Author Topic: lock screen notifications  (Read 16359 times)

patrickdrd

Re: lock screen notifications
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 04:16:50 pm »
it just happened again with the email-notification of a new message posted in aqua-mail forum (how ironic :D),
so I send the email to kmansoft

patrickdrd

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 04:41:09 pm »
I just send an email from outlook (desktop) to my yahoo and lock screen never switched on!!!

StR

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 04:50:00 pm »
Oh, man! You've created layers of notification apps, where they might be competing with each other, potentially creating conflicts and what's not.

absolutely not, everything is working fine, and everything is tested with another email app
I was using as my "basic" one, before switching to aquamail for the basic
Well, obviously not everything, or there wouldn't be this thread...

So, when you are saying that your "Lollipop Lockscreen Android L" (LLAL) doesn't work for Aquamail, is that before or after your excluded Aquamail from it?
after of course (and obviously..)

aquamail's behavior is the same when using it with LLAL, I tried that too,
and the results are the same, already mentioned

You seem to be contradicting yourself. From these two statements, I would conclude that it happened both before and after your excluded Aquamail from LLAL. Is this correct?
In other words, explicitly: Did you observe disappearance of the notifications with LLAL-only (i.e. without Heads-up Notifications) and Aquamail included?

Since you said you've manage get it working on one phone, and not the other one:
1. What did you do for that?
2. What is the difference in the configurations between the two?
I cleaned up cache and data in both the phones, to no avail though,
I got my test emails fine, but later on I got a problematic one,
configurations are identical, when I set up the one,
I check the other to set up, and I have also tinkered with the options

Sorry this passage confuses me: Is the problem fixed on one of the phones as you reported a few posts earlier? (or you discovered that it still shows the problem?)
If it is fixed, - do you know which action has fixed it?

I suspect that the difference that you see might be in timing and not in where the messages are sent from. Aquamail's notifications are not different for different addresses. When an e-mail arrives from some other sender, - it is likely after some time since you've been using the phone. While e-mails from you arrive soon after you just switched off the screen. Right?
in both events I had my phone very close to me and checked at once, the lock screen notification should be there

No, I don't mean how quickly you looked at it. Rather, I am asking how long time has passed between you switched off the screen previously and the notification arrived.
I am just trying to find what could be different between the situations with different messages.

In any case, what you are observing should not be related to Aquamail: the notifications are posted and stay as expected in the notifications bar. It is your notification app(s) and its interaction with the lockscreen.
I don't think Aquamail's log will show anything: Aquamail handed off the notifications to the system. What other apps might do (or not do) with those, - that's about those apps.
I disagree since, as I said from start, I didn't have any issues like this with any other app, i.e. the lock screen notification was always there, till I removed it, either from the lock screen by swiping it to the left or to the right, or removing it from the status bar, I think it's related to aquamail because I used another email app and I didn't have such problems, maybe I'll switch back to that one again if I don't find a solution

Let me verify explicitly once more: Do all the notifications from Aquamail in the status bar behave as expected?
I.e. the problem you are describing (quickly disappearing notifications) is only in the lock-screen of LLAL+"Heads-up Notifications".

patrickdrd

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 04:59:58 pm »
Well, obviously not everything, or there wouldn't be this thread...
correct... obviously, yes

You seem to be contradicting yourself. From these two statements, I would conclude that it happened both before and after your excluded Aquamail from LLAL. Is this correct?
In other words, explicitly: Did you observe disappearance of the notifications with LLAL-only (i.e. without Heads-up Notifications) and Aquamail included?
I thought it was working, but later on I encountered that behavior again..
so, in both scenarios: 1) LLAL only(no HU installed on phone) and 2) HU controlling the aquamail notification,
it doesn't work properly all the times

Sorry this passage confuses me: Is the problem fixed on one of the phones as you reported a few posts earlier? (or you discovered that it still shows the problem?)
If it is fixed, - do you know which action has fixed it?
unfortunately seems not, see above

No, I don't mean how quickly you looked at it. Rather, I am asking how long time has passed between you switched off the screen previously and the notification arrived.
I am just trying to find what could be different between the situations with different messages.
should be the same in all cases, my phone is in front of me all the time, no pocket or anything

Let me verify explicitly once more: Do all the notifications from Aquamail in the status bar behave as expected?
I.e. the problem you are describing (quickly disappearing notifications) is only in the lock-screen of LLAL+"Heads-up Notifications".
yes, status bar works fine all the times, the problem is that often they go away very very quickly or they don't show up at all!
(I just here the notification and the led flashes, but I don't see it on my lock screen either when the message arrives or if I unlock my phone a couple of seconds later)

StR

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 05:13:13 pm »
OK, we cleared out some confusions and ambiguities.

yes, status bar works fine all the times, the problem is that often they go away very very quickly or they don't show up at all!
(I just here the notification and the led flashes, but I don't see it on my lock screen either when the message arrives or if I unlock my phone a couple of seconds later)
Hold on, hold on, let's not jump around.

"the problem is that often they go away very very quickly or they don't show up at all!" -- Is that about the lock screen or the status bar?
You just stated "status bar works fine all the times", but talk about disappearance in the same sentence.
Thus, explicitly:
The Aquamail message notifications in the status bar: do they stay until you clear them (as expected), or do they also disappear too quickly?

patrickdrd

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 05:35:03 pm »
"the problem is that often they go away very very quickly or they don't show up at all!" -- Is that about the lock screen or the status bar?
You just stated "status bar works fine all the times", but talk about disappearance in the same sentence.
Thus, explicitly:
The Aquamail message notifications in the status bar: do they stay until you clear them (as expected), or do they also disappear too quickly?

it's about the lock screen, it's always about the lock screen,
I have no problem whatsoever with the status bar,
they stay in the status bar until I clear them

StR

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 06:48:31 pm »
Thus, explicitly:

it's about the lock screen, it's always about the lock screen,
I have no problem whatsoever with the status bar,
they stay in the status bar until I clear them

OK. Thanks for confirming this. (And thank you for your patience.)
Then, it means that Aquamail does not remove those notifications. If it did, the notifications in the status bar would have disappeared as well.
In this case Aquamail has no knowledge (nor it should) about your apps: LLAL, HU, or whatsoever.

