Author Topic: Keeping email.  (Read 6236 times)

SteffJay

Keeping email.
« on: March 09, 2016, 01:11:19 pm »
I installed AquaMail on my mobile phone, all went well.

However, when i receive emails on my mobile, i would like to keep them on there as a reference.

When i check my emails on my PC and then delete them, they disappear from my mobile as well.

What changes can i make to stop this? I do not want to make or create a new folder to put them in to keep them.

Thanks in advance.

paras.desai

Re: Keeping email.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 01:13:23 pm »
Change the setting in your computer  like "Do not delete from server" while deleting from  your computer like outlook

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

SteffJay

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 01:19:41 pm »
Change the setting in your computer  like "Do not delete from server" while deleting from  your computer like outlook

I have already tried this but my mailbox gets very full very quick and have to delete emails from the server to receive more.

paras.desai

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 01:21:23 pm »
Another alternative is to have pop instead of imap on your phone

Using Tapatalk

SteffJay

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 01:25:36 pm »
Another alternative is to have pop instead of imap on your phone

Thanks for the reply.

They are all POP.

SteffJay

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 03:21:02 pm »
Keeping emails as reference on a mobile device is not a good solution. Of course, you're free to do what you wish, but just be aware that you're living dangerously by doing that  -  as a user, I would not recommend that.

The best solution : create a folder on server side to save those important messages, AND use Imap mode.

Thank you for the advice. I need to keep a reference to all of my emails when I am mobile, so as to see what is urgent and what isn't. I personally cannot see a problem with keeping a copy of emails on my mobile device.

paras.desai

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 05:36:14 pm »
If all are pop,  server deletion is disabled  then mail on all device will be there as long as your memory permits,  mail application can not help,  I guess

Using Tapatalk

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 03:54:19 pm »
Re: Keeping emails as reference on a mobile device is not a good solution.

Keeping emails as reference only on a mobile device is not a good solution.

Just having messages accessible on the mobile device -- no problem, that's what we all do.

---

And I second the already posted explanation:

Your desktop mail app is currently set up to delete all messages from the mail server after it checks mail. Please turn this off.

Bad idea because of two reasons:

- The issue you reported

- Your messages right now are only stored (long term) on the "big" computer. Should something happen to it (a virus, a hard disk failure, etc.) -- you'll lose all your messages and won't be able to re-download them from anywhere.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

das1996

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 02:15:39 am »
Keeping emails as reference on a mobile device is not a good solution. Of course, you're free to do what you wish, but just be aware that you're living dangerously by doing that  -  as a user, I would not recommend that.

The best solution : create a folder on server side to save those important messages, AND use Imap mode.

I took this a different approach for my own.  Years back I set up my main email account to forward all incoming emails to another account.  This secondary account is configured on the phone (imap).  This way, should something happen where I delete an important email by accident or the email app has an issue, my desktop's email access is completely isolated from the phone.

My PC pulls in emails using pop3.  Only the last 2 months of emails for the primary account are stored on the server.  As for the secondary account (on the phone), once viewed, unimportant emails are immediately deleted.  Every so often I'll log into webmail for this account and clear out everything else, keeping again the last 2 months or so on the server.

This strategy has worked well because most (99.9%) of emails are never replied to.  If I absolutely have to reply to something, I'll bcc myself so I have a record of the response on my mail account.  This whole solution may not be the most efficient, but it provides some level of redundancy.

Another benefit, should the phone ever be lost/stolen, I can disable the forwarding, login to webmail to delete all messages on the secondary account without affecting anything on the primary.  As soon as the lost/stolen phone is connected to data, all messages are erased as a result of imap syncing.

das1996

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 07:24:24 pm »
Local data is on a mirrored drive, so if one crashes there's always the mirror.  Every so often the entire data set is backed to another drive too.  I suppose all this is somewhat involved, but it's my method of trying to keep my data off the cloud.