Author Topic: Multiple notifications and conversation view  (Read 1670 times)

Kujo

Multiple notifications and conversation view
« on: May 16, 2022, 12:34:48 am »
Hi,

I'm having some issues with notifications and the conversation view and some suggestions to improve them. Most importantly the notifications.

When there are multiple notifications, due to unread messages, they are displayed in a sort of cramped, compressed list which can't be expanded. Compare this to most every other app where multiple notifications can be expanded by swiping down to reveal more information in a first swipe and, just as crucially, with another swipe reveal quick action buttons for each individual email (delete, mark as read, answer,...).

In Aquamail however, there is only one set of quick action buttons for all unread messages unless I open the app. Not very practical at all.

I attached an image showcasing the issue using Nine mail as a counter example. In both cases the notification was expanded as much as possible.

In the FAQ it is stated the style of notifications can't be changed and has to be changed in Android settings. However, all other apps work "properly" in this regard, only Aquamail doesn't, so it has to have something to do with the app, as there are no android settings regarding this on my phone at all.

Unless I'm missing something, in that case I'd be more than happy to be pointed in the right direction.

Side note: the german text for the delete action is a bit weird, as it is incomplete. Shortening it to just "löschen" would be better.

My second point would be concerning conversation view. It's not so much an issue as it is a suggestion for an improvement, because conversation view isn't really a conversation view at all but more like a stack of messages. Something more like in Spike, Nine or others would be great, were it resembles something like a chat conversation which gives a more intuitive and fast overview over which messages were received, which ones were sent etc. And it would look much smoother too.

Lastly, a small request; offer the option to only display a message's folder in the smartbox/unread maillist instead of either account+folder or none. Also, colouring that box's frame instead of its background would help with readability in my opinion. Again, I attached an image to clarify what box I mean.

Alright, this turned out longer than I anticipated, so I'll be quick now. Hope to get some feedback to my requests and suggestions. :)

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 12:38:48 am by Kujo »

Martin, Aqua Mail Support

• Global Moderator
Re: Multiple notifications and conversation view
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 08:27:45 am »
Hi Kujo,

The behavior for notifications you're seeing can be adjusted. Aqua Mail can present the same way Nine Mail does in your screenshot if you enable in Settings > Message Notifications > Manage per account & Smart Watch Enhancements. The first splits the notifications per-account, the second splits the management per-message.

As for conversation view - you are correct, we might have named it improperly since it represents message threads, not conversations in the sense of an instant messaging app. I'm fairly certain email got first dibs on "conversation" in that sense but IM apps have become more popular over time. We don't currently have plans to make changes to message threads but if we do, we will consider this idea as well as the one about the Smart Folder account/folder presentation (colors).

Martin

Kujo

Re: Multiple notifications and conversation view
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 08:29:52 pm »
Hi Martin,

thank you! (Re)enabling the smart watch enhancement did it! I had some hope it'll be just a settings issue because I saw no one else complain about it. Glad that it was. :)

Too bad about the conversation view (regardless of the naming ^^) but in the end it's just an esthetics question. Maybe I can find some customization settings to make the sent messages stand out/back.

Anyway, the notifications were my main source of frustration and luckily it could be resolved. Thank you for your fast help. I think this just decided my struggle between Nine and AM.

Cheers!