Author Topic: PGP encryption should be moved to the top of the feature list  (Read 44640 times)

nadir husain

Re: PGP encryption should be moved to the top of the feature list
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 10:23:12 am »
agree absolutely ,  completely and totally with crashdamage.  as one who has used/played with/tested every email app on android with over a million downloads  and a recent migrant to aquamail i can safely say this is one mother of an app.  " you can check out but you can never leave".  both pgp and activesync are necessities in todays business environment  even though,  admittedly,  there are arguments against  the implementation  or usefullness of both.  these two additions will make this app "complete"  in todays technology world,  more complete than any email app on any platform.  users would be happy to pay for both as plugins -  i say plugins since everyone might not want the paid facility to be mandatory.  but please kostya do think seriously about incorporation of activesync and pgp.

mikeone

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 08:08:51 pm »
Kostya,

I also agree with the statements above from crashdamage and nadir husain and all the other users who are greedy for ActiveSync and Encryption.

Most of them are using AquaMail for their private mail accounts and they appreciate this really great app.
Now these users are on a "point of no return" as aptly described by Nadir and they want to use your powerful app with all these beloved features and customizations also for their business accounts.

Now, after finishing that marvelous implemented "Conversation view" is a very good time / opportunity for thinking about the future for the ongoing development of AquaMail.

How about a "fork" for business use, a separate app named e.g. "AquaMail Business" which could contain all these "I need it for business" features like ActiveSync, Encryption, Full Calendar- and To-do- sync / integration,... (whatever upcoming needs business user will have in the future)?

The advantage would be to get a separate business model for commercial use, e.g. a monthly or yearly payment plan (like other apps for professional use)

Nevertheless, private users are still be able to take advantage of the pro features by a one-time fee - just not with the specific extensions of business requirements like ActiveSync, Encryption and others...

Catscratch

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 09:39:16 pm »
Oh he could also switch to an aquamail version with in-app payment. Then all users can choose the features they want. And you could get paid for every new feature to be implemented.

crashdamage

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 10:22:02 pm »
Kostya,

I also agree with the statements above from crashdamage and nadir husain and all the other users who are greedy for ActiveSync and Encryption.

Most of them are using AquaMail for their private mail accounts and they appreciate this really great app.
Now these users are on a "point of no return" as aptly described by Nadir and they want to use your powerful app with all these beloved features and customizations also for their business accounts.

Now, after finishing that marvelous implemented "Conversation view" is a very good time / opportunity for thinking about the future for the ongoing development of AquaMail.

How about a "fork" for business use, a separate app named e.g. "AquaMail Business" which could contain all these "I need it for business" features like ActiveSync, Encryption, Full Calendar- and To-do- sync / integration,... (whatever upcoming needs business user will have in the future)?

The advantage would be to get a separate business model for commercial use, e.g. a monthly or yearly payment plan (like other apps for professional use)

Nevertheless, private users are still be able to take advantage of the pro features by a one-time fee - just not with the specific extensions of business requirements like ActiveSync, Encryption and others...

Yes, I love the idea: $10 per year for Aquamail Business. But is it really a good business model? Will there be enough paying customers to sustain the expenses?
Any idea how to figure that out other than actually trying it?  If you tried to do some market research by an email to current users you:

a. Might tick some off with the 'Spam'.
b. Would get inaccurate results because current users don't need the features.
c. Might not get enough responses to mean anything.

I think ya probably just gotta grit your teeth and go for it.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001

P.S.  it will be very interesting to hear what the Boss has to say about this conversation.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 05:30:56 am by crashdamage »
Android since v1.0.  Linux since 2001.

crashdamage

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 08:40:53 am »
Apparently the Boss has no comment at all.   You certainly don't owe anyone any explanation.   And I realize you already stated your position - basically, hey I 'm just one guy.

But, Kostya, I respectfully submit that it would be, uh...let's say, polite and thoughtful to let users know your opinion of the points that have been made in the last few posts of this thread.

Whatever...many thanks for me great app.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:15:34 am by crashdamage »

nadir husain

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 08:58:42 am »
The "Boss" is probably brooding/thinking/mulling over the possibilities . Hey maybe he will spring a surprise and one day in the not too distant future he might say"hey you... all of you.... here take this " and bingo we have encryption and then there will be a moment of silence and then another round of "what do you ...um... what do you think of this " and we have activesync ..... dream on nadir  ;)

mikeone

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 09:49:02 am »
The "Boss" is probably brooding/thinking/mulling over the possibilities . Hey maybe he will spring a surprise and one day in the not too distant future he might say"hey you... all of you.... here take this " and bingo we have encryption and then there will be a moment of silence and then another round of "what do you ...um... what do you think of this " and we have activesync ..... dream on nadir  ;)
:) Yeah, it's December, Christmas time, come and make my dreams come true...

someone

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 12:41:46 pm »

Encryption is a niche feature -

Let's focus on mass market requests: UNDO functions, snoozing messages, more customizable widgets, new skins, reorganize (very rich) settings, etc. And if there's more time : review the message/list display to get even more fluid navigation (get instant window opening for example even on slower devices).
+1
Especially undo, reorganize settings, and message filters.

crashdamage

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 12:56:00 pm »
Encryption is kinda niche, true.  ActiveSync is needed by far more users.  But if you need them not having them is a deal-breaker.  If AquaMail is to be taken seriously as a fully capable enterprise-quality client those functions, especially ActiveSync, must be available.

