Author Topic: Feedback on design refresh in 1.8 / Обратная связь по обновлению дизайна в 1.8  (Read 66618 times)

StR

Unless my memory deceives me, I was suggesting to make FCB icons customizable  long time ago.
(Or was it about the message view action buttons? Ghm... No, I think it was about FCB...)

So, just in case, explicitly: I add my voice to that suggestion now. ;)

julio66

In dev version xxx. 168 there was made one change saying;

- The context action bar (message actions) again has dark background for better contrast

I guess you here talk about the floating action bar and i have to say I have absolutely NO UNDERSTANDING for WHY it was changed back to dark background....
When it was introduced with white background and black/grey icons I was AMAZED that finally Aquamail is getting more consistent regarding keeping a nice and clean design. I have a LIGHT theme chosen and the white actionbar looked beautiful like this, BUT MORE IMPORTANT...it was 10 times easier to see when using the phone outside with sunshine/bright light. Now when it went back to dark background I have to use the brightness slider all the time just to see it good.
I have no understanding at all why it can't be left as white, just to be in the same style as the "default" light theme, and if anyone wants a dark one....why don't make it dark for the dark theme???

And now since we are talking about light and dark and good contrast....why hadn't there been done anything yet with the font color in the mainwindow of accounts. Here you see the title AQUAMAIL PRO changing from black to white font depending on what color you choose as main color of the app....like me using the second most common Material Style Color, BlueGrey, in both app window and as assigned color for my account...but the account name, the status of checking/sending mail etc etc can't be read because the font are in black?????

Davey126

- The context action bar (message actions) again has dark background for better contrast

I guess you here talk about the floating action bar and i have to say I have absolutely NO UNDERSTANDING for WHY it was changed back to dark background....
When it was introduced with white background and black/grey icons I was AMAZED that finally Aquamail is getting more consistent regarding keeping a nice and clean design. I have a LIGHT theme chosen and the white actionbar looked beautiful like this, BUT MORE IMPORTANT...it was 10 times easier to see when using the phone outside with sunshine/bright light. Now when it went back to dark background I have to use the brightness slider all the time just to see it good.
I have no understanding at all why it can't be left as white, just to be in the same style as the "default" light theme, and if anyone wants a dark one....why don't make it dark for the dark theme???
Although I have no personal preference on this one the dark FCB background does seem inconsistent with the white background used in overflow menus - including the one that can be invoked from within the FCB.

And now since we are talking about light and dark and good contrast....why hadn't there been done anything yet with the font color in the mainwindow of accounts. Here you see the title AQUAMAIL PRO changing from black to white font depending on what color you choose as main color of the app....like me using the second most common Material Style Color, BlueGrey, in both app window and as assigned color for my account...but the account name, the status of checking/sending mail etc etc can't be read because the font are in black?????
Not seeing this but rather a foreground color that does not adapt to the chosen background. See attached example (not what I use...just demonstrating).

Edit I: was able to reproduce some of the dark contrast issues reported above using the light (non-material design) theme.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:27:37 pm by Davey126 »

julio66

This post is a duplicate of another one here on the forum to which I've replied in detail.

https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=5317.msg31881#msg31881

This post is a duplicate of another one here on the forum to which I've replied in detail.

I removed duplicate in other post. Was confused of two topics with same title......
Now, here in this topic it belongs.....

julio66

Here I add some requested screenshots so people can see what I mean.
Remember that you outside in sunlight have a totally different view of the screen, and as seen on first screen shot (account view) being able to use a darker Material color as I here did, the text almost blend in with the color. If it is possible to use darker colors here, it should automaticly been changed to white font color when applying darker color...and vise versa...
And for the comments to me about the floating bar with black background and white icons beeing easier to see in sunlight... well I don't know what sun this person are checking with :-\ , but with the strong day/sun light we have here in north/south america there is no chances to see the white icons because they blend in with the light. You can't see the icons clear. The background yes...offcourse you see it good...but for me...and hopefully more than me...the idea was to see the icons clear, and with all sense and technology we can all say that in bright light BLACK ICONS shows best, nomatter if the users have a Nexus, Samsung or Huawei.

And just to come with a small additional remark;
 I am sorry if I offended the "expert panel of users" as they was called here in the comments AGAINST me, but it was asked for a feedback, and as a educated Designer I did my duty and did so...... and I am just happy to see that many agree with me ;-)

StR

I removed duplicate in other post. Was confused of two topics with same title......

Oh, man, I don't know what's happening on your end, but you have a major problem with duplicates...

And deleting the post from the thread where there is already a detailed response to it, ... ghm.. You need some sleep or some coffee...   ;)

StR

I am sorry if I offended the "expert panel of users" as they was called here in the comments AGAINST me, but it was asked for a feedback, and as a educated Designer I did my duty and did so...... and I am just happy to see that many agree with me ;-)

I don't think anybody here has anything against you posting your opinion and suggestions. The reason people are asking you questions is because it is not completely clear what you actually meant. Screenshots often help in such cases.

