Author Topic: Chromebook Aquamail Issues / PDF and Contacts  (Read 12155 times)

BlueCam

Chromebook Aquamail Issues / PDF and Contacts
« on: February 10, 2016, 07:07:09 pm »
Ok so I cannot open PDF attachments on the chromebook version of Aquamail...why? I've used various PDF extensions and apps but still no go. Any idea when this issue will be dealt with?

-Also, how do you add email addresses to the contacts? I don't see any option to do so. I can pull up a contacts tab but there is no option to add any data to it.

So many issues with this version .. ugh

mikeone

Re: Chromebook Aquamail Issues / PDF and Contacts
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 09:05:53 pm »
Yep, "So many issues with this version...ugh",
Too bad... for an app in an experimental OS environment.  8)

> cannot open PDF attachments

Please have a look into and continue with your other thread;
http://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=4419.msg24408#msg24408

> how to add email addresses to the contacts?

Can you please check the app's settings:
> Menu > Settings > Contacts > scroll down to the very last item and enable the option "Auto-add contacts"

Another setting should be worth to try:
> Menu > Settings > Contacts > disable tbe first item of the section 'Composing and sending": Contact chips

I hope these suggestions could be helpful.

Kind regards
Mikeone
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:20:24 pm by mikeone »

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 08:43:04 pm »
Re: So many issues with this version .. ugh

If you mean "the AquaMail version running on Chrome OS", then please allow me...

AquaMail is an Android app.

Google made it possible to run Android apps (packaged appropriately) on Chrome and Chrome OS, so I took the opportunity.

However, it's still an Android app. And maybe this "Android inside Chrome OS" doesn't work exactly the same way as "regular" Android does.

For example, to answer your question about contacts:

On Android, you can tap the sender's image in an incoming message to see his/her "quick contact card", and if the address is not in contacts yet, there is a way to add it.

Please try this. Does it work? Yes - great. No - Google has another missing piece of "Android on Chrome OS" to implement.

In addition, AquaMail can "auto-save" the recipients from your messages, as you send them, in Contacts (app settings -> Contacts -> auto-add).

But of course, being an Android app, it saves them as an Android app would -- using Android functions. How do you access those then? A question for Google, really.

Same with PDFs -- on Android, the answer is "just install a PDF viewer and if one doesn't work, try another one, there are many in Play to choose from".

On Chrome OS, can you even install another "Android" app -- "inside the same Android partition" as AquaMail is running in?

Or at all, can you install it separately (let's assume), will "AquaMail for Android running on Chrome OS" be able to interact with "PDF viewer for Android running on same Chrome OS device"? The way they'd be able to interact when both are installed on same Android device?

If not, that's another thing that Google needs to provide, to make "Android inside Chrome OS" work more like "real" Android.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

BlueCam

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 07:19:06 pm »
Ok so what I'm hearing is, that for whatever the reason, the Chromebook version of AquaMail is crapola. Got it.

mikeone

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 07:44:10 pm »
Ok so what I'm hearing is, that for whatever the reason, the Chromebook version of AquaMail is crapola. Got it.
Obviously you didn't got it.  8)

BlueCam

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 08:00:02 pm »
Well if I cannot utilize one of the most basic, primary features (like opening simple PDF attachments) then for me and for many people I presume, would indicate the Chromebook version of AquaMail is crap, plain and simple. Whether it's a Chrome issue or an AquaMail issue.. none of that is relevant to the end-user. They just want an app that works.

mikeone

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 09:07:59 pm »
Sorry,but you're on the wrong track.
I'm not sure if you can not understand Kostya's explanations or simply don't want to understand.

If you are really interested in understanding the core of this issue and which party (only) could solve this issue I recommend to reread or rereread carefully  Kostya's post.

BlueCam

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 09:44:00 pm »
I don't give two cents about explanations. I don't care and not interested in them. I need a solution to be implemented so I can download PDFs.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:45:36 pm by BlueCam »

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 09:52:41 pm »
AquaMail is an Android app, and "magically" (Google's magic) it's possible to run it on a Chrome OS device.