Your list of UI tweaks, while thoughtful, is itself a list of niche improvements.  Combined they would attract a tiny fraction of the number of users that one thing, ActiveSync would.

Personally, I couldn't care less about PGP or ActiveSync.  I'll never use either one.  I'm just suggesting what IMHO is the only way AquaMail can successfully continue long-term.  Maybe grow signficantly and make Kostya a pile of money.

crashdamage

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 06:36:23 pm »
For ActiveSync, there are aleady very good apps (costing more than AquaMail Pro).,
Sure, like Nine or Touchdown.  I'm just saying AquaMail should be a member of the club.
For what you call UI tweaks there are free apps (Type Mail is one of them).
I'm not sure what you mean.  But Type Mail is, like many clients these days, cloud-based and cannot be considered secure.  See this:

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7051405

To Kostya to decide which way to take. IMHO, AquaMail should remain a universal app, having lots of settings, covering very large customer needs, especially UI tweaks.
I don't know him or anything about his situation.  I hope he goes in the best direction for his happiness.  I'm simply pointing out what AquaMail needs to stay relevant, grow the userbase and make money, which likey would contribute to his level of happines.

You're absolutely correct that AquaMail should be universal.  ActiveSync and maybe encryption just adds major components that greatly increases the universal appeal.  Nine, for example, is a fine ActiveSync client but has no IMAP or POP3 capability.  It's passed over by many people because of that.  Adding ActiveSync immediately makes AquaMail very appealing to those needing an all-in-one solution.

UI tweaks are nice but won't sell AquaMail like ActiveSync and encryption will.  Kostya can always get a back to working on those UI refinements later.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 06:49:40 pm by crashdamage »

rob

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 11:41:21 am »
Apparently the Boss has no comment at all.   You certainly don't owe anyone any explanation.   And I realize you already stated your position - basically, hey I 'm just one guy.

But, Kostya, I respectfully submit that it would be, uh...let's say, polite and thoughtful to let users know your opinion of the points that have been made in the last few posts of this thread.

Agree.

Since I "bumped-up" this thread on 17th Dec, Kostya replied in other threads, not here.

@Kostaya, are you tired in repeating your phrases of older threads? It looks like it.

Well, If you really have nothing to say we need to make up our own minds, what the
silence you are spreading is meant to be....

But, as "crasdamage" already mentioned:

It's about being polite and respectful to get involved
in communication, especially if it's not only in general, but specificially addressing you personally.

crashdamage

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 01:49:40 pm »
As I said before I've recommended - promoted, advertised really, AquaMail many, many times and gotten many people to try it..  That in turn generates requests for help.  I don't mind at all but I have spent considerable time doing tech support.  Not here, in other forums.

Anyway, the point is not to pat myself on the back.  Thing is, I get asked a lot if AquaMail will ever get encryption or, especially, ActiveSync,  I have to tell them I don't know but that I'm not aware of any plans.  That turns off a lot of people even if they don't need it now. They don't want to get invested in AquaMail if they may have to go to something else later.  They're looking for an all-in-one solution.

I wish I could give a more definitive answer.

Nine users are in a similar situation, waiting to see if it will ever get IMAP and POP3 support.

Android since v1.0.  Linux user since 2001.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:53:59 pm by crashdamage »

mikeone

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 01:50:59 pm »

Agree.

Since I "bumped-up" this thread on 17th Dec, Kostya replied in other threads, not here.

@Kostaya, are you tired in repeating your phrases of older threads? It looks like it.

Well, If you really have nothing to say we need to make up our own minds, what the
silence you are spreading is meant to be....

But, as "crasdamage" already mentioned:

It's about being polite and respectful to get involved
in communication, especially if it's not only in general, but specificially addressing you personally.
I do not agree.

@chrashdamage, @rob:
Please look into this thread and you will get requested polite and respectful answer(s) from Kostya.

http://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=2623.msg11172#msg11172

crashdamage

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 01:55:04 pm »
Thanks mikeone!

Hmmm...in a nutshell, he says his plate is pretty full (I expect it always will be) and not now regarding encryption.  Doesn't really address ActiveSync.  But the thread is kinda old and I an't help wondering what his current thoughts are.

Android since v1.0.  Linux user since 2001.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:10:40 pm by crashdamage »

mikeone

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 03:01:46 pm »
Yes, the thread mentioned in my previous post is concerning the headline of this thread "PGP encryption should be moved..."
 8)

... a "recent" statement from Kostya you will find right here in this thread:

07. January 2015
http://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=3183.msg15342#msg15342
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 03:06:49 pm by mikeone »