Author Topic: Feedback on design refresh in 1.8 / Обратная связь по обновлению дизайна в 1.8  (Read 66513 times)

mikeone

- new app icon is generic, nodescript; could be anyone's mail app icon
I really like the new app icon/logo, since the new color (aquamarine) and also the design (the 'wave' within the open envelope) refers to the name 'AquaMail' very well.

mikeone

- detest washed out color scheme; please bring back option for vivid colors
Kostya has confirmed in one of his recent post that this option will return soon:

https://www.aqua-mail.com/download/AquaMail-market-1.8.0-168-dev-903b01f044a7.apk
- Contact "chip" colors will soon be made a little brighter, but that's not in this build
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:25:11 pm by mikeone »

mikeone

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:21:54 am by mikeone »

Davey126

Kostya has confirmed in one of his recent post that this option will return soon:

https://www.aqua-mail.com/download/AquaMail-market-1.8.0-168-dev-903b01f044a7.apk
- Contact "chip" colors will soon be made a little brighter, but that's not in this build
Saw that. Hoping "a little brighter" restores previous brightness levels (perhaps as an option)

I really like the new app icon/logo, since the new color (aquamarine) and also the design (the 'wave' within the open envelope) refers to the name 'AquaMail' very well.
I don't dislike the new icon (it's rather nice) but doesn't stand apart from other mail apps IMO

mikeone

@Davey126
I agree on both / all points  :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:08:50 am by mikeone »

nica

I don't dislike the new icon (it's rather nice) but doesn't stand apart from other mail apps IMO

I like the idea, shape and design of the new icon. This is like a modern icon should be.

But when I saw this aquamarine color for the first time, I was shocked. It seemed to be too loud and glaring. Compatible to colors of homescreens of a lot of users? So I change the color by myself for one day.

Meanwhile I changed my mind. This icon - and its color - IS unique. It is well designed and  will be recognized easily though it is a serious icon (and not a dog :)).

agpol07

- prefer conversation message count on right (previous location)

I agree with this, too.

Davey126

Just encountered the new horizontal FCB...or perhaps just noticed it (d'uh). Definately prefer horizontal over the previous vertical orientation for consistency with other apps. Nice.

ZT1

New icons nice. Widget icons could be.

Kostya Vasilyev

Just encountered the new horizontal FCB...or perhaps just noticed it (d'uh). Definately prefer horizontal over the previous vertical orientation for consistency with other apps. Nice.

The side location is more practical, but please note that we've added "overscroll padding" to message list -- e.g. you're always guaranteed to be able to scroll the list far enough so the bar doesn't overlap any message list items.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

kukrapok

I'm not sure if I noticed all the changes in this new design, but I'm really missing the button bar for actions, that was at bottom of screen when some emails were selected. Whatever it's at bottom or top I don't really care, but the top button bar only show 2 icons here, for instance: "<- 2 messages [trash] [mark-as-read] [submenu]". And for 80% of my workflow, I have to unroll the menu to find other actions, this is annoying. The previous button bar was containing more buttons (directly accessible buttons were matching 80% of my workflow). In both three cases in a folder (nothing selected, unread emails selected, read message selected, I don't talk about mixed cases), the default actions directly possible do *not* fit my needs for a comfortable/quick use.

I'm looking at my gf's phone, where AquaMail "before redesign" is still running, and definitely the bottom bar *is* handy, it provides much more actions.

A customizable button bar would definitly satisfy me and probably a lot of people, it would  be about usability, but wasn't it customizable before??

Tested on Samsung A3-2016 (HD screen in vertical mode always).

Other things:
- I use a dark theme in AquaMail, and customized quite everything customizable about colors in message list (to fit my tastes, and to take advantage of my AMOLED screen by using real black backgrounds). After this new design has applied, some of my message list personalizations were lost, but I didn't care much as I could set everything up again.
- wasn't it possible to customize colors for the email size in message list?

