Author Topic: I'm the Aqua Mail designer - just wanted to introduce myself  (Read 30561 times)

tommyt

Re: I'm the Aqua Mail designer - just wanted to introduce myself
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2017, 12:09:57 am »
To join in the opinion sharing, I'd like to see the message times (in the Message List) move back to being to the left of the star (next to) instead of beneath it, or at least make it selectable. It would appear to me that with the change since v1.8 that the space next to the star is empty, while having the time below the star crowds things up a bit in the info on lines 2 and 3.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2017, 02:13:08 am »
Re: Would you please consider adding an option to change it, which should hopefully be quite simple?

If it were simple, I would have done it years ago.

Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

someone

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2017, 01:13:38 pm »
This may be too difficult to implement but if it could it would be very helpful.

One of the major strengths of Aquamail is its extreme customizability. Excellent! But it can also be one of its most confusing elements. This has been greatly improved but it is still at times difficult to find "where" a setting is to be found and sometimes "what" a setting actually does.

As I said, this has become easier (or I have become more used to the app settings) but it makes me wonder if it would be possible to expand a feature already implemented in a few AM settings: visually "seeing" in a panel within the settings screen an example of how that setting (slim padding, etc) changes things. Where such an immediate example display exists, it is very helpful. At least to me.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2017, 01:31:29 pm »
For the "where" Aqua Mail's settings screen has search since December.

There already is a preview in message list settings since, well, forever, and it does shows the effect of "slim padding" and all the other ones.

There is a preview of swipe settings, and conversation settings.

Now maybe you meant "slim padding" in message view - the effects are quite small, and it's a new setting so we haven't had a chance to think about a preview for that.

jmccabe

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2017, 01:35:47 pm »
Re: Would you please consider adding an option to change it, which should hopefully be quite simple?

If it were simple, I would have done it years ago.

On my phone, which is still running 1.7x, when the floating bar slides into view (equivalent to the top bar that appears in 1.8 on my tablet), it's the same colour as my day/date separators in the message view. In other words, before 1.8 there was no need (well, in my opinion, of course) for a customisation option on that. It's only recent changes that have made me feel a need for this.

Hope that makes sense.

John

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2017, 09:19:27 pm »
On my phone, which is still running 1.7x, when the floating bar slides into view (equivalent to the top bar that appears in 1.8 on my tablet), it's the same colour as my day/date separators in the message view

I see what you're saying, but we picked the color of the "action bar" so it matches other colors in the app's built-in theme(s) -- we couldn't possibly have picked it to match custom color settings used by any particular user, or by every one of them :)

The divider color settings is mostly for people who feel that the dividers are too thin (even with thin fonts off) -- in which case they can make them black, for example, which is "stronger" and "feels" thicker even though it's not.

jmccabe

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2017, 02:28:20 am »
With all due respect Kostya, if you're going to give users the amount of freedom you do to choose their preferred colours, it really doesn't make any sense to restrict some colours under the "built-in themes" argument. It's fine for you to choose how your built-in themes should look and, I guess, quite a lot of people would be happy to use them.

However, first of all, the 'Light' theme we're discussing here has changed recently and that change was forced onto users. Some of us (me in particular) are extremely disappointed about the fact that we had to go through the customisation options the app provides to try to get it back to a set of colours that appeal to us, and that (probably) helped to contribute to us paying for your app (possibly more than once in some cases).

Secondly, you might be able to argue the technicalities of the action bar colour selection being difficult to implement as a customisation (and, as a software engineer with 30 years experience, I would really appreciate hearing that argument) but, to me, it just doesn't feel right that you should offer so many colour customisation options, but not that one.

John

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2017, 12:01:53 pm »
@jmccabe
I'm not quite clear on what you're referring to. Could you provide a screenshot, please? Thanks.

jmccabe

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2017, 12:57:43 pm »
I'll try, but chances are it won't be until tomorrow or maybe Saturday. I don't have that version on my phone because (as I've mentioned many times) I really don't like that colour. It's on my tablet and that's at home now. It's quite simple, though, so I can describe it.

