Author Topic: delete with swipe vs "X" on bottom  (Read 5459 times)

larryg

delete with swipe vs "X" on bottom
« on: September 18, 2015, 05:21:39 am »
seems when I delete using the swipe, mail winds up in my deleted box.  When I use the "X" on the bottom, it disappears completely, can't find it anywhere.  Sometimes I hit the "X" by mistake.  Is there any way to change a setting so it goes to my deleted folder?  Using imap

thanks,

Larry

mikeone

Re: delete with swipe vs "X" on bottom
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 09:19:03 am »
seems when I delete using the swipe, mail winds up in my deleted box.  When I use the "X" on the bottom, it disappears completely, can't find it anywhere.  Sometimes I hit the "X" by mistake.  Is there any way to change a setting so it goes to my deleted folder?  Using imap

thanks,

Larry
Yes, fortunately there is an option implemented by Kostya.  It's an individual Account setting:

> go to the app's main window (account list view) > long press on (each) account name > Options and folders > Account options > scroll down to "Deleting messages" > choose the first option "Move to Deleted folder first"

Than the icon will change from "X" to a "trash can"  8)

larryg

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 02:29:43 pm »
wow, that's great.  program is tremendous with all these features, just wish these settings were easier to find.  thanks again.  Assume the ones that were "x" are irretrievable  :'(

mikeone

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 08:36:49 pm »
wow, that's great.  program is tremendous with all these features, just wish these settings were easier to find.  thanks again.  Assume the ones that were "x" are irretrievable.
Yes, since it reallymeans what it says: "Delete from the server immediately"... irretrievable  :(

larryg

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 01:57:39 am »
ok, so follow up please.  I have two email accounts, 1 an imap and the other gmail.  Both now have the trashcan instead of the "X".  When I delete on my phone from gmail, the message goes to the deleted folder both on my phone and on my computer.  However, when I delete from my imap account, it goes to deleted on my phone, but stays in my inbox on my computer.  Both seem to have the same exact settings.  Any hint?

StR

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 05:56:19 am »
As far as I know, Gmail (as a mail service) is somewhat special in how it deals with the deleted messages. So, the proper way of deleting messages for Gmail accounts is to move the message to the server's Trash .

Aquamail has a built-in "[Deleted]" folder. It can be "mapped" (and synchronized) to a particular folder on the server (in many cases called "Trash"), or it can be left not configured to sync to any folder.

When you set up a Gmail account in Aquamail, Aquamail is smart to recognize Gmail, and maps (with syncing) "[Deleted]" to Gmail server's "Trash".
When you set up a non-Gmail account in Aquamail (connecting via IMAP), Aquamail may or may not guess properly (or at all) where to map [Deleted].
I suspect in your case, with what you call "IMAP account", [Deleted] is either not mapped at all or mapped incorrectly. So, it doesn't sync with the correct folder on the server.
You can check where [Deleted] is mapped by a long-press on the left-hand-side of [Deleted] in the expanded account view. (It will have a colored left top corner if it is mapped/being synced, I believe.)

To choose the folder to which you want to map your [Deleted]
[long press on the account in the account view] ->Options and Folders -> Folders

Kostya Vasilyev

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 02:10:15 pm »
Re: when I delete from my imap account, it goes to deleted on my phone, but stays in my inbox on my computer

What StR wrote above -- make sure the account's Deleted is "mapped" to a server side folder.

Oh, and since mail apps don't sync with each other, but rather sync with mail server(s) each, I'd use web mail to monitor what's really happening.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/