Author Topic: Aqua Mail is full of ads? What about the privacy policy?  (Read 38272 times)

freeman1975

Re: Aqua Mail is full of ads? What about the privacy policy?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 07:05:06 pm »
but you miss exchange

I don't use exchange anyway.

freeman1975

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 07:08:59 pm »
I switched to K9 and stopped recommending AM. At least until things change (if ever).

Or use latest any version made before 07.11.2016, for example 1.6.4-dev or 1.6.2-stable.

No, because I'd miss security updates (if any) and bug fixes. Also, having it on my phone would mean endorsing it, which i don't want to do anymore until the analytics issue is fixed (unlikely). I'm fine with K9, really.

ksuuk

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 09:37:28 pm »
I'm fine with K9, really.

The open source software common problem is, that it's UI is ugly. If You stick with K9, You may try K9-Mail version with Material Design - https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-k9-mail-material-design-source-t3415146 Right now I keep testing Aqua Mail and dropping all the unwanted traffic with AdGuard.

And BTW, if You are not using Nexus/Pixel or some rooted phone with Cyanogenmod, then sadly You are missing security updates and bug fixes anyway.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:42:15 pm by ksuuk »

Fcasoli

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 11:12:00 pm »

The open source software common problem is, that it's UI is ugly. If You stick with K9, You may try K9-Mail version with Material Design - https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-k9-mail-material-design-source-t3415146 Right now I keep testing Aqua Mail and dropping all the unwanted traffic with AdGuard.

And BTW, if You are not using Nexus/Pixel or some rooted phone with Cyanogenmod, then sadly You are missing security updates and bug fixes anyway.
K9 material design is not good for me, without command in bottom line.
At the moment Aquamail is my favorite, Profimail is great in some features, like vocal reading, originale format for images or tables included in text, the layout of folders view...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:20:16 pm by Fcasoli »

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 01:07:30 am »
Re: I asked for the possibility to have a single switch for opting-out from Flurry, but "nobody" replied.

We are going to add a setting to disable analytics.

Perhaps the thought should have occurred to us sooner, my apologies.

And yet, I'll reiterate:

Analytics is not ads.

We do not collect any personally identifiable information -- because 1) Flurry says we can't, and 2) we don't care for that anyway, analytics is only for broad statistical patterns.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

Jeff

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 01:37:49 am »

If this is done, and it truly does 100% disable all analytics, then this, I believe, will go a very long way to restoring the reputation AM had as being among the most (if not THE most) privacy-conscious email app available.

As a pro user, I would gladly pay again to keep this philosophy as it once was.

freeman1975

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 11:12:57 am »

The open source software common problem is, that it's UI is ugly. If You stick with K9, You may try K9-Mail version with Material Design - https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-k9-mail-material-design-source-t3415146 [nofollow] Right now I keep testing Aqua Mail and dropping all the unwanted traffic with AdGuard.

I don't care if the UI is ugly. I care if the app does what it has to do and doesn't do what I don't want it to do. I prefer functionality and privacy over design.

As for the second part of your reply, I'm actually using CM (Lineage), so...

freeman1975

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 11:20:09 am »
Re: I asked for the possibility to have a single switch for opting-out from Flurry, but "nobody" replied.

And yet, I'll reiterate:

Analytics is not ads.

We do not collect any personally identifiable information -- because 1) Flurry says we can't, and 2) we don't care for that anyway, analytics is only for broad statistical patterns.

Thank you for considering the possibility to include the opt-out switch. May I suggest you to mention it in the changelog when it's actually done? A lot of people would be happy to know that this happened (people actually DO read changelogs, trust me).

ksuuk

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 11:33:12 am »
Great news.

I hope, that MobiSystems can't and won't ignore the fact that vox populi is important:). 

iceman.jkh

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 11:51:55 pm »

And yet, I'll reiterate:

Analytics is not ads.

Thank you reconsidering the position on this.

I'll be happy to continue recommending AM as the best email app once this change is implemented.

Sent from my SM-G935F

Nadejda Fudulska, MobiSystems, AquaMail support

• Administrator
    • MobiSystems
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2017, 11:26:44 am »
Hi all,

We use analytics to track events that help us improve the UX of Aqua Mail. Your privacy is our utmost concern. For more details you can check our privacy policy here https://www.mobisystems.com/policies/

The new version should be released in a week, I am sorry for any inconvenience.

iceman.jkh

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 11:36:09 am »
Hi all,

We use analytics to track events that help us improve the UX of Aqua Mail. Your privacy is our utmost concern. For more details you can check our privacy policy here https://www.mobisystems.com/policies/ [nofollow]

The new version should be released in a week, I am sorry for any inconvenience.
Thanks for the reply Nadejda.

Can you please confirm what Kostya mentioned earlier:

there will be an ability to opt-out (perhaps it should be opt-in) for those users who don't wish to participate in your analytics.

Also, could you please confirm that AM will never nag for "5-star ratings" nor those "tell your friends about AM". This currently occurs with your other app, Office Suite Pro (paid version) which I've had to rate 1-star and leave a scathing review as a result of that behaviour towards PAYING customers.

Regards.

Sent from my SM-G935F

Fcasoli

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2017, 04:29:47 pm »
I honestly do not know how a software company can survive asking to pay only a few dollars for a lifetime of use, without other forms of income from the same application. I do not know what the remains of the full amount we pay in Google Play.
Therefore hope that we can get an application by those who work for the busimess, free of advertising or even lawful use of personal data, it is something quite improbable. Nobody works for the glory, some volunteers for their own pleasure and to help others, but often is converted to hard cash ...
It would be interesting to understand why pushed Kostya one hand, MobiSystems other, but I can imagine, both legitimate, but opposite in intent ... maybe.

ksuuk

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 05:43:52 pm »
Maybe they should add third version, with annual fee, but clean from everything bad.

Nadejda Fudulska, MobiSystems, AquaMail support

• Administrator
    • MobiSystems
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 06:26:38 pm »
@iceman.jkh

At the moment we are working on a new version which will have a special setting for opt-out.

I will pass your suggestions and concerns to my managers. Thank you for your feedback.