The tablet set up with a two-panel UI with the "Light" theme selected and the "Title bar and icon bar colour" (or whatever it is in the most recent version; you might've changed its name) set to something around 0xFFCBD5E2. Date separators are on, and the colour of those is set to something similar but a bit darker than the title and icon bar colour.

When I open Aqua Mail it's set to go to the Smart Folder so I can see the account list on the left panel and the messages in the smart folder on the right-hand panel.

Now, if I select one or more of the messages in that view (i.e. such that the contact image changes to a tick, NOT so that the content of the message is displayed), the title bar changes to show a different set of icons. On my phone (with a single-panel UI and an older version of Aqua Mail) the floating action bar or whatever it's called appears on the right of the screen and, as far as I remember, the change to the title bar in the new version is equivalent to that, i.e. it shows the number of messages selected, the trash can icon, the mark as unread icon etc. It's the colour of that bar that I don't like and can't find a way to customise.

HTH, and I'll try to get a screenshot (I've searched on the net but nearly all of the screenshots of the two panel UI, with the message list displayed and messages selected are from the old version!

ang

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2017, 07:08:57 pm »
I have been using Aquamail for some time but it now won't connect to my ISP outgoing server (TalkTalk). I have tried everything even deleted my account and tried to set up again. Nothing works, nothing wrong at server, webmail working

mikeone

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2017, 12:12:58 pm »
I have been using Aquamail for some time but it now won't connect to my ISP outgoing server (TalkTalk). I have tried everything even deleted my account and tried to set up again. Nothing works, nothing wrong at server, webmail working
I recommend to open a separate thread in this section to get some help for your issue - as long as it still exists:

https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?action=post;board=1.0
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:41:15 pm by mikeone »

H2Om

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2017, 12:02:59 pm »
.... make its look more appealing/familiar to new users, etc
With all due respect, you appear to have done that at the expense of existing users, many of whom have clearly been pretty pissed off with your work.

Some users will always resist any change. As an example, any time Facebook introduces a design change, millions of people go crazy, then a couple of weeks later no one can't even remember what the older design looked like.

Having said that, however, I realize I need to be more careful and find a better balance between what old-time users want and like, what new users want and like, what my boss wants, etc.  This is why I'm here, and I'll try to be as active as I can, ask the community about future changes, listen to feedback, etc.

Thanks for you comment!

I really, really hope you keep the focus on lightweight and speed.
I'm neutral about the changes you made. They are different, not better, not worse.
Ideal would be modular skin design.

That's best explained by comparing to Windows. It has a certain look but many alternative themes and skins are available.
All those 100's of theme's aren't installed, for the majority of users not even one will ever be installed and taking up resources.

What's I'm suggesting is that AM is nothing more than a command line utility with a GUI frontend.
The users can install the frontend they like. Some go for material, some for classic. Others for Theme-X, etc.
MobiSystems could even offer/sell themes separately.

That way everyone has the design he/she likes.
And that could be different designs depending on the device.
The ideal design on a 4" phone very likely isn't the ideal design on a 10" tablet for many users.

My experience is that programs that allow to be skinned often have a lively community because people really love to tweak the looks of their programs.
And that may boost MobiSystems sales.
I'm quite sure many don't buy AM because it looks boring. Others like 'boring' very much; and like me would abandon AM if it gets 'flashy'.
I'm a dinosaur stuck in time I think, because I still think the Windows 2000 look is the best look Windows ever had.  Yeah, I'm that old!  ;)
But many find it extremely ugly and demand a heavy SF theme that makes me dizzy  ::)

Galactic Fork

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2017, 10:00:36 am »
I was told to put a UI suggestion I had in this thread, so I shall.  Actually I really dig the design for the most part.  I do have 2 minor issues.  One new, and one old.

1)  The date is aligned to the second line, I think it'd be better to have it match the "sender" as that is usually shorter than the Subject, it's less likely to cut it off.  And then the attachment icon can be returned to the subject line.  This way the paperclip won't enlarge the border between the above mail when slim padding is on.

2)  Now that the contact images are centered to the second line (whether subject or sender), it looks much more symmetrical when you have a 1 preview line setup, and preview indenting on.  This is great, but it also means there is now blank space above and below image, instead of just below.  It'd be great to have the option to enlarge some of that space.
The attached mock up is using the old design, but the size in relation to the message entry would be the same.

