Author Topic: Feature Request - Control what address the recipient sees  (Read 3248 times)

BlakesHeaven

Feature Request - Control what address the recipient sees
« on: November 24, 2016, 01:22:24 pm »
Apologies for another feature request; especially if it's already on your list - I did look.

If I may, let me first explain how I have set up my affairs regarding email, which all grew out of controlling spam.

I have a mailbox called MyName.Storage@MyDomain. com and this is where all my email ends up.
I then have a number of forwarding email addresses that forward to this mailbox.
For example:
  • David@MyDomain. com
  • Untrusted.Temp1@MyDomain. com
  • Aquamail@MyDomain. com  8)
  • Replies@MyDomain. com
  • etc, etc...

I have already made use of the 'Reply To' option so when people hit the reply button it comes back to a forwarder, Replies@MyDomain. com

In Outlook on my PC, I can state what my email address is under user information, which is different to my mailbox login information. See attachment if not shown in-line.

I do not seem able to do this in Aquamail and when I send email from Aquamail, although the 'reply to' works fine, it does leave my storage mailbox clearly visible to the recipient. This obviously causes me an issue as I do not want my actual mailbox address displayed or divulged.

Possibly, I have missed a trick, but if not can an option be added to override the login address with a simple piece of text.
I would suggest this should only be allowed in the app config if a valid 'reply to' address is in place.

Thanks,
David
(A licenced user  :) )
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 01:25:36 pm by BlakesHeaven »

StR

Re: Feature Request - Control what address the recipient sees
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 05:22:32 pm »
From the screenshot I am concluding that you are connecting via IMAP.
So, the functionality you are looking for is already in Aquamail. (I am using a very similar approach to "virtual addresses".

You can do two things:
1. Identities. (aka aliases)
Long-touch on the account in the account list view. -> Identities.
Create as many as you'd like.

2. In principle, you can a different "From" address and login credentials when you are creating the account, by pressing on "Manual".
You can edit this information on the already existing accounts by long-press on the account name -> Rename account. 
The address you enter there will be shown in "From:" (and that will not affect your login credentials).

In either of the two ways, as long as the aliases are allowed by your SMTP server your "From:" will appear to the recipients as you set it here.
And, as long as your SMTP server does not expose your "true" login account in the headers (that depends on the SMTP server configurations, - some have e.g. "authenticated user: MyName.Storage") , it will not show up anywhere in the message.

BlakesHeaven

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 05:43:42 pm »
Fantastic - thanks very much - I'll try that tonight.
Like I said, "Possibly, I have missed a trick"  :-[
Cheers,
David

BlakesHeaven

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 12:29:51 pm »
Thanks StR.
I successfully configured an Identity and eventually worked out I needed to manually select it while composing an email.
BTW - I immediately understood "aliases", so thanks for the aka addition.

Again, maybe I missed the option, but is it possible to set the Identity to be used for the account by default to save me needing to remember for every email?

Actually hold fire on answering, after a quick look I found this:
Quote from: Kostya
There is a way to pick a specific account or alias instead -- this is in the app's global settings, under "composing and sending".

I'll check tonight again.

Cheers,
David

BlakesHeaven

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 12:01:32 pm »
This is all resolved now, using Identities (an Alias) and setting the app's global settings, under "composing and sending", to use the Identity as the default account.
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

DOuGTheDog

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 12:36:56 pm »
Thanks StR.
I successfully configured an Identity and eventually worked out I needed to manually select it while composing an email.
BTW - I immediately understood "aliases", so thanks for the aka addition.

I have set up identities but I cannot work out how to choose and use an identity when either replying or originating an email.

Can anyone help on this please?

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 03:49:26 pm »
When replying the app automatically uses the right identity (or "should").

Or you can use the drop-down "account / identity selector" - just tap in the compose window's title on the left which shows the current account / identity.

Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

DOuGTheDog

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 02:07:01 am »
Excellent. Thank you very much. You are very helpful.

Your program has so many features but sometimes it is hard to find a particular thing. ;D :(
Your image made things quite clear (and it worked).