Author Topic: Pulling recipient from inbox/sent  (Read 3390 times)

nibynoga

Pulling recipient from inbox/sent
« on: January 18, 2017, 05:16:24 pm »
Hi!
I've been testing AquaMail today and I think it is almost perfect. There's only one thing I'm missing. When I'm creating new e-mail, I can choose addresses from contacts and recent recipients. But it would be great if the app could also search for addresses in the inbox and sent folders used from the beginning - not just recent. I e-mail a lot of people from my work account, whose addresses I don't want saved in my contacts, and I would like the app to find and suggest them, even if I e-mailed them once a couple of months ago. It works this way for example in BlueMail and TypeApp.
Or maybe there is a way to make the app work like that and I'm just not finding it?

Congrats on the app and keep up the great work!

StR

Re: Pulling recipient from inbox/sent
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 07:54:04 pm »
@Paris Geek: Exactly!
E.g. I have a work account that has probably over 50 000 messages. If Aquamail had to look through all those messages each time I'd need to send a new message, that would take some substantial time (not to mention the associated with that data usage).

So, to make it efficient, an app can cache/accumulate all those addresses. Where? One possibility is in the cloud. (And that's what those apps probably do, I assume.) Another possibility is to store as a local database. That's why Aquamail is offering an option to store all the addresses of your e-mail recipients into "Contacts" automatically.
I understand @nibynoga's hesitation about contaminating Contacts with all those addresses (or even to save some significant number of them manually). I personally have two reasons:
1. I don't want to dilute my phone contact book (which I use for phone numbers primarily), and
2. I don't want all the apps that are snooping into Contacts to collect all those e-mail addresses. (I don't want other apps to be able to snoop in my Contacts unless I explicitly allow that, but that's a different battle.)

As a matter of fact, I would have preferred the e-mail app to have its own address book (in addition to be able to access "Contacts" database). IIRC, I expressed this to Kostya about 2 years ago, and (again, IIRC), Kostya saw some rationale in it, so it might even be somewhere on his list. But I can see that it would not be a high-priority feature, compared, say, to the recent EWS-Push.

But if more people like @nibynoga and myself would voice their need for that, that might move it up on that list (or place it there, if it is not there yet).

nibynoga

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:14:33 pm »
Email apps you're citing store all your messages (including your recipient addresses) on their servers, so it's possible for them to retrieve your recipient addresses and suggest them to you.

AquaMail does not store your privacy on its servers.

I see. I didn't think about it. So it's probably better not to have such feature than have your privacy invaded.

On the other hand, just as @StR wrote, I wouldn't like my contacts to be crowded with hundreds of addresses I rarely use. Maybe app's separate contact book wouldn't be a bad idea. Or maybe there could be a setting which lets users choose how recent "recent contacts" are. How far back does it reach now? A couple of weeks?

Thank you for your replies!

StR

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 04:25:43 am »
How far back does it reach now? A couple of weeks?

I am not sure, the developer, Kostya will have to answer that.
I would guess that it would be either based on the number of messages currently synced (or cached) or on the number of messages synced/cached since the last device reboot/restart of Aquamail.

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 10:16:48 pm »
How many is an implementation detail :) But it's 250 most recent messages from all folders (incoming and sent).

It's a fairly small number, but since these addresses are not stored anywhere else and it takes time to extract them.

And they should not be, because there are also users with the opposite problem: "I emailed my mistress / my heroin dealer / ... and now that address is showing in the app, how do I make it go away"?

I also don't feel that Aqua Mail needs to have its own Contact database, duplicating something that Android already provides (+ the ecosystem of third party contact apps / widgets / backup tools, etc.).
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/