Author Topic: Let's discuss: push mail for Exchange  (Read 54635 times)

mikeone

Re: Let's discuss: push mail for Exchange
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2015, 08:31:41 am »

I mentioned Mailwise just to say that it has two peculiarities worthy of attention.
Aquamail is certainly the best. However just remember 5 years ago Nokia was the best phone brand, today no one appreciates as then, everything changes quickly. So we must see what others do better to become the best of them. Thanks Kostya Vasilyev, for your excellent software, allow me to insist: no push to exchange your software will lose positions in the ranking of the best apps.
You can trust that Kostya is aware of this need (to get 'push mail for Exchange") ... and he is already dealing to get a smart solution which will make the users satisfied.
As far as I know Kostya is hard working to implement this feature - without using ActiveSync - perhaps in the coming major release (v 1.6).

Please see the discussion on Google+ and be patient - please - :

https://plus.google.com/111661559774274998746/posts/H729tvNuC14
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:35:12 am by mikeone »

Nathan W.

« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2015, 03:13:08 pm »
Good morning from Arizona-U.S. 
First - I want to state that the Android email app I have defaulted to since discovering it is AquaMail.  By far the only Android app I prefer to use for my email.

Second - For the past 1 year I have been using the Windows Phone 8.0/8.1 platform, and have been using it specifically for the reasons for this posted topic that I am replying to. I was an avid user of Android from 2010-2014 in which I was forced to switch due to my companies corporate policies and lack of support for Android/activesync devices. Currently supported at my workplace only are iOS and Windows Phone devices. However, recently I began researching more within the use of AquaMail and being able to sync my corporate mail using EWS. I had not attempted to do this before because Android was not a supported platform, and so assumed not to try it anymore.  Normally using all other Andorid mail apps with acivesync would fail, along with quarantining my phone on my mail account.  Long story short--I began attempting to use AquaMail EWS feature to access my corporate email last week since switching to a Windows Phone.  To my surprise (for lack of a better word) it worked (well...for a short while).  After I had jumped to using a Windows Phone (activesync), I had tossed all my Android devices so was only able to use the older version of AM on an older Moto Droid X2 device.  I am going to have to post more in another separate thread about my issues staying connected to my corporate email using EWS.  In any case the AquaMail app is THE ONLY Android Platform app I have ever been able to use to connect to my corporate email account with.  I am sure there are other EWS email apps out there that might connect to my corporate email too, but honestly I will stay devoted to AM if I can get it to work with my corporate email.

Third - I agree with most posts in this forum and second the advancement of the AM app as it exists now. The activesync protocol though feature rich gives its creator/author more control, and in the end as we all know more change in their pockets. If there is a way to get what is needed out of what is already in place with some tweaks and fine tuning then that is the best option IMO--though never the easiest.  I am not a developer, but write and modify UNIX/Linux scripts weekly for myself to better do my job, so my hat's off to you Kostya.  To lay the foundation of this app down so that it can be as solid as it is, allowing it to be updated/supported as you most definitely have, and to even expand on it to make it better with the demands and needs going into the future is very rare coming from a standalone Android developer.  I see so many apps out there orphaned nowadays.  Thank you.

tmoody

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2015, 01:16:40 am »
I've used most of the mentioned email apps at one time or another, but keep coming back to Aqua. Push for my live/hotmail account would be nice, but at the end of the day I have to ask myself how crucial it really is. If I were a courtroom attorney, needing last-minute updates, or something similar, that would be one thing. But in my world, I can't really count it as much of a hardship to have to wait 15 minutes for email--especially with so many other instant message options available.

The threaded/conversation view is another thing entirely. It's a feature that I once didn't care for, and tended to turn off, but over time I've gotten used to it and hope it's not too far off for Aqua. So in terms of priorities, I'd place it ahead of push mail for Exchange.

Nova

« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2015, 04:31:03 pm »
Hello, I'm new to AquaMail, but I love the simple and nice interface.
I'd also like to have push notifications for Exchange, but for the time being I "solved" it using an IMAP account (for the eMails), and another Exchange account (for the calendar).
This (seems) to work fine, for the time being.

