Author Topic: Seems like this latest version has a problem (red exclamations)  (Read 12522 times)

davidmark2

Re: Seems like this latest version has a problem (red exclamations)
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 04:08:21 am »
Never got any debug log(s) from this user.
Unsurprisingly

I assume you are some sort of fanboy, but I did indeed send a debug log to Kostya at one point and it was discussed here somewhere (or maybe by private email).

davidmark2

Re: Seems like this latest version has a problem (red exclamations) SOLUTION
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 04:22:55 am »
Went back and found what looks like a clue in an old private email thread. Here is the salient excerpt:

"The app asks for the list of UIDs (identifiers, they're fairly short,
numeric) of ALL unread messages -- so it can count how many there are
and show a *server side* unread count, per folder."

So "mikeone", in future, please keep your ignorant assumptions private; they just confuse the issue for everybody else. And Kostya, you must have forgotten our email discussion entirely.

Anyway, thanks Kostya, as you seem to have hit it on the head with that. I must have lost interest in our discussion last spring and never read the last message. My advice is to make this behavior optional as it is clearly the cause of my issues. Will post back after going through the drudgery of telling GMail to mark them all as read. It will do maybe 10-20K at a time and then throw an error like clockwork. Tried repeatedly to do this operation in Aqua Mail and it never took. I figure that will do it. Thanks again!

One other note for those interested in the behavior when you have an extraordinarily large number of unread messages. It appears, as Kostya alluded to in the same email, that most email clients do NOT ask for the entire list of IDs. I went around to every email client in the house and did find one other (a dusty old MacBook Pro that I rarely use) that seemed to be timing out in similar fashion. Again, this should probably be an optional feature; I, for one, don't care about the unread message counts. Another suggestion is to use more descriptive error messages (preferably in the client, but certainly in the log). "Network Error" doesn't help diagnose the issue. Something like "Timed out retrieving unread IDs" would have solved this last spring. Granted, it's better than what the Mac does in this case; just leaves a little clock icon by the folder forever. Another suggestion: get the messages first, then get the unread counts (when possible). A timeout getting the unread counts should not prevent the client from getting new mail. ;)

I admit I have been hard on you here, but I use this app for automation with Tasker and hate it when apps work for a while then inexplicably fail with vague error messages. When it works it is almost perfect; apologize for calling it a PoS in an earlier post. The one thing I still don't get is why the push isn't working for me. Surely it doesn't try to get this unread ID list during a push operation. (?)

Also, this forum lost one of my replies on a session timeout. Had to type it all over again. :(
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:16:51 am by davidmark2 »

davidmark2

Re: Seems like this latest version has a problem (red exclamations) SOLVED
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 06:46:56 am »
Yep, that seems to have done it. The two clients (including Aqua Mail) seem to have settled down now that I marked the bulk of the messages unread. Adjusted GMail filters to do that automatically for most messages. Unfortunate that I can't see those messages in the shade now (they are new after all, just read), but beats the endless timeouts. :)

And got lucky and found the answer (or an answer) in another thread as to why push was not working for me. Apparently it only works for the Inbox folder? Not thrilled about that feature, but can live with it. It's misleading in that the shade shows that push is enabled, but as I am synchronizing a different folder, there's apparently never going to be a push. It also indicates IMAP push is enabled for the folder in Account | Options and Folders | Folders. So perhaps the post in the other thread was a red herring? Maybe the lack of push notifications was due to it being constantly busy trying to do a 2+ minute sync every two minutes? Please advise.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:19:05 am by davidmark2 »

davidmark2

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 10:20:16 am »
One other note, does Tasker match only unread messages? At a glance that appeared to be the case, so had to turn off the GMail filter that set that attribute. No big deal now that the root of the problem is known; just have to take care to clean up the mailbox once a year.

StR

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 03:26:11 pm »
And got lucky and found the answer (or an answer) in another thread as to why push was not working for me. Apparently it only works for the Inbox folder? Not thrilled about that feature, but can live with it. It's misleading in that the shade shows that push is enabled, but as I am synchronizing a different folder, there's apparently never going to be a push. It also indicates IMAP push is enabled for the folder in Account | Options and Folders | Folders. So perhaps the post in the other thread was a red herring? Maybe the lack of push notifications was due to it being constantly busy trying to do a 2+ minute sync every two minutes? Please advise.

