Author Topic: Can I move the message view bottom navigation bar back to the top  (Read 6080 times)

annieb

Please can someone tell me how I can remove the bottom bar in the message view and have the icons back at the top like before. I use the Light Theme rather than Material Design and this was still a feature until the latest update. It uses too much screen real estate and is all too easy to click on the Hide icon, etc. by mistake. Seems silly to have all that blank space at the top beside the account name which could be put to good use.

annieb

Re: Can I move the message view bottom navigation bar back to the top
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 02:42:55 am »
I just checked my tablet which hasn't upgraded and you are right. There was a menu bar at the bottom. It had different icons but I think, because there isn't a dark line at the top of the menu bar to separate it from the list of emails, it looks a bit odd. I've set my main colour to a light grey similar to before but it seems to lack definition. I don't want to use a dark colour as I find it more distracting but would like to see a dividing line when an upgrade is due.

annieb

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 01:43:39 pm »
Here are the screenshots from my phone which is on the updated version and my tablet which is a few versions old. It's a design issue really but I like the line above the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen so that the grey colour doesn't just merge into the email's text. It's less of a contrast on the actual screen than in the screenshot.

I know not everyone will choose a light colour but I stayed with the original Light theme and have tried to adapt the latest version to look as close to it as I can. However, I cannot add back the separater line above the bottom navigation bar. I was wondering if this could be an option in the next update.

mikeone

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 02:42:20 pm »
I just checked my tablet which hasn't upgraded and you are right. There was a menu bar at the bottom. It had different icons but I think, because there isn't a dark line at the top of the menu bar to separate it from the list of emails, it looks a bit odd. I've set my main colour to a light grey similar to before but it seems to lack definition. I don't want to use a dark colour as I find it more distracting but would like to see a dividing line when an upgrade is due.
+1
I second your suggestion to add a (light gray?) separation line at the top of the bottom bar.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 03:34:15 pm »
Re: I just checked my tablet which hasn't upgraded and you are right. There was a menu bar at the bottom.

Please see the FAQ: http://www.aqua-mail.com/?page_id=227

Under: Android 5 and icons along the top

Re: I second your suggestion to add a (light gray?) separation line at the top of the bottom bar

The designers are going to look at message view soon, I'll pass this on.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

annieb

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 04:03:25 pm »

Re: I second your suggestion to add a (light gray?) separation line at the top of the bottom bar

The designers are going to look at message view soon, I'll pass this on.

Many thanks.

annieb

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 04:40:27 pm »
Perhaps the line could be optional.

mikeone

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 04:49:13 pm »
I'm totally against this line (gray or whatever it is). I use solid colors which are perfect without a gray line or something else.
@Paris Geek
I understand your concerns about this separation line, since I guess you already have disabled the option "Dividers" in Settings -> Message list -> "Customize".
-> screenshot

Users which are want or like these "Dividers" in Message list most likely prefer this line also above the bottom bar in message view.

That said, it might be a good idea to connect this setting for both "Dividers between messages" and "Separation line above the bottom bar" (in message view)... just loud thinking.

annieb

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 05:22:44 pm »
Oh dear. I don't want to start a riot. For those who stayed with the light theme, this has only just changed. Those using material design may well be happy but surely users who prefer the light theme can be accommodated too.

mikeone

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 05:28:22 pm »
I'm totally against this line (gray or whatever it is). I use solid colors which are perfect without a gray line or something else.
@Paris Geek
I understand your concerns about this separation line, since I guess you already have disabled the option "Dividers" in Settings -> Message list -> "Customize".
-> screenshot

Users who want or like these "Dividers" in Message list most likely prefer this line also above the bottom bar in message view.

That said, it might be a good idea to connect this setting for both "Dividers between messages" and "Separation line above the bottom bar" (in message view)... just loud thinking.
My suggestion was to link the setting "Dividers" (between messages) in message list with a "Separation line" in message view:

Enabling "Dividers" in message list than will show also a "Separation line" in message view.

The reason for this I had already described in my previous post. 'blue' marked

But it's just an idea...

mikeone

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 05:32:47 pm »
Oh dear. I don't want to start a riot. For those who stayed with the light theme, this has only just changed. Those using material design may well be happy but surely users who prefer the light theme can be accommodated too.
8) No problem, annieb:
It's just a normal discussion / exchange of thoughts between my dear friend @Paris Geek and myself.
No danger of a riot  :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:34:34 pm by mikeone »

annieb

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 01:18:39 am »
That's good. Glad we can all be friends.  ;)