Author Topic: Notification Bar App Launch & Repeating Notifications  (Read 5457 times)

milligandw

Notification Bar App Launch & Repeating Notifications
« on: September 21, 2016, 05:25:14 am »
I've only been using AquaMail Pro for a couple of days now, but intermittently I'm getting duplicate entries for an incoming Gmail message. My Hotmail account is also configured, but I have notifications disabled for that account.

Also, when I get the duplicate or multiple entries in the notification bar and click the notification to launch AquaMail, the  app opens on the "Accounts" screen as opposed to the Smart Folder screen, even though "Settings > Look and Feel > Start the app in = Smart Folder." If I launch the app via the AquaMail icon on the home screen, it opens on the Smart Folder screen per the app setting.

If I get a single message notification, i.e., no duplicates or multiples notifications, and click the notification, the app launches and opens the new message, which appears to be the logical behavior.

On the other hand, if I get a single message notification and clear the notification by swiping, I get another notification after approximately 1 minute. Do I need to expand the notification and select "Mark read" to stop the repeating notifications?

Notify about = New unread messages

David

StR

Re: Notification Bar App Launch & Repeating Notifications
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 08:16:26 am »
I've only been using AquaMail Pro for a couple of days now, but intermittently I'm getting duplicate entries for an incoming Gmail message. My Hotmail account is also configured, but I have notifications disabled for that account.
For your Gmail account, which folders (aka Gmail labels) are configured to be synced in Aquamail?
If you included "Inbox" and "All messages" (by default, only "Inbox" is included), then the same message appears in both, and hence you'd be getting the two notifications.
If this is the case, I'd recommend to have only one of those folders to be synced.

Also, when I get the duplicate or multiple entries in the notification bar and click the notification to launch AquaMail, the  app opens on the "Accounts" screen as opposed to the Smart Folder screen, even though "Settings > Look and Feel > Start the app in = Smart Folder." If I launch the app via the AquaMail icon on the home screen, it opens on the Smart Folder screen per the app setting.

If I get a single message notification, i.e., no duplicates or multiples notifications, and click the notification, the app launches and opens the new message, which appears to be the logical behavior.
When you tap on the notification, Aquamail opens as closely to the message(s), for which the notification is, as possible.
So, one message -> that message is opened.
Several messages in one folder -> that folder is opened (message list)
Several messages in different folders -> account view with those folders

I am not using Smart Folder myself, so, I am not sure if it is possible to configure opening Aquamail from notifications in the Smart Folder or not. I am guessing, it might not be possible.
The option that you mentioned is for when you tap on Aquamail thumbnail, not on the notification.

On the other hand, if I get a single message notification and clear the notification by swiping, I get another notification after approximately 1 minute. Do I need to expand the notification and select "Mark read" to stop the repeating notifications?

Notify about = New unread messages
Just in case: check if this setting is check-marked: Settings -> Message Notifications -> Reset on notification clear.

If the duplicated notifications are as I proposed above, due to the same messages in two folders, - then it is quite likely that this behavior is also for the same reason. It's just the instance in one of the folders gets delivered slightly later, after Aquamail has checked that folder. Hence the delayed notification.

milligandw

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 05:55:52 pm »
As it turns out I'm only syncing the inbox...see screenshot. 

StR

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 06:18:22 pm »
I see that while not syncing "All messages", you are also syncing a few other folders (labels): "business", "important", etc..
Does any of your messages end up simultaneously in one of those and in Inbox?
(E.g. you might have some rules set in Gmail that do that.)

If yes, - then the same logic applies. And the delayed-duplicated notifications would make sense: only Inbox is Push-enabled (which yields instant notifications), while the rest of the folders are synced during the scheduled sync (i.e. every N minutes [default value = 15 min.]).

milligandw

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 06:33:44 pm »
I forgot to reiterate that the duplicate notifications only occur with some messages, i.e., intermittently. 

