Author Topic: Scheduled Sync vs Push Mail  (Read 8420 times)

bkholy

Scheduled Sync vs Push Mail
« on: February 16, 2017, 06:39:40 pm »
Hi everyone - Just installed the app, and so far so good. I have a quick question regarding the difference between Scheduled Sync vs Push Mail.

If I have Push Mail enabled, does that mean I can turn off Scheduled Sync? If I have both enabled, which one takes precedence?

Thanks in advance.

bkholy

nica

Re: Scheduled Sync vs Push Mail
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 07:22:32 pm »
Hi, I recommend using both of them. 15 min for scheduled sync is fine.

Additionally, select some important folders for push, where messages should be shown immediately, e.g.  inbox folder.

There is no need to set push for Spam, folder with sent messages or folder with deleted messages.

bkholy

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:44:04 pm »
That doesn't really answer my question. What is the difference?

nica

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 07:51:01 pm »
Scheduled sync is scheduled sync for all folders.

Push is an additionally thing for selected folders. Push means that there is a permanent connection to the server, so the server can push the new mail immediately to you.

Example:
If your inbox folder is enabled for push, then every message will arrive immediately and independently from scheduled sync. However, scheduled sync will work as set also for the inbox folder, though.

mikeone

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 08:06:18 pm »
Scheduled sync is scheduled sync for all folders.

Push is an additionally thing for selected folders. Push means that there is a permanent connection to the server, so the server can push the new mail immediately to you.

Example:
If your inbox folder is enabled for push, then every message will arrive immediately and independently from scheduled sync. However, scheduled sync will work as set also for the inbox folder, though.
Nothing to say more than @nica.  8)

But just in case you could find some additional information about "push vs. scheduled sync" in the following thread:

IMAP Push / Scheduled sync
https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=2818.msg12578#msg12578
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:08:45 pm by mikeone »

bkholy

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 08:49:47 pm »
Okay... so AquaMail, I have the ability to set a scheduled sync for the whole app, account, and app level. I am assuming the same thing for Push Mail functionality. Now, if I turn off scheduled sync for the app, but push mail will be still enabled, my emails will still come in. The theory here is that you shouldn't have to push mail for all of the folders, but just for the main one, such as Inbox. For rest of them, you can have a scheduled sync. My question is, why not have push mail enabled for the whole app? Does that drain the battery more?

nica

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 09:01:18 pm »
No, push is fine for battery, in general.

But servers don't like too many folders in push mode.

Have a look for example in FAQ:

"Gmail and 'too many simultaneous connections' "
http://www.aqua-mail.com/?page_id=227

Again I recommend using both of them: scheduled sync AND push for some selected folders. That's what 99 percent of IMAP users do :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:03:58 pm by nica »

bkholy

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 09:35:58 pm »
I am not using IMAP, i am actually using EWS. I wonder if that makes a difference.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 11:15:00 pm »
My question is, why not have push mail enabled for the whole app? Does that drain the battery more?

Why of course. Catching up to every change made on the mail server *right then* is more expensive vs. getting all accumulated changes, say every 15 minutes.

Even if there are no actual changes, there is still some maintenance. Now for EWS this maintenance is much lower than for IMAP, so you may get away with more push enabled folders (compared to an IMAP account).

But I'd still keep the "scheduled sync" enabled - for both IMAP and EWS, the app is able to quickly skip folders "already up to date thanks to push mail" when it does scheduled mail syncs.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

ksuuk

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 11:08:14 am »
Hi,

Instead of opening a new topic, I'll continue this one.

My goal is to enable "Push mail" (imap), without "Scheduled sync", but without enabling "Scheduled sync", "Push mail" won't work. With "Scheduled Sync" enabled, there are few options:

Mail check interval - no option to disable checking.
Custom check interval - what is this?
Time reference point - what is this?
Minimum time between two sync events - using 00:00, description says "Not specified" in the description. Does this mean that then this setting is ignored, so that the mails are not synchronized, or on the contrary, they are synchronized all the time.

So how adjust using only push mail without scheduled sync?

mywatchesuk

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2023, 06:29:12 am »
Every two years

Janeer

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2023, 01:39:13 pm »
Push mail and scheduled sync are two different features that work together to ensure you receive your email in a timely and efficient manner. Push mail allows the server to immediately push new messages to your device, while scheduled sync regularly checks your email account for new messages at predetermined intervals. If you have push mail enabled for the whole app, it may be unnecessary and potentially inefficient because you may not need to receive all your emails immediately. Additionally, it could drain your battery and cause the server to dislike too many folders in push mode. Therefore, it is recommended to use scheduled sync for most folders, and select some important folders for push where you need to see messages immediately, such as the inbox folder. This is the usual approach used by most IMAP and EWS users.