?

If I understand the following correctly (sorry, I don't speak German), you chose the first option that is "Notify about all unread messages".
(*1) If anyone is still interested: I took the variant with "Benachrichtigen über (Alle ungelesenen Nachrichten)" +
"Nur bei neuer Nachricht (Nur benachrichtigen bei neuen Nachrichten)" and accept, that the display lits, when I read the mails on the PC.
That setting is the culprit for the behavior you are describing.
You set to be notified for all unread messages (not just the new ones). So, every time the program "resyncs", it notifies you that you have unread message(s).   So, everything works as you've set. (And yes, Push "refreshes" its connection on a periodic basis. So, I suspect that's what triggers your notifications.)

If you don't want to get repeated notifications, - choose the second option (as had been suggested above by mikeone and Kostya):

-> Settings (Einstellungen) -> Message notifications (Mailbenachrichtigungen) ->

tap on "Notify about" (Benachrichtigen über) -> choose "New unread messages" (Neue ungelesene Nachrichten)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:01:36 pm by StR »

Cimba

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 06:00:23 pm »
First of all, even when you have Push enabled, you still want to have periodic check enabled and set to 15 or 30 minutes. This will help assuring that no messages are left unnoticed in case something happens to Push in the mean time (due to the connectivity, server or whatever). That's what the developer recommends.
OK, thats interesting and logical, that makes sense.

If I understand you correctly, - your problem is that the led is turning on as a notification for the messages, while you don't have any new messages, right?
No, not the LED is the problem, that is ok, that it blinks so long, until I make something with the phone, the problem is the whole IPS-Display/Screen from the phone, thats lights up and show me the lock-screen with the Aquamail notification.

So, every time the program "resyncs", it notifies you that you have unread message(s).   So, everything works as you've set. (And yes, Push "refreshes" its connection on a periodic basis. So, I suspect that's what triggers your notifications.)
OK, I understand this now, that's the Push refresh is here the reason, but for me, it's a glitch, that a simple resync triggers a refresh of the lock-screen notification. On a PC with Thunderbird, there was never such an extra notification. Also other mail apps with periodical mail checks makes not such repeat notifications and even my Windows Phone (with Imap-Idle) has never made such a repeated notification.

I can not see a sense in this behaviour. In my eyes, Aquamail should save the "new mail" count befor a resync and when after resync the count is the same, than don't refresh the notification.

As i wrote, this makes my problem badly much more worse, because when I read in this suggested setting a unread mail on the PC, the phone display goes on AND the phones notification sound rings and that for every single unread mail, that I read on the PC.

And the "sound only once" option, which can possible solve this special behaviour is also a big problem for me in other cases, when I am away from the PC, because in noisy enviroments, I hear possibly the notification for the first new mail not and until then, I become no further sound notifications from other new mails, that is a problem for me.

Please do not missunderstand me, Aquamail is really good and I hope, my broken english does not lead to think, I will only grumble or await a super-duper special feature (as I wrote, it's a normal Windows Phone behaviour), but I am wondering, that no one else seems to have this problem (Phone&PC work with email reading).

But I think, Aquamail has here either a problem (maybe in correlation with my Honor), or a missing option variant in the notification options.

But thanks again for your suggestions and patience.

StR

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 06:40:04 pm »
So, every time the program "resyncs", it notifies you that you have unread message(s).   So, everything works as you've set. (And yes, Push "refreshes" its connection on a periodic basis. So, I suspect that's what triggers your notifications.)
OK, I understand this now, that's the Push refresh is here the reason, but for me, it's a glitch, that a simple resync triggers a refresh of the lock-screen notification. On a PC with Thunderbird, there was never such an extra notification. Also other mail apps with periodical mail checks makes not such repeat notifications and even my Windows Phone (with Imap-Idle) has never made such a repeated notification.

I can not see a sense in this behaviour. In my eyes, Aquamail should save the "new mail" count befor a resync and when after resync the count is the same, than don't refresh the notification.

I don't believe you set to be notified about unread messages on your PC with Thunderbird. Thunderbird notifies only about new messages. So, you would not know if and when it resets its IDLE connection. (I don't know the details of its implementation in Thunderbird either.)
I don't know how your Windows Phone mail app was set (I've never seen it), but as far as I can tell, the "Mail" app I've seen briefly in Win-10 doesn't really have options to notify about unread messages, only about new ones. But maybe I 've missed something there...
My point here, is that you may not have ability to observe in other programs the behavior that you are not happy with in Aquamail, because you've chosen such options in Aquamail (and they are available in AM, while they are probably not in other mail clients).

It is similar to "Consumer Reports" reducing the grades of some higher model cars for failures of electric door and windows controls compared to those cars that had only manual controls (back in 1990s in the US).

As i wrote, this makes my problem badly much more worse, because when I read in this suggested setting a unread mail on the PC, the phone display goes on AND the phones notification sound rings and that for every single unread mail, that I read on the PC.

I suspect that you are mistaking something (or I am misunderstanding something in your description of what's happening.) If you set "Notify about" -> "New unread messages" as described by mikeone, reading a message on PC should not issue any additional notification on your phone. (By "additional" here, I mean compared to the situation when you didn't read anything on your PC.)

But I think, Aquamail has here either a problem (maybe in correlation with my Honor), or a missing option variant in the notification options.
While your requirements and needs could be different from mine or everybody else's, at this point, I am still suspecting that you do not have AM configured correctly for the behavior you are looking for.

So, may I suggest the following:
1. With your current settings, when you get new messages and notifications appear on your phone, - read one of those messages on your PC.  Verify that you are not getting any new notifications (your screen doesn't lit up, no sound is produced) on your phone.
2. Set that setting above, as suggested by Mikeone, and then repeat the same test as in 1.
If you observe new notifications while reading previously unread messages on your PC (and you haven't received any new messages during that period!), please post screenshot(s) of your Notifications screen.
At that point, the screenshots will allow us to check what might be the culprit.

Cimba

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 07:56:51 pm »
OK, now it's clear, what you mean, there is a difference between unread and new (but I found it anyway useless, the notification of unread mails at a resync to renew).

But anyway, now the setup from mikeone on my AM:
- Screenshot_2017-03-22-17-12-27.jpg

All notifications are away and all mails are set as read.

1.) Now I receive a mail "Test1" = phones screen turns on & sound (as expected)
- Screenshot_2017-03-22-17-05-40.jpg

2.) Receiving another mail "Test2" = phones screen turns on & sound (as expected)
- Screenshot_2017-03-22-17-06-10.jpg

So I have now 2 unread/new mails in Thunderbird
- Zwischenablage01.jpg

3.) Clicking now on PC in Thunderbird the mail "Test1", after a short time (when the mail in TB is marked read):
- Zwischenablage02.jpg

the phones screen turns on & sound (as now UNexpected & unwanted)
- Screenshot_2017-03-22-17-07-10

When clicking the (last unread/new) mail "Test2", phone keeps silent & screen off (as expected).

The changing background images are a Honor EMUI thing ("Magazin").

When I have 3 or more such unread/new mails in TB, then phones display turns on & sound on every mail until the last unread/new one.