If you are still experiencing problems, you may want to read and follow this FAQ item: "How do I enable Push mail?" http://www.aqua-mail.com/?page_id=227

If you make sure that PUSH is enabled in all 3 places as described there, and your mail provider (who is that?) has a standard PUSH (e.g. Yahoo doesn't), then I'd suggest changing sync frequency to a higher number. I am not sure if that interferes, but 2 minutes is too frequent, IMHO.
If PUSH is working, you can safely set that back to the default 15 minutes.

Also, you can enable other folders for PUSH (as described in the FAQ). Inbox is enabled by default.

davidmark2

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 05:17:59 pm »

If you are still experiencing problems, you may want to read and follow this FAQ item: "How do I enable Push mail?" http://www.aqua-mail.com/?page_id=227 [nofollow]

If you make sure that PUSH is enabled in all 3 places as described there, and your mail provider (who is that?) has a standard PUSH (e.g. Yahoo doesn't), then I'd suggest changing sync frequency to a higher number. I am not sure if that interferes, but 2 minutes is too frequent, IMHO.
If PUSH is working, you can safely set that back to the default 15 minutes.

Also, you can enable other folders for PUSH (as described in the FAQ). Inbox is enabled by default.

Push is most assuredly enabled per the configuration and shade notification. However, I read in another thread here that it is only for the Inbox, not other IMAP folders. Glad that's not the case. :)

I use GMail and it certainly supports IMAP push and perhaps it is working now (the previous issues were likely causing it to not work as expected). Will keep an eye on it, but it's been working much better since I marked the majority of my messages as read. Seems almost instant in most cases, which is what I would expect. May try setting sync back to 2 minutes and see what happens, but pretty happy with it the way it is now.

Thanks!

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2016, 10:25:55 pm »
If you've got push enabled, you will want to keep scheduled sync enabled (so it gets the other folders that don't have push enabled, by default only the Inbox does) and also acts as a watchdog on push mail.

But you don't need "every 2 minutes", this will drain the battery or will be throttled by Android. Every 15 minutes is just fine.

To enable push for other folders (not too many, please -- maybe 2-3 is fine):

Please long press the account -> options and folders -> folders.

Let it refresh.

Tap "a" folder, make sure to set it to sync ("Sync, plain folder" is fine, or for Sent/Deleted/Drafts, keep as "Sync as Sent", "Sync as Deleted", etc).

Then tap the settings icon to the right of folder name, and enable push for that folder in a popup window.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

davidmark2

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2016, 05:39:55 am »
If you've got push enabled, you will want to keep scheduled sync enabled (so it gets the other folders that don't have push enabled, by default only the Inbox does) and also acts as a watchdog on push mail.

But you don't need "every 2 minutes", this will drain the battery or will be throttled by Android. Every 15 minutes is just fine.

To enable push for other folders (not too many, please -- maybe 2-3 is fine):

Please long press the account -> options and folders -> folders.

Let it refresh.

Tap "a" folder, make sure to set it to sync ("Sync, plain folder" is fine, or for Sent/Deleted/Drafts, keep as "Sync as Sent", "Sync as Deleted", etc).

Then tap the settings icon to the right of folder name, and enable push for that folder in a popup window.

No question the app at least thinks it is enabled for the one folder I monitor as it says so right in the settings (must have already did what you indicated). It's the root of a huge hierarchy of folders related to my automation system, so ideally push needs to work for it. Assume it does, but was previously foiled by the ID retrieval timeout. Again, I'd get the mail first and worry about the totals after; that really fouled things up for me and I wasn't using the app in any sort of undocumented way. Realize it was a rare case, but those are the ones that get you as an app developer. Glad we could finally get on the same page and figure it out, now I hope you will make the changes it demands in a future release.

Glad to hear that the other post I read was erroneous; stated that Inbox was the only one that could do push. Figured that was wrong, but seemed to explain at least part of the behavior I was experiencing. Red herring as it turns out.

I'll keep an eye on it and may well put it back to check every 15 minutes instead of 2. I agree that's all it should require.

Thanks again for what is truly an excellent app (that one bug notwithstanding).