Personally, the two problems I've noticed so far in the screenshots you've posted are that the 3rd line in the selected message has a low contrast with the background, and a similar problem with the black text on the dark background of the status of the message being sent.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:23:21 am by StR »

julio66

Oh, man, I don't know what's happening on your end, but you have a major problem with duplicates...

And deleting the post from the thread where there is already a detailed response to it, ... ghm.. You need some sleep or some coffee...   ;)

I already told you the reason for "my MAJOR problem with duplicates" (even if its first time ever) and that is when I wanted to post in FEEDBACK I didn't see there was two topics with the same name....I posted one....which was in a topic started by Parisgeek....when I opened the Feedback topic (the real one) from Kostya, I didn't see my post and thought something happened, so I posted it again.

julio66

Personally, the two problems I've noticed so far in the screenshots you've posted are that the 3rd line in the selected message has a low contrast with the background, and a similar problem with the black text on the dark background of the status of the message being sent.

Sooooo good to see that you ALMOST understood me.....yes...the text is really getting dark and difficult to read if you go for using one of the standard Material color schemes, like here in my case BlueGray.....
When Aquamail has the options for selecting your own colors, there should been a function that changes the text to white on dark colors, and vise versa.....
If this is difficult, maybe an option for us to set the text color for headings/account titles.
If nothing of this is possible....then maybe the color options for us should be a bit more limited...like only being able to choose from a certain numbers colorchips...which is ONLY colors good with black font.
Then to the "almost" part.....
If you read all my text in my main post...you will understand that the second screenshot is about the FLOATING BAR...not the darkness of the selected text. I explained about the hardness to read the text on the main screen...accountlist.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:06:55 am by julio66 »

StR

I already told you the reason for "my MAJOR problem with duplicates" (even if its first time ever) and that is when I wanted to post in FEEDBACK I didn't see there was two topics with the same name....I posted one....which was in a topic started by Parisgeek....when I opened the Feedback topic (the real one) from Kostya, I didn't see my post and thought something happened, so I posted it again.

You don't seem to have noticed that you've quoted the same response of Paris Geek twice in the same message. I was referring to that, second duplication.
I am telling you, you need some sleep.  ;)

If you read all my text in my main post...you will understand that the second screenshot is about the FLOATING BAR...not the darkness of the selected text. I explained about the hardness to read the text on the main screen...accountlist.

I was describing the problems that I noticed in that screenshot.

I might also need some sleep, but I am having problems seeing what you are trying to tell about the floating bar. As far as I understand your "main" post, you are not happy with the dark background of the floating bar. But in the 2nd screenshot, the floating bar is white, not dark, and I don't see any dark background.
I am just beginning to understand that you are probably showing how it looks (looked) before the latest change. But it is really hard to judge if something is bad if you don't see how it actually looks (just based on the description of changes).

But maybe I am just misunderstanding you, - then, hopefully, someone else here will understand your suggestion better.

Davey126

I don't dislike the new icon (it's rather nice) but doesn't stand apart from other mail apps IMO
Having worked with the latest builds for a few days I have come to appreciate subtle distinctions in the new AM icon. It stands out from the others on my stock all white material design status bar (ie: black swish on new mail notifications) and looks rather nice doing so. The colored version is also growing on me. Seems my earlier judgements were a bit premature.

Classic case of grumpy old guy rejecting change just because it's different. :)

qwerty1q

I love Aquamail, the new design is great. All I wanted is (apart from the canned responses -  but Kostya is probably working on it)  to minimalize  the areas in red circle in order to expose more email text on the screen. I think we waste a lot of space there,  they don't have to be so high with a bar of space in top and bottom. I got a Mate 8 and don't really need so much space for the buttons.  Also the arrangement of the area with From: and To: could be more squeezed. There's a lot of blank space there. Best.Adam

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

qwerty1q

I love Aquamail, the new design is great. All I wanted is (apart from the canned responses -  but Kostya is probably working on it)  to minimalize  the areas in red circle in order to expose more email text on the screen. I think we waste a lot of space there,  they don't have to be so high with a bar of space in top and bottom. I got a Mate 8 and don't really need so much space for the buttons.  Also the arrangement of the area with From: and To: could be more squeezed. There's a lot of blank space there. Best.Adam

Where do you see too much blank space? See my screenshots. Thx

All in read wastes space in my opinion.

kukrapok

There could be less space maybe, but on "small" screens, such space is critical when you tap with fingers (unless you have microfingers). Is the padding space proportionnal (w/ some minimum and maximum limits) to the screen size?

vit5421

Dear Kostya,
Some people like the new design but some people don’t like it and prefer the old and clear blue design.
Is it possible to add new theme like "Aqua old Blue"s and try to keep the old design as much as possible?