Also "Reset on notification clear"  is checked, i.e., true.

And no,  mail only goes in those folders (i.e., business) manually - no Gmail rules configured.   

Also see screenshot of duplicate notifications...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:38:34 pm by milligandw »

StR

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 07:34:56 pm »
OK, I just checked in my Gmail, and the folder (label) "Important" is one of the "automatic" (default) labels done by Gmail.
Gmail automatically attaches that label to some of the messages (based on its internal criteria). So, besides being in "Inbox", such a new message would appear in "Important" as well.

I suggest two quick tests:
1. Look if you have the same message appearing when  you go to "Inbox" and in "Important" (for those messages that got double notifications)
2. When you get the double notification (especially for only one message), - click on the notifications, and see where Aquamail would open: I am confident now that it will open in the folder-list view. This would mean that the notifications are for two messages in different folders.
(From the point of view of most IMAP mail apps (if not all), one message with two Gmail labels appears as two identical messages in two different folders (corresponding to the labels).
As a result, deleting a message from one of those two folders in Aquamail will not delete it from the other, while doing that in Gmail (I believe) would strip away both labels, thus deleting the message from both folders.

If my hypothesis is correct, I see a few possible solutions for you:
1. Stop syncing "Important" folder (and any other "automatic" Gmail labels, if any).
or
2. Under Settings -> Smart Dfolder -> "Use for notifications" - I don't remember for sure: if you check-mark that, will Aquamail stop notifications from other folders or not.
You can experiment with that at that point. Or people who are using Smart folder (Paris Geek, Mikeone), or the developer, Kostya might provide an insight on that.

milligandw

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 09:05:52 pm »
StR,

You may be on to something regarding the duplicate notifications,  I'll look into what you've suggested. 

milligandw

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 01:56:37 am »
StR,

So far it looks as though you hit the nail on the head - the duplicate & repeating notifications were related to the Gmail > Important folder.

To eliminate the duplicates and repeating notifications was very simple: Long press the account, select Folders and Options, select Folders, tap the gear icon for Important & Starred, and check "Do not notify."

As of this post, I have not received multiple Gmail Inbox messages in a single notification yet, but I'm anticipating that when I click one, the app should default to the "Gmail Inbox - list view" as opposed to the "Folder - list view." Rationale: All of the messages in the notification are Gmail inbox messages, hence no need to present a list of folders to choose from. And if I'm correct, then all issues will be resolved.

I will post a follow-up in the next day or two after a multi-message notification arrives.

Thanks so much for your suggests!

PS - It's worth noting that none of the original issues are application bugs, but rather user ignorance on my part. :(

Other than AquaMail logo (I think the @ would look better than the capital letter "A" inset on envelope), it is infinitesimally better than Android Gmail!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:02:39 am by milligandw »

StR

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 03:46:58 am »
To eliminate the duplicates and repeating notifications was very simple: Long press the account, select Folders and Options, select Folders, tap the gear icon for Important & Starred, and check "Do not notify."
I am glad you found that.
I had thought about that solution, and started looking how to configure that, but got distracted and forgot to add it.

As of this post, I have not received multiple Gmail Inbox messages in a single notification yet, but I'm anticipating that when I click one, the app should default to the "Gmail Inbox - list view" as opposed to the "Folder - list view." Rationale: All of the messages in the notification are Gmail inbox messages, hence no need to present a list of folders to choose from. And if I'm correct, then all issues will be resolved.
Your anticipation is correct.

I will post a follow-up in the next day or two after a multi-message notification arrives.
Then, I am guessing, we are not going to hear from you about that... ;)

You are welcome!

milligandw

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 02:56:07 am »
Just a brief follow-up: I finally received several multi-message notifications today and as anticipated, when I clicked the notification the app opened on my Gmail message list.

So with that, the duplicate notifications, repeating notifications, and the app opening on the Accounts listing have all been resolved!

David