Given that too much here is out of my control (this magical "Android inside Chrome OS") ...

... I made the full version of the app available for free, and I'm sure there are a few people who are grateful.

If it doesn't work for you -- it didn't cost you anything, don't use it, find another app that suits you.

Have a nice day.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

mikeone

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 09:59:09 pm »
I don't give two cents about explanations. I don't care and not interested in them. I need a solution to be implemented so I can download PDFs.
I'm not really surprised about your attitude That's what I'm calling 'ignoramus'.

Davey126

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 10:26:04 pm »
There is a organ associated with comments like this. You wear it well.

BlueCam

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 08:41:59 pm »
I'm sure it's fascinating really but I don't have the time to for a full tutorial on the metrics of how and why. I need helpful instructions so I can implement a solution if there is one available. If not, then fine. I just need to know.
I was on the Chromebook forum and was told this issue has already been brought up several times with AquaMail. I was informed the issue and solution lies with AquaMail and not Chrome. So this is what I'm dealing with.. Lots of pointing fingers combined with the natural arrogance that bubbles up with the tech savvy. Why is it so difficult to admit a flaw or lack of a solution? All I get is a tremendous amount of attitude and the cop-out response.. "if you don't like it then don't use it". Can we please temper the smugness and help me? Thanks :)
And btw.. I'm using AquaMail on my Samsung Note4 and two tablets for over a year. And.. I paid for the premium version on those. All I wanted was uniformity on all my devices that's why this issue is important to me. Apparently, AquaMail doesn't really give two cents..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 08:54:28 pm by BlueCam »

mikeone

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 09:12:28 pm »
@BlueCam:
The point is it's not Chrome OS itself, it's not the PDF viewer and it's not AquaMail that needs any "fixes". The issue is outside these parties.

Both apps are running on Android, and Chrome intercepts certain functions and "bridges" them into Chrome itself. So that's pretty much out of the apps hand.

It's simply that "Android inside Chrome" partition / environment needs enhancements to provide a better functionality for interactions between Android apps (AquaMail  <> PDF viewer) more like "real" Android. And this could be implemented only by Google's dev team.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:01:00 pm by mikeone »

Davey126

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 09:21:04 pm »
I'm sure it's fascinating really but I don't have the time to for a full tutorial on the metrics of how and why. I need helpful instructions so I can implement a solution if there is one available. If not, then fine. I just need to know.
I was on the Chromebook forum and was told this issue has already been brought up several times with AquaMail. I was informed the issue and solution lies with AquaMail and not Chrome. So this is what I'm dealing with.. Lots of pointing fingers combined with the natural arrogance that bubbles up with the tech savvy. Why is it so difficult to admit a flaw or lack of a solution? All I get is a tremendous amount of attitude and the cop-out response.. "if you don't like it then don't use it". Can we please temper the smugness and help me? Thanks :)
And btw.. I'm using AquaMail on my Samsung Note4 and two tablets for over a year. And.. I paid for the premium version on those. All I wanted was uniformity on all my devices that's why this issue is important to me. Apparently, AquaMail doesn't really give two cents..
Good strategy - keep biting the hands that try to help. Contributors are volunteers who unselfishly share their time and knowledge. They owe you NOTHING. If you want to play the 'paid' card contact the developer and request a refund. I'm sure he will be more than delighted return that huge investment.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:14:23 pm by Davey126 »

BlueCam

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 12:11:25 am »
Once again.. more nasty, sarcastic banter from the altruists but with zero solutions.
What was it that I just said about that tech-arrogance? Your reply just personified that. In any case, the few bucks I paid for the paid version is irrelevant. However, when hundreds of people pay a few bucks it sure begins adds up doesn't it? I made it a point because the prior poster emphasized the "FREE" angle. So as long as it's free, don't complain because it's free. Gotcha.. And if I mention that I paid for the premium version, shut up with that too because my few measly dollars are worthless. Can't win with you guys. Pretty sad and tragic IMHO.