Author Topic: New icon for "new messages" notification wrong  (Read 9689 times)

staceyuk

Re: New icon for "new messages" notification wrong
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 06:58:20 pm »
Another vote for incorporating the old notification icon please. I find the old one makes it easier to see when I have new mail.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
IMO a notification icon is supposed to notify the user about a new incoming message. Therefore, the (open) envelope is a quite clear sign, at least for me...
Except when you have a lot of notifications the old icon was easier to see at a glance because it was clearly different from other icons.

mikeone

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 07:03:19 pm »
Android 5 and newer forces notification icons to pure white. There is a longer explanation in the FAQ.

staceyuk

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 07:18:25 pm »
Another vote for incorporating the old notification icon please. I find the old one makes it easier to see when I have new mail.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
IMO a notification icon is supposed to notify the user about a new incoming message. Therefore, the (open) envelope is a quite clear sign, at least for me...
Except when you have a lot of notifications the old icon was easier to see at a glance because it was clearly different from other icons.

Why not ask other apps to change their icons?
Because aquamail changing is what's causing the issue here. Why not have the old icon incorporated in the new one.?

mikeone

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 07:41:06 pm »
AquaMail has a new owner now (= MobiSystems) and the new owner wants a new, clean, modern designed app icon and a correspondingly adapted notification icon.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 08:25:24 pm by mikeone »

nica

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 07:46:44 pm »
Additionally it's better designed than the old one, it's unambiguous and it has a unique color which has a recognition affect.

The notification icon is the tiny android-like white version of it.

By the way:
People often judge by their habits. I needed some days to get used with the new icon (and the notification icon). After 2-3 weeks now I clearly like the new icon more than the old one.

Turtle59

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 09:24:46 am »
Nica makes a strong point...WE don't like radical change generally and this is a bigger then average change.  Inevitably it is a personal thing.  I like the clean new style and have always admired the functionality having tried 4 or 5 apps before. The icon I got straight away....if only w could get the account colour to store in the delivery icon...or maybe I haven't worked out how yet:-).

One error in my view was not enduring that all previous settings migrated across...the date split being an obvious one...as this immediately you see when opening...I always had it but after upgrade it went and I had to go find it again.   That annoyed me which is not the first reaction you want. Otherwise I love it so it's a well done from me!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Turtle59

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 12:42:33 pm »
Nica makes a strong point...WE don't like radical change generally and this is a bigger then average change.  Inevitably it is a personal thing.  I like the clean new style and have always admired the functionality having tried 4 or 5 apps before. The icon I got straight away....if only w could get the account colour to store in the delivery icon...or maybe I haven't worked out how yet:-).

One error in my view was not enduring that all previous settings migrated across...the date split being an obvious one...as this immediately you see when opening...I always had it but after upgrade it went and I had to go find it again.   That annoyed me which is not the first reaction you want. Otherwise I love it so it's a well done from me!

Sorry I can't see your response in the thread though I did get an email to tell me. I meant the one on top row of screen....one appears for each account when a new message arrives...see screened below

Turtle59

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 02:39:45 pm »
Thanks...as I thought.  Still like the new UI though :-)

mikeone

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 03:24:59 pm »

I agree with @nica's and your arguments.

However, the main issue of the new "modern / fresh" design with version 1.8 is the exorbitant "waste" of space in the message list - compared to the former versions 1.6/1.7.

I recommend to carefully read @julian's post in his thread:

https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=5450.msg32494#msg32494
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 04:52:28 pm by mikeone »

Turtle59

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 01:54:38 am »

I agree with @nica's and your arguments.

However, the main issue of the new "modern / fresh" design with version 1.8 is the exorbitant "waste" of space in the message list - compared to the former versions 1.6/1.7.

I recommend to carefully read @julian's post in his thread:

https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=5450.msg32494#msg32494
OK I understand the point.  Can't honestly say it bothers me..I just scroll up or down...and get where I want.