The new colors I didn't noticed much, since I customize quite everything possible, but the global look seemed to me smoother and still of a good material design. I don't prefer it to the former one, and I don't miss the former one, say that I'm neutral, and that both are fine :-).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:43:07 pm by kukrapok »

Davey126

I'm not sure if I noticed all the changes in this new design, but I'm really missing the button bar for actions, that was at bottom of screen when some emails were selected. Whatever it's at bottom or top I don't really care, but the top button bar only show 2 icons here, for instance: "<- 2 messages [trash] [mark-as-read] [submenu]". And for 80% of my workflow, I have to unroll the menu to find other actions, this is annoying. The previous button bar was containing more buttons (directly accessible buttons were matching 80% of my workflow). In both three cases in a folder (nothing selected, unread emails selected, read message selected, I don't talk about mixed cases), the default actions directly possible do *not* fit my needs for a comfortable/quick use.

I'm looking at my gf's phone, where AquaMail "before redesign" is still running, and definitely the bottom bar *is* handy, it provides much more actions.
Trying to understand what you are seeing as I didn't pickup on any take-aways with the new design. Wonder if 'Floating context bar' is deselected under 'Look and feel'? I have been using the FCB since it was introduced so may not appreciate (remember) the extended static button bar you are referring to. Actions in the FCB match 80% of my workflow without resorting to the overflow; then it's close to 100%. That said, I can understand the desire to customize as no two people have the same needs.

kukrapok

Trying to understand what you are seeing as I didn't pickup on any take-aways with the new design. Wonder if 'Floating context bar' is deselected under 'Look and feel'? I have been using the FCB since it was introduced so may not appreciate (remember) the extended static button bar you are referring to. Actions in the FCB match 80% of my workflow without resorting to the overflow; then it's close to 100%. That said, I can understand the desire to customize as no two people have the same needs.

Hi Davey, thanks for replying! :-)
You are right, the FCB was disabled, and I didn't use it because to turn it on, you have to turn the FAB on. I never turned the FAB on because it puts a floating button in a place that it not smart (to me) whereas it doesn't eat more place when the reply button is in the top bar. In fact I don't see the point in using the FAB and the FCB, which take way too much room on "small" screens whereas static bars takes less room and provide the same features. But I understand other people might think differently :-).
I'm not sure if the FCB enabling could be made independant from the FAB enabling, would it make any sense?
Anyway, looking at what the FCB contains, it's only 50% of my workflow that is directly accessible, 50% is still in the submenu :-). The gain doesn't worth the extra room eaten on screen. Customizable bars, whatever they are static top/bottom or floating, would help.. The hell w/ designing human interfaces ;-).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:54:49 am by kukrapok »

mikeone

Anyway, looking at what the FCB contains, it's only 50% of my workflow that is directly accessible, 50% is still in the submenu :-). The gain doesn't worth the extra room eaten on screen. Customizable bars, whatever they are static top/bottom or floating, would help.. The hell w/ designing human interfaces ;-).
Hi,
"My" FCB contains DELETE, MARK READ/UNREAD, STAR/UNSTAR, MOVE TO FOLDER... and these actions match my needs to 90%. In the submenu are only a few other actions (Delete permanently, Hide (keep on server), Move to Spam, Select all, Show header) which I'm using really, really rare.

However, I second your suggestion to make the FCB icons customizable just like the action buttons in 'message view'.

Davey126

Hi,
"My" FCB contains DELETE, MARK READ/UNREAD, STAR/UNSTAR, MOVE TO FOLDER... and these actions match my needs to 90%. In the submenu are only a few other actions (Delete permanently, Hide (keep on server), Move to Spam, Select all, Show header) which I'm using really, really rare.

However, I second your suggestion to make the FCB icons customizable just like the action buttons in 'message view'.
@mikeone - I agree with both observations and 2nd your 2nd in response to @kukrapok's suggestion :) . Hopefully the design team will give it consideration for a future release.