OK, now for a suggestion of a new feature.  The ability to make the read and unread backgrounds of messages in the message list customizable by account type.  So one account could have 2 shades of blue for the backgrounds of unread and read messages and another can be shades of green.  There is a color selection option in the account settings that adds a little colored strip in the smart folder, but this would be more elaborate.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:04:06 am by Galactic Fork »

Galactic Fork

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2017, 12:39:13 pm »
1)  The date is aligned to the second line, I think it'd be better to have it match the "sender" as that is usually shorter than the Subject, it's less likely to cut it off.  And then the attachment icon can be returned to the subject line.  This way the paperclip won't enlarge the border between the above mail when slim padding is on.

You mock screen of date and clip is not precise (displayed date and clip are those of older version, which is gone and will not get back). What do you think about my suggestions, made for the new design version (see links)? We'll have more chance to be heard if we all push in the same direction at the same time

https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=5317.msg31797#msg31797
https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=5317.msg31338#msg31338

In the short term, I suggest that you hide the stars, which will improve the message display, since the date will move to the first line. You'll always be able to star/unstar using swiping actions.

My mock up was only for the my suggestion about the contact image, as I said, it was for the old version.  I didn't intend for it to be in reference for 1.  I just wanted the date aligned with the sender, or set on the top line.  So I guess we're on the same page there.  But I don't have stars on now, and the date is still is on the second line. 

2)  Now that the contact images are centered to the second line (whether subject or sender), it looks much more symmetrical when you have a 1 preview line setup, and preview indenting on.  This is great, but it also means there is now blank space above and below image, instead of just below.  It'd be great to have the option to enlarge some of that space.
The attached mock up is using the old design, but the size in relation to the message entry would be the same.

You're not using conversation view, are you? With you suggestion, there will be no place to display the conversation counter, unless you propose a mock screen with that counter in a suitable place. Also, consider that a majority of users have not changed the option (selecting by default) of displaying round contact images.

You are correct, I do not have conversations on.  However, looking at it, I don't see why it's an issue.  There are many ways it can be handled.
1)  Just have the counter push the image to the right.  (most likely option)
2)  Have the counter just extend over the contact image.  (this is my favorite option)
3)  Have the contact counter shrink the contact image to make room.
4)  And it's optional, so they can turn it off if they don't like whichever one of the above is chosen.

As for the square contact images vs round.  The image was just to give scale in relation to the lines, so I just used an image from when I made this suggestion for the old version.  I wasn't trying to show how it would look for everybody, I'm sorry. 

When I get back to my home pc, I will be able to make a more up to date mock up.

jmccabe

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2017, 01:14:15 pm »
I'll try, but chances are it won't be until tomorrow or maybe Saturday. I don't have that version on my phone because (as I've mentioned many times) I really don't like that colour. It's on my tablet and that's at home now. It's quite simple, though, so I can describe it.

The tablet set up with a two-panel UI with the "Light" theme selected and the "Title bar and icon bar colour" (or whatever it is in the most recent version; you might've changed its name) set to something around 0xFFCBD5E2. Date separators are on, and the colour of those is set to something similar but a bit darker than the title and icon bar colour.

When I open Aqua Mail it's set to go to the Smart Folder so I can see the account list on the left panel and the messages in the smart folder on the right-hand panel.

Now, if I select one or more of the messages in that view (i.e. such that the contact image changes to a tick, NOT so that the content of the message is displayed), the title bar changes to show a different set of icons. On my phone (with a single-panel UI and an older version of Aqua Mail) the floating action bar or whatever it's called appears on the right of the screen and, as far as I remember, the change to the title bar in the new version is equivalent to that, i.e. it shows the number of messages selected, the trash can icon, the mark as unread icon etc. It's the colour of that bar that I don't like and can't find a way to customise.

HTH, and I'll try to get a screenshot (I've searched on the net but nearly all of the screenshots of the two panel UI, with the message list displayed and messages selected are from the old version!

Sorry not to have been in touch sooner about this; I haven't managed to upload a screenshot yet as I haven't had time to go through it and obfuscate the content, but do you still need one or have you been able to recognise the control I'm referring to here?