Author Topic: Using AquaMail with OpenKeychain  (Read 17068 times)

logicprobe

Using AquaMail with OpenKeychain
« on: October 19, 2014, 10:27:14 pm »
Add me to the (growing) list of those who would very much like to see integrated support for OpenPGP and S/MIME in AquaMail. I'm already an AquaMail Pro user, but I would pay extra for this feature if OpenKeyring were supported. How much would it take to convince Kostya to add OpenPGP and S/MIME support? GoFundMe or Kickstarter anyone?

Until then, there's a somewhat clunky way to send and receive encrypted messages with AquaMail and OpenKeyring.

Assuming OpenKeyring is installed, the private key has been added, and there's at least one public key for a contact, I compose a new message in AquaMail in the usual fashion. When I'm satisfied with it and ready to send, I "select all" and "cut". Then I switch to OpenKeyring and select "Encrypt text". I paste the message from the clipboard into the "Type text" area, select the recipient's key, select the signing key, and encrypt to clipboard. Switch back to AquaMail, open the draft that was automatically saved, paste the encrypted PGP message, and send.

Reading an encrypted message that you've received is similar. Most modern mail apps that support encryption use S/MIME attachments. Select "View" on the attachment menu in AquaMail, and select a text editor from the pop-up menu. In the text editor, "select all" and "copy". Switch to OpenKeyring, tap "Decrypt" and then "Decrypt from clipboard". After supplying your passphrase, OpenKeyring will display the decrypted message.

Replying to an encrypted message requires more copy/paste from OpenKeyring to AquaMail to get the decrypted original message into your reply, but it can be done.

As I said above, this is a clunky procedure, kind of kludgey, but it works. And it's all we have with AquaMail until support for encryption is integrated. Unfortunately it appears that we'll be waiting quite a while for that, perhaps indefinitely, according to Kostya's posts elsewhere on the forum.

I tried K-9 Mail, but it gave me an error with OpenKeyring and the 4096-bit key I imported. AquaMail remains the best email app I've tried on Android.

--
logicprobe
Galaxy Nexus (stock)
Nexus 10 (CM11)

Kostya Vasilyev

Re: Using AquaMail with OpenKeychain
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 02:11:39 am »
It's not difficult to convince me that feature X is desirable.

The difficult part is -- that my queue of tasks that all "need done yesterday" is about six months deep.
Creating debug logs for diagnostics: https://www.aqua-mail.com/troubleshooting/

The official FAQ: https://www.aqua-mail.com/faq/

Лог-файлы для диагностики: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/troubleshooting/

Вопросы и ответы: https://www.aqua-mail.com/ru/faq/

schworak

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 09:03:38 pm »
You are doing a great job with AquaMail. I have purchased keys for myself, my wife, ex-wife (when we were still together), each of my kids (all adults now) and I recommend it to everyone.

I too would pay extra (mentioned this in another post on the subject). Even if it was an add-on feature since most people probably don't need it. That way the base functionality is one fee and if we want the PGP we pay the extra fee to turn it on.

BeefEater

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 08:43:36 pm »
Yes, I too would pay extra to buy an addon that enables OpenPGP support in AquaMail.

lack

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 12:08:57 pm »
+1. Pgp support via openkeychain would be a great feature

liquid_ter

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 06:07:46 pm »
+1
I would be happy if there is a way for openPGP with OpenKeychain in AquaMail.
That would be real added value!

suishigen

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 08:43:30 pm »
+1

me too, I am forced to walk away from aqua mail that I love, as it does not support encryption.
Now using k-9 mail and nine mail

StevenATTAG

aqua-mail.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 06:31:03 pm »
hi all

laclac

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 02:58:56 am »
Hello,

I confirm, me too I could pay for this feature.
I changed my provider of mail, ad I must uninstall Aqua and replace by the horrible K9-Mail because my new provide uses PGP.
 is this feature is in your roadmap ?

For information, current there is just K9mail on android compatible with PGP.If AquaMail will be, you will win lot of new users because you will be a good alternative.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:03:32 am by laclac »

rusbaron

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 11:41:58 am »
As i see,this feature request comes from 2013....So i don't think,that they have anything security in roadmap

MarkMessinger

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 07:03:33 am »
+1

me too, I am forced to walk away from aqua mail that I love, as it does not support encryption.
Now using k-9 mail and nine mail
Good to know that K-9 supports PGP. I'd prefer to stick with AquaMail, but as others have observed here, PGP support has been sought from AquaMail for several years.

Werner Naseweis

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 06:22:38 am »
I would be happy if there is a way for openPGP in AquaMail.

Radoslav Stoyanov

• AquaMail QA
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 10:43:19 am »
Hi,

We are working on S/MIME support and soon after that we'll integrate the support for openPGP too. :)
AquaMail QA Team

Deltafox

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 02:21:01 am »
Hi,

We are working on S/MIME support and soon after that we'll integrate the support for openPGP too. :)
Any news on openpgp integration?

Inviato dal mio Pixel 2 XL utilizzando Tapatalk

Nedialko Kondev, MobiSystems, AquaMail Support

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 10:27:32 am »
Hi,

openPGP will have to wait for now. The next big feature we'll be researching next is message filtering. There are simply a lot more users asking that we look into that as soon as possible. Sorry to disappoint, but sometimes we change plans in order to accommodate what most users like and want.

Regards,
Nedialko