Author Topic: Link Color  (Read 11635 times)

Re: Link Color
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 05:28:38 pm »
Well, that's the trouble with choosing colors - this sort of thing can be very subjective.

First, the reason we are going with the Cyan/Teal combo is the name of the product - Aqua Mail. I'd like to visually connect the brand name with the product UI colors. Here's what an "Aqua" design moodboard looks like.

Here are both a darker cyan blue and darker teal next to each other, if you want to further express an opinion. From a Material Guidelines perspective, we should probably use the Accent color, but since people are used to blue for hyperlinks, there's a good argument for keeping the Cyan.

jmccabe

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 06:51:38 pm »
When you write directly to me "Stop trying to ..." - put "please" somewhere, in the beginning or the end
I will quite happily do that when you stop trying to put your opinion forward as fact.

StR

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 07:37:15 pm »
When you write directly to me "Stop trying to ..." - put "please" somewhere, in the beginning or the end
I will quite happily do that when you stop trying to put your opinion forward as fact.

@jmccabe: Please, chill out!
Paris Geek expresses his own opinion. The same way as you do, and everybody else on this forum can.
I do not see any indication that Paris Geek has done that on your, or anybody else's behalf.

Yes, he has a strong opinion, and he is very involved on this forum, because he cares for how Aquamail works and looks. He takes his time and energy to carefully describe and illustrate his suggestions.

@jmccabe:  Feel free to express your opinion in a similarly detailed and strong way. I don't think anybody would object. But please, there is no reason for personal attacks. (Of course, people may argue with you about your suggestions, but hopefully without going to personalities.)

-----------------------------------------

@ lpetkov:
I made this comment to Kostya earlier. Not all sites keep traditional "blue" as the links.
There are different shades, see e.g.:
https://www.mail-archive.com/wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org/

I saw a reference (circa 2015) that even IE departed from the "default" link colors:
:link { color: #0000EE; }
:visited { color: #551A8B; },
changing those to "unvisited links are rgb(0, 102, 204), or #0066CC, and visited links are rgb(128, 0, 128), or #800080"
(Ref.: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4774022/whats-default-html-css-link-color )

Many websites with dark (black) background successfully use totally different colors for backgrounds (frequently gold-yellow or shades of read). See the discussion and examples e.g. here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4774022/whats-default-html-css-link-color

Look, e.g. at http://cbs.com -- they practically have no "blue" hyperlinks. And that's fine, isn't it?

jmccabe

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 08:43:38 pm »
@jmccabe: Please, chill out!
Paris Geek expresses his own opinion. The same way as you do, and everybody else on this forum can.
I do not see any indication that Paris Geek has done that on your, or anybody else's behalf.

Thank you for your comment; I'm sure you're right about Paris Geek's history on this forum but, to me comments like:

The best would be Teal

and

In one of the dev builds, -201 or 202 I think - Teal was introduced (only in the message header) and it was good.

and

.... and please replace blue color with teal and put the date on first Title line

(in another thread) come across to me as suggesting he/she is right and anyone else's opinion is invalid. More appropriate versions of the 1st two would be:

My preference would be Teal

and

In one of the dev builds, -201 or 202 I think - Teal was introduced (only in the message header) and I really liked it.

It probably didn't help that Paris Geek had replied in a pretty patronising manner, incorrectly suggesting I hadn't spotted any customisation options, in another thread that I started.

Still, let's just end this here. I'll say no more about the matter if you don't.

StR

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 09:34:04 pm »
   but, to me comments like:

The best would be Teal

and

In one of the dev builds, -201 or 202 I think - Teal was introduced (only in the message header) and it was good.

and

.... and please replace blue color with teal and put the date on first Title line

(in another thread) come across to me as suggesting he/she is right and anyone else's opinion is invalid.

Sorry to say, but you are over-reacting.
In those sentences he clearly spoke for himself.
I don't think anybody must add any disclaimers like "others might think differently" or even words "I, my", to every sentence while expressing their opinion. By default, all users (except the official representatives of Aquamail) speak for themselves, not for the entire community.
(And that's why it makes sense to voice your opinion even if you agree with someone else', - because then the developer(s) know that several users think the same way.)

I don't know if you ever participate in any technical/business/... discussions, but that's exactly how people express their own opinions, without implying the universality.

Still, let's just end this here. I'll say no more about the matter if you don't.

Amen!

arf8

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 12:49:52 am »
Well, that's the trouble with choosing colors - this sort of thing can be very subjective.

You hit it on the head, which is all the reason there should be "options" to change per users desire.

I personally think one of the reasons why Aqua Mail is great is because of the options to modify.

I'm not a fan of teal but can live with it, however it would be better if I could change it as now this teal ring pops up on my smart watch every time I get an email.

On a tangent there is an option for preview colors in the message list which is great but not one for Read & Unread previews. Would be nice to have one for each. Finding a color that works for both is a challenge in the dark theme when switching between the two.

cheers

jmccabe

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 04:16:02 pm »
Sorry to say, but you are over-reacting.
In those sentences he clearly spoke for himself.
I don't think anybody must add any disclaimers like "others might think differently" or even words "I, my", to every sentence while expressing their opinion. By default, all users (except the official representatives of Aquamail) speak for themselves, not for the entire community.
(And that's why it makes sense to voice your opinion even if you agree with someone else', - because then the developer(s) know that several users think the same way.)

I don't know if you ever participate in any technical/business/... discussions, but that's exactly how people express their own opinions, without implying the universality.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve by responding in such an arrogant, patronising and bullying way. Not only patronising to me, but also to Paris Geek who, I'm sure, is perfectly capable of fighting their own battles.

And, FWIW, in my 30 years as a software engineer, the only people I've known who've expressed their own opinions as if they were fact tend to be the people who're universally disliked by their peers. Those who are respected by their peers normally express their opinion as in the form "I think <xxxx> because <justification for why they think xxxx>".

Amen!

What was it about "I'll say no more if you don't" that you didn't get?

StR

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 05:38:56 pm »
... I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve by responding in such an arrogant, patronising and bullying way.
... Paris Geek had replied in a pretty patronising manner...

Ad hominem
(tone policing)
EOD.

jmccabe

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 07:38:29 pm »
... I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve by responding in such an arrogant, patronising and bullying way.
... Paris Geek had replied in a pretty patronising manner...

Ad hominem
(tone policing)
EOD.
Astonishing!