Message threading / conversation is certainly higher priority to me, but if there is enough interest by the time I finish that...
Please don't implement threading / conversation, or at least set this to optional (configurable).  :D
I find this confusing, and much more confusing when I try to:
* set an email as unread: I get the whole thread as unread, so on the PC I find a lot of mails unread (not just the last one!)
* delete an email in the middle of a thread, without (accidentally) deleting the whole thread.

StR

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2015, 07:22:43 pm »
Message threading / conversation is certainly higher priority to me, but if there is enough interest by the time I finish that...
Please don't implement threading / conversation, or at least set this to optional (configurable).  :D
Seeing how configurable Aquamail is, I have no doubts, that will be a configurable option.

Nathan W.

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2015, 07:51:09 pm »
On all email apps I use that are capable I've turned off conversation view.  Personally prefer that.  Not all mobile email apps use or display conversation view the same way.  Are threaded views the same as conversation view?  Like that found in OWA 2010 and higher.  So for me having threaded/conversation view as optional is ideal.  However I doubt based on the way AquaMail is built and as configurable as it already is that an update would be released where conversation view is missing an on off option.

BPretzel

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2015, 08:30:26 pm »
I may have posted this in another thread.
My need for Exchange Push in AM went from "required" to "nice to have" and now "I don't care"

I have an elegant but simple solution and it's been working flawlessly;
 - Set AM to sync with Exchange only once a day
 - Install some other email that supports ActiveSync, just for notifcations (most are garbage compared to AM)
 - Use Tasker with some plugins to check notifiations and trigger AM to sync my Exchange account

Done!

I added some Tasker code to turn off the redundant nofitications but it's still pretty basic and just works. I'm getting dozens of Exchange emails daily, I get them within seconds and my AM battery drain is hardly measurable.

Did any more details of this workaround ever get submitted? What email notifier (for initiating an AM sync on EWS) and what code (to remove redundant notifications etc)? This seems to be quite an elegant approach and certainly better than my use of two accounts for the same e-mail...

stevealb

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2015, 01:17:25 pm »
I use Tasker for this as well, since I must have push on my exchange account and I think AM is the best email client. I use Autonotification Intercept Event to capture the Push notification from the stock email client in Android which is set for my exchange account. That notification triggers AM to pull email from the same account, and voila, AM now has Push. While not as elegant as having built in Push, it does allow me to use AM for my exchange account.

Finferlo

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2015, 09:02:28 pm »
There is nothing that pisses off more our Kostya: mention push in exchange
but this remains the Achilles heel of this software.

nadir husain

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2016, 09:24:16 am »
 @kostya can an office 365 be auto forwarded into a personal account lets say @gmail.com ? if yes then this can be a workaround for a lot of your users who want push for office 365

StR

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2016, 09:54:31 am »
@kostya can an office 365 be auto forwarded into a personal account lets say @gmail.com ? if yes then this can be a workaround for a lot of your users who want push for office 365
I would consider privacy implications related to using Gmail (especially a free account) for business e-mail.
Even when using Gmail with paid business accounts, some entities negotiate special contracts with Gmail about storage, privacy, access and retention of the information contained in the e-mails.

nadir husain

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2016, 11:18:13 am »
Agreed . But would that not be better than using a cloud based third party app to get exchange. in other words would you not trust google servers over a third party app server ? maybe i am missing something here.
[/quote]
I would consider privacy implications related to using Gmail (especially a free account) for business e-mail.
Even when using Gmail with paid business accounts, some entities negotiate special contracts with Gmail about storage, privacy, access and retention of the information contained in the e-mails.
[/quote]

StR

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2016, 10:38:20 pm »
In some (many?) cases would be a policy violation. So, the answer is:  neither.

And yes, I trust Google: it does read your emails, in accordance to its TOS.

(If you are in the US, you can ask the Senate if they would entrust Clinton's emails to a Gmail server. 8) )