Let me try to explain this via an analogy:
Aquamail brings a cat to the room (Android notifications system). You see the cat in the room with your own eyes through the video (via the status bar). Then, there is a surveillance system with cameras that watches the room and displays images of things in the room to the TV screen. (That's your LLAL or LLAL+HU.)
Your surveillance system may decide not to show some objects by switching off some cameras either completely (when you exclude certain app's notifications from LLAL) or shortly after showing those objects for a few seconds and switching to a different camera (for whatever internal reasons...) But even if your surveillance system doesn't show the cat on TV, as long as you can see the cat in the room (aka status bar), you cannot blame Aquamail for removing the cat from the room, because it didn't.
Aquamail has no control over or knowledge about the "surveillance system" of LLAL/HU.
And that's why I reiterate this statement:
I don't think Aquamail's log will show anything: Aquamail handed off the notifications to the system. What other apps might do (or not do) with those, - that's about those apps.

I am not the developer, and I don't know Aquamail code, but I think that this statement also stands:

In any case, what you are observing should not be related to Aquamail: the notifications are posted and stay as expected in the notifications bar. It is your notification app(s) and its interaction with the lockscreen.
There is a very slim chance about Aquamail's indirect involvement in that the type of notifications from Aquamail could be somehow different from those posted by other apps, and LLAL is not handling those notifications the same way.

While Kostya, Aquamail developer, might have some insights about that, the best course of resolving your problem would be to contact LLAL. Ask them why their app would remove a notification (some notifications, not all) from the screen lock while the notification remains in the status bar (this is important to stress to them).

Please report here what their response would be.

PS. In that analogy above, there is also a possibility of your surveillance system being sabotaged by someone interrupting the cables between the system and the TV display. That would be your other apps (battery, memory, performance, ... optimizers). You are confident that you don't have any of those, so, we are not digging that way.

PPS. When you compare the notifications that disappear from the screenlock prematurely vs. those that do not disappear from there, is there any correlation with whether those notifications are
(a) for a single message or for multiple messages. (e.g. it stays for a single message but disappears for multiple messages, or vice versa)
And if you have Push enabled:
(b) from PUSH or from the scheduled sync (i.e. from the folders for which Push is not enabled, e.g. "Sent")

PPPS. I remember Kostya mentioning that in case if you had a pin-based security enabled in Aquamail, the notifications would not show on the lock screen (or something like that). But that is not the case, - because some of the notifications from Aquamail do appear in the LLAL screenlock and stay as expected.

patrickdrd

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 07:22:35 pm »
actually I opened the log file and found this

MailStateWatcher   Removed default notificaiton

StR

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 08:45:48 pm »
actually I opened the log file and found this

MailStateWatcher   Removed default notificaiton

So what?
I don't know Aquamail's code, but I am ready to bet that this log entry corresponds to the normal operation, - when you cleared the notifications from the status bar. (That happens as a legitimate operation. Aquamail does remove its notifications once you cleared them by swiping away or by opening Aquamail.)

But it has no way to remove the notification exclusively from LLAL+HU without removing the notification from the status bar.

patrickdrd

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 08:50:34 pm »
I don't know Aquamail's code, but I am ready to bet that this log entry corresponds to the normal operation, - when you cleared the notifications from the status bar. (That happens as a legitimate operation. Aquamail does remove its notifications once you cleared them by swiping away or by opening Aquamail.)

But it has no way to remove the notification exclusively from LLAL+HU without removing the notification from the status bar.
doesn't those two statements contradict each other?

anyway, let's wait for kostya, since I got a crash trying to send an email just now, too

patrickdrd

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 08:57:00 pm »
another strange thing is that even though I can see the attached log file in sent item inside aquamail,
I cannot see it neither in my email client on my pc (thunderbird),
nor in the yahoo web browser,
this app is strange, very, very strange  ???

mikeone

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2016, 09:05:47 pm »
another strange thing is that even though I can see the attached log file in sent item inside aquamail,
Nope, I'm using AquaMail since three years now, nothing strange with this app.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 11:00:13 pm by mikeone »

mikeone

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2016, 09:15:03 pm »
How is your account configured in AquaMail?
If you are using IMAP or Exchange Web Services(EWS):

> Please try to' match' the 'Sent' folder from AquaMail with the specific server side 'Sent' folder.

Details how to proceed you will find in the App's FAQ-Site:
http://www.aqua-mail.com/?page_id=227

> search for "How do I access server side folders"

StR

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2016, 09:31:32 pm »

doesn't those two statements contradict each other?

No, they don't. I don't know how particular methods, actions, etc are called (and how they would appear in the log). But I know sufficient information about both Aquamail and Android to understand how things work.

Even though I do not know all details of the nuclear fusion processes happening inside the Sun, I know that the Moon does not emit light of its own, despite being the brightest object in the night sky. Rather, that light is reflected.

In Thunderbird and Yahoo WebMail, you don't see the "sent" message or you see the message but without the attachment?

If the app crashed when you were sending that message, the message may not have been synchronized properly with the server. Over more than 3 years (maybe even more than 4) I've seen only 1 crash of Aquamail. You can send the crash log to Kostya (it was create automatically) - for further investigation of what might be going wrong with your Aquamail.

patrickdrd

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2016, 09:33:02 pm »
imap