Author Topic: Feature request: Make "Delete all" (from server) avaible for IMAP folders  (Read 2865 times)

nica

Hi, since i can not create a topic in feature request subforum, i try it here :):

Situation:
I set the delete options to "Move to trash folder", and I'm fine  with that. If I did wrong, I can restore a message one day later.

Additionally there is a "delete all" command for trash folder and spam folder which deletes straight from the server. Very good so far!

What I need:
There are specific messages (e.g. notifications from forums and other messages), which I want to delete straight from the server, too. They are collected in some specific folders by server rules. And I don't want them to be "stored" in trash when deleted. So I would like to have a possibility to delete these mails straight from the server.

Suggestions:

- Menu item to "delete all" analogue  as in trash folder and in spam folder.
I know this is dangerous for some users, who will complain later about disappearing messages. So this option could be forced to be enabled for each folder in account settings > Options and Folders > Folders

or/and

- Menu item to "delete from server" for a single mail

What do you think about it?

nica

Thank you for your amswer. :)
Dangerous: you have already mentioned it. I agree with you.
That's why I made a suggestion to avoid problems.

Not needed: currently, you've got the "Delete permanently" which is here to delete messages directly from the "folder", without moving them to Trash before that.
***At this point you are right, there is already a menu item for single messages. (But then: Why not for the whole content of a folder without selecting all messages?)

Not universal: this will not work with Gmail accounts (and maybe other servers) and this will not work offline (obviously).
Of course it will not work offline, but this is now the same situation for spam and trash folders?

And why will it not work for Gmail accounts? At this moment it works with spam and trash folders. Permanent deleting of single messages is working, too.

But you made the point with *** (see above). I can easily select all messages in a folder at once and tap "permanent delete". I focused before just on folders and forgot this menu item for messages. Thanks for the hint!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 07:15:24 pm by nica »

StR

I see that the issue is resolved, and Paris Geek has already suggested what I was going to suggest. But I have a couple of minor followup comments.

(But then: Why not for the whole content of a folder without selecting all messages?)

I cannot speak for Kostya, but I see the importance of that difference.
You don't want to have a single button that deletes all messages in a folder. It is a recipe for a disaster: It is easy to make a mistake, especially on a cell phone (Cf.: fat fingers, tumbling phone). I have folders that have over 25 000 of messages. I wouldn't want to have a potential bomb.
Spam and Trash folders is something different: those messages are already deemed to be trashed.

Not universal: this will not work with Gmail accounts (and maybe other servers) and this will not work offline (obviously).
Of course it will not work offline, but this is now the same situation for spam and trash folders?
I think that argument by Paris Geek is irrelevant. Practically any changes to the messages (at least in case of IMAP) are the same way online/offline, including "mass deleting" of messages.

Kostya Vasilyev

Re: Feature request: Make "Delete all" (from server) avaible for IMAP folders
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 11:31:39 pm »
You don't want to have a single button that deletes all messages in a folder. It is a recipe for a disaster: It is easy to make a mistake, especially on a cell phone (Cf.: fat fingers, tumbling phone). I have folders that have over 25 000 of messages. I wouldn't want to have a potential bomb.

+ 100500.

Right now if someone tells me that "AquaMail deleted all my messages", I can be 100% sure that it didn't.

It does happen, people lose valuable emails from Mr. Trump with business offers worth $BLNZ! :)

And no amount of confirmation dialogs would help me feel safe.

---

"Delete all" with a large number of messages is most likely not an everyday task, and therefore, it can be done using the best, albeit a little less convenient, tool for this particular job -- web mail.

---

PS - AquaMail does have a "delete all" for the Deleted and Spam folders.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/