Author Topic: New design sneak-peak: Add an Account screen  (Read 7605 times)

New design sneak-peak: Add an Account screen
« on: February 28, 2017, 05:06:11 pm »
Hi guys,

As I said, we'd like to try and keep the community in the loop, and gather (and potentially address) feedback on things even before they are in development. Don't know how often we'll do this, but here we go!

Here's an interactive prototype for a screen that would replace the current Add an account dialog. This isn't something that would immediately affect most of you, but it would be among the first things that new users would see, so we wanted to make it cool and sleek.

The prototype is best viewed on a either a desktop computer with Chrome, Safari or Opera, or on a 1920x1080 phone using the Framer browser app.

This only demonstrates a single interaction - choosing an account type.

Let me know what you think!
Thanks,
L.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:35:09 pm by lpetkov | Mobisystems | Designer »

someone

Re: New design sneak-peak: Add an Account screen
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 05:28:50 pm »
Cute.

jmccabe

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 08:48:30 pm »
That looks quite nice to me; like the tiles in notifications etc.

One comment though; for users just coming to the app, I'm not sure that the "Stronger security (OAUTH2)" (in the Gmail and Outlook options) is very meaningful if they don't know what the security is stronger than.

HTH
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 04:19:09 pm by jmccabe »

nica

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 09:36:53 pm »
Hi, the button called  "Internet Mail" sounds strange, even for beginners.

What about "Other" instead?

StR

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:35:17 pm »
Hi, the button called  "Internet Mail" sounds strange, even for beginners.

What about "Other" instead?

I had the same concern. But I am not sure what would be better.
Moreover, I am a bit bothered by the fact that this 4 items are not exactly "parallel" structure.
So, you have two that are specific to providers (both using OAuth2), and then two that are EWS and IMAP/POP.

I get the same uncomfortable impression as when I see at a store several type of salami: "beef salami", "pork salami", "Estonian salami".

I understand that many users have no idea what "IMAP, POP, EWS" mean. But it still irritates my sense of logic.
In the highly-technical world, I'd have it as

Oauth2
            GMail
            Outlook
   Exchange
   IMAP and POP.

But I understand, that for many non-technical users this would be confusing.

And I understand that the classification in this case is partially based on the "use cases".
(But only partially, because there are other specific providers are also configured under "Internet Mail".

So, please consider something like this:

Gmail (OAuth2)
  Outlook.com (OAuth2)
  Exchange Mail (EWS)
  Other Mail (IMAP, POP)

That's considering just the visual design.

Now, I'd like to propose a deeper makeover of this screen.
What if someone else, say Verizon-Yahoo, Yandex, ... will come up with a well-implemented and documented OAuth2 implementation. Are you going to keep growing the list of entries on this screen?

To resolve that elegantly, I suggest one of the following to ways:
   OAuth2 (GMail, Outlook, something-else)
   Exchange Mail (EWS)
   Other Mail (IMAP, POP3)

The alternative (totally use-case-based!)  would be to list all the preconfigured providers, and then have
"Other", with a fork to Exchange Mail and IMAP/POP. I.e.
   Gmail
   Outlook.com
   Yahoo.com
   Yandex.ru
   Orange
   (long list)
   Other

Where after choosing "Other", the user gets a choice:   "Exchange Mail" or "IMAP/POP".

I think #2 would be ugly (right now all the magic is happening inside), so, I'd vote for #1 of these two.
Actually, with that in mind, I'd even suggest a more radical solution: hide OAuth2 behind one of the categories. Make it totally magical for (most) users.

Top level:
Exchange Mail (EWS)
Internet Mail (IMAP/POP) 

If "Internet Mail" is chosen, and the user enters his/her address as @gmail.com  or @outlook.com, - provide an option (as a check-mark on the same 1st screen, or as an additional choice screen): OAuth2 or standard IMAP/POP.

I understand that this suggestion is beyond just visual design and includes functional/logical design, - so, it is for consideration of both @Kostya and @lpetkov.

PS. @lpetkov: welcome to the forum, L.! And thank you for listening to Aquamail users.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:38:14 pm by StR »

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 11:02:55 pm »
Yeah, we're also having discussions on labeling and the explanatory help texts and how to improve them. Thanks for letting us know what you think!

Glad you guys dig the actual interaction so far!

(Thanks, @StR!)

someone

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 12:46:53 am »
Add an X to easily delete the contents of the bcc.

mikeone

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 09:24:02 am »
Add an X to easily delete the contents of the bcc.
@someone:
The design team is already aware about the need for a modification of the fields "CC / BCC, Reply-To". Kostya's reply / feedback you will find in one of his recent posts:

https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=5408.msg32730#msg32730

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 03:51:20 pm »
Actually a bigger concern of mine, for the "really novice users" is that the help text is not visible until the user taps an "account type button" -- which he/she may not know to do until they're "really sure" about what the right choice is.

And if they don't see the help text, they may get to that "really sure".

That the "Next" button is hidden until one particular type is selected - may add to the confusion, because the user may think that just tapping one of those buttons will immediately proceed to "next stage", and what if they make the wrong choice?

To summarize:

- Initial UI: account type buttons, no help text, no "next" button

- The user does not know _yet_ that 1) tapping a button will show help text with more info that would help him/her choose or 2) that it will not immediately proceed to "next stage"

- Impression 1: "which one do I select now, no idea, wish they'd have some explanation or something"

- Impression 2: "and what if I tap the wrong one, it'll just go off and do something bad"

One idea to resolve it would be to *not* hide the "Next" button, but rather make it visible and disabled initially.

This way the user will know that the selection process is two step and won't be afraid to tap one of those buttons. And then when he/she does, there will be help text to help with choosing.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 04:20:41 pm »
I'll prepare another version of the prototype without the auto-hiding button

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 04:03:31 pm »
Hi all,

I rewrote and updated the prototype:https://framer.cloud/Utemm

Much smoother animations + a button that's always there, but switches active/inactive states.
We're still discussing the labels and the help texts, so that hasn't been addressed yet in this iteration.

Thanks,
L

StR

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 05:54:06 pm »
Just a quick observation:
You have lots of empty space at the bottom of the "help" text for all 4 items.
It looks strange: asymmetric (top vs. bottom text margins for that text box), and just large without any apparent need (especially when you have only 2 or 3 lines of text as in # 1,2,4).

Is it to accommodate the "largest" (+2) font being used in the app?
If yes, - that's great that you've thought about and tested (?) for that.
But even with that, since the standard system libraries will most likely be used for this implementation, I hope there is a technically elegant way to accommodate different font sizes without unnecessarily buffing up the margin.

HTH.

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 06:19:20 pm »
I believe these text strings will only use a single font size.
What I'm taking into consideration here is that we'll be translating the strings into a few languages, which means that the number of characters is a variable.

When we test this layout in development, we'll adjust the height of the cards accordingly :-)

StR

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 06:42:22 pm »
Aah... That's wise!

Please, excuse my question/comment, as I've never worked with any Android libraries:
Maybe naively, I'd expect that in 2010-s, Android libraries should allow "dynamically-sized" text boxes ("cards"?) that accommodate the text provided, -- to avoid hard-coding the size of them.  In that case, only the margins around the text need to be specified, not the size of the box.

This is typically done in good HTML design and in presentation/publication design tools (PowerPoint, InDesign, ...), so, I'd be surprised it is not available in Android. (But my intuition and logic have been proven wrong in Android a few times.)

mgagnonlv

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 09:25:12 pm »
In general, I like the new suggested design. Two questions come to my mind:

1. Order
I would recommend keeping the order as it was, i.e. with Internet Mail before Mail exchange.

2. Explanations
The current, less nice, setup has a description under each button. The description lists what fits into each category, so that if a user knows that their ISP has POP or IMAP' they know they need to click on "Internet Mail". Likewise, if they know their corporate email uses Kerio rather than Microsoft Exchange, they know they need to click on "Internet Mail" (whereas the Gmail application on a Nexus phone required connection via the Exchange protocol).

Where will be those explanations?
If they are at the top of each page (ex.: once a user clicks on "Internet Mail", he or she sees the description), then it's not too bad, even though it still means the user might make a wrong selection and have to go back, try a second selection, etc.
If there are no explanation, then users will try their luck with one of the option and will have to try a few options before knowing which one works. They will either complain and look for support on the forum, or complain elsewhere and walk with their feet. If that's the first account they try on the free version, they are likely to uninstall ASAP. If that's their 2nd, 3rd... account they install after switching to the Pro version, then you'll see the negative